buggered

  • Wes
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 25, 2005
      G'day all,
      coupla questions, i put a sugar wort together and as the good woman
      won't let me ferment it in the house i put it in the shed.
      Temperature outside was mid 20's, i wrapped the container in a wool
      blanket and it started to work. I had to go away for 2 days and the
      temp dropped to 8 overnight, when i returned not much was happening
      so i wrapped in in an electric blanket on high. Left it for a week
      with still little activity (checked the wort temp 30). It dosen't
      register any alcohol and is cloudy after 4 more days of sitting with
      no heat.
      Have I buggered it ?
      Can it be resurected?
    • Robert N
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 25, 2005
        Wes, get yourself two items, a hydrometer and a alcometer, available at all
        homebrew shops. These are essential items for all of us, especially when
        learning or trying to diagnose a problem. Drop the hydrometer in the wash
        and tell us what the reading is plus the recipe that you used. IE how many
        kg's of sugar, type of yeast and nutrients etc?

        Depending you yeast type they normally go DORMANT in cold weather, they
        usually do not die unless frozen.

        Yours in Spirit

        Robert

        _____

        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 25, 2005
          I used 8kg of sugar and 22 litres of water with a stillspirits turbo
          yeast all in a 24 litre plastic beer fermenter.
          I have an alcometer but the hydrometer will have to wait until mid
          week when i get near a store.
          I have another one going great guns in an ordinary 20 litre plastic
          drum.
          I have used both containers before with success.
          cheers
          Wes

        • jmsmckenna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 25, 2005
            u could do like i do an use an aquarium heater theyer only about 20
            quid,leave your fermenter in the shed with no insulation an set the heater till bout
            23 degrees an no matter wot the temp drops to overnite u should be ok,it
            works for me an i live in ireland an its damned cold over here at the min,hope
            this helps

          • Robert N
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 25, 2005
              Hi Wes, a guessamate of your starting gravity would be 1.100 ~ 1.120. You
              wrote that "it doesn't register any alcohol and is cloudy after sitting for
              four days without heat" the alcometer won't work when dropped into the wash.
              I would leave it until you get the hydrometer and can take a reading as the
              only thing you have to loose is time, although if you are in a hurry to
              start another then it's only a twenty dollar loss. Your choice.

              Yours in Spirit

              Robert

              _____

              I used 8kg of sugar and 22 litres of water with a stillspirits turbo
              yeast all in a 24 litre plastic beer fermenter.
              I have an alcometer but the hydrometer will have to wait until mid
              week when i get near a store.
              I have another one going great guns in an ordinary 20 litre plastic
              drum.
              I have used both containers before with success.
              cheers
              Wes

              In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...> wrote:
              > Wes, get yourself two items, a hydrometer and a alcometer,
              available at all
              > homebrew shops. These are essential items for all of us,
              especially when
              > learning or trying to diagnose a problem. Drop the hydrometer in
              the wash
              > and tell us what the reading is plus the recipe that you used. IE
              how many
              > kg's of sugar, type of yeast and nutrients etc?
              >
              > Depending you yeast type they normally go DORMANT in cold weather,
              they
              > usually do not die unless frozen.
              >

              > Yours in Spirit
              >
              > Robert
              >

              > _____

            • mickm2au
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 25, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert N" <dinks_c@y...>
                wrote:

                Snip
                > Hi Wes, a guessamate of your starting gravity would be 1.100 ~
                1.120. You

                Snip

                > I used 8kg of sugar and 22 litres of water with a stillspirits
                turbo
                > yeast all in a 24 litre plastic beer fermenter.

                Hi guys,
                I find I get a starting SG of 1150 - 1160 with 8 kg of sugar topped
                up to 25 litres and Alcotec turbo yeast gets it down to under 990
                after about 5 or 6 days.

                Cheers,
                Mick
              • stevolate
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 26, 2005
                  Hi Mick
                  I use alcotec 48 turbo with 8 kilo sugar topped up to 25 litres
                  and only get SG of 1130.

                  Happy drinking

                  Stevo

                  > Hi guys,
                  > I find I get a starting SG of 1150 - 1160 with 8 kg of sugar topped
                  > up to 25 litres and Alcotec turbo yeast gets it down to under 990
                  > after about 5 or 6 days.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Mick
                • mickm2au
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 26, 2005
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > Hi Mick
                    > I use alcotec 48 turbo with 8 kilo sugar topped up to 25
                    litres
                    > and only get SG of 1130.
                    >
                    > Happy drinking
                    >
                    > Stevo

                    Hi Stevo,

                    The last brew I used Alcotec 24 as the brew shop had run out of 48,
                    the start SG was 1160 at 30 deg C which equates to about 1157. I
                    might try it again with the next brew just to confirm, I'm pretty
                    sure I was sober when I took the readings !!

                    Cheers,
                    Mick
                  • stevolate
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 26, 2005
                      Hi Mick
                      Mine was tested 1130 at 28 deg C.
                      I had tested before cooled down and was 1120 at 37 deg C

                      Happy drinking

                      Stevo

                      > Hi Stevo,
                      >
                      > The last brew I used Alcotec 24 as the brew shop had run out of 48,
                      > the start SG was 1160 at 30 deg C which equates to about 1157. I
                      > might try it again with the next brew just to confirm, I'm pretty
                      > sure I was sober when I took the readings !!
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Mick
                    • mickm2au
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 29, 2005
                        Hi Stevo and others,

                        Just put a new brew down using 8 kg sugar topped up to 25 litres and
                        get an SG of 1160 again. I'm using one of the color coded beer and
                        wine hydrometers of which the scale goes up to 1150 and its actually
                        sticking up out of the brew past the scale...

                        Does any one else get these type of start readings ?
                        Is this the correct type of hydrometer to use ?

                        Cheers
                        Mick

                        wrote:

                        > Hi Mick
                        > Mine was tested 1130 at 28 deg C.
                        > I had tested before cooled down and was 1120 at 37 deg C
                        >
                        > Happy drinking
                        >
                        > Stevo
                        >
                        > > Hi Stevo,
                        > >
                        > > The last brew I used Alcotec 24 as the brew shop had run out of
                        48,
                        > > the start SG was 1160 at 30 deg C which equates to about 1157. I
                        > > might try it again with the next brew just to confirm, I'm
                        pretty
                        > > sure I was sober when I took the readings !!
                        > >
                        > > Cheers,
                        > > Mick
                      • stevolate
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                          Hi Mick
                          I have put your figures in Harry's formula to work out Alc %.

                          Harry's formula:
                          SG start 1.160 subtract finish SG of 0.990 = .17 / 0.0074 = 22.972% alc
                          As far as I know the best you can get is about 21%, yours is nearly 23%.
                          Mine only reads 1130 with the same ingredients.

                          Happy drinking

                          Stevo

                          > Hi Stevo and others,
                          >
                          > Just put a new brew down using 8 kg sugar topped up to 25 litres and
                          > get an SG of 1160 again. I'm using one of the color coded beer and
                          > wine hydrometers of which the scale goes up to 1150 and its actually
                          > sticking up out of the brew past the scale...
                          >
                          > Does any one else get these type of start readings ?
                          > Is this the correct type of hydrometer to use ?
                          >
                          > Cheers
                          > Mick
                          >

                          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...>
                          > wrote:
                          >

                          > > Hi Mick
                          > > Mine was tested 1130 at 28 deg C.
                          > > I had tested before cooled down and was 1120 at 37 deg C
                          > >
                          > > Happy drinking
                          > >
                          > > Stevo
                          > >
                          > > > Hi Stevo,
                          > > >
                          > > > The last brew I used Alcotec 24 as the brew shop had run out of
                          > 48,
                          > > > the start SG was 1160 at 30 deg C which equates to about 1157. I
                          > > > might try it again with the next brew just to confirm, I'm
                          > pretty
                          > > > sure I was sober when I took the readings !!
                          > > >
                          > > > Cheers,
                          > > > Mick
                        • Levi Langershank
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                            I have never understood the 'quest' for the elusive
                            'rediculiously-high-alcohol-wash'....I may be mistaken and welcome any
                            corrections that may be needed.....it is my understanding that the amount of
                            alcohol produced is limited to the amount of 'food' the yeast has to
                            consume...example;8kg sugar in 25l water will produce the same amount of
                            alcohol as 8kg sugar in 50l of water...if my reasoning is correct,why do so
                            many people attempt to ferment to such high ABVs?...in an industrial
                            setting I could understand the need.In a hobby setting,it dosnt make much
                            sense to me....JMPO(yet again...:>).....that said.....I have always had good
                            luck with an SSG of 1.09-1.08....just keep adding water till the desired SSG
                            is reached.....much easier on the yeast also...:>)
                            Levi
                            (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank"
                              <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                              > I have never understood the 'quest' for the elusive
                              > 'rediculiously-high-alcohol-wash'....I may be mistaken and welcome
                              any
                              > corrections that may be needed.....it is my understanding that the
                              amount of
                              > alcohol produced is limited to the amount of 'food' the yeast has
                              > consume...example;8kg sugar in 25l water will produce the same
                              amount of
                              > alcohol as 8kg sugar in 50l of water...if my reasoning is
                              correct,why do so
                              > many people attempt to ferment to such high ABVs?...in an
                              industrial
                              > setting I could understand the need.In a hobby setting,it dosnt
                              make much
                              > sense to me....JMPO(yet again...:>).....that said.....I have
                              always had good
                              > luck with an SSG of 1.09-1.08....just keep adding water till the
                              desired SSG
                              > is reached.....much easier on the yeast also...:>)
                              > Levi

                              Agreed. It seems to be a common thing, particularly among newbie
                              distillers, to make a wash as strong as possible. The same newbies
                              come back & say "why is my wash stuck, taking so long, still sweet"
                              etc. etc. ad infinitum. Commercial distillers NEVER make washes
                              much above 8% potential abv, even though they easily could.
                              Reason? Try explaining to shareholders why 300,000 litres of wash
                              got dumped because of infection caused through extended fermentation
                              times.

                              Osmotic pressure will kill yeast in a heartbeat. The higher the
                              sugar to liquid ratio, the higher the osmotic pressure, AND if it
                              doesn't kill the yeast outright, it WILL be under stress, making all
                              sorts of nasty things for you to eventually drink.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mickm2au" <mmorris2@b...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi Stevo and others,
                                >
                                > Just put a new brew down using 8 kg sugar topped up to 25 litres and
                                > get an SG of 1160 again. I'm using one of the color coded beer and
                                > wine hydrometers of which the scale goes up to 1150 and its actually
                                > sticking up out of the brew past the scale...
                                >
                                > Does any one else get these type of start readings ?
                                > Is this the correct type of hydrometer to use ?
                                >
                                > Cheers
                                > Mick

                                Mick,
                                1160 is equivalent to 8 kg topped up to 20L, not 25. So, assuming
                                your 8kg is correct, either your water measurement is wrong, your
                                fermenter capacity is wrong, or your hydrometer is wrong.

                                1160 is also at the very limits of even turbo yeasts.

                              • mickm2au
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > Mick,
                                  > 1160 is equivalent to 8 kg topped up to 20L, not 25. So, assuming
                                  > your 8kg is correct, either your water measurement is wrong, your
                                  > fermenter capacity is wrong, or your hydrometer is wrong.
                                  >
                                  > 1160 is also at the very limits of even turbo yeasts.
                                  >

                                  > Slainte!
                                  > regards Harry

                                  Thanks Harry,
                                  The 8kg is correct (Bilo Sugar), only going by the markings on the
                                  side of the fermenter so I'll check their accuracy before the next
                                  brew, I'll try and borrow another hydrometer to compare with.

                                  I'll work out why my start SG is measuring too high and correct that.

                                  Its not an obsession with trying to get the highest % wash, its just
                                  using what appears to be the best available to the best of its
                                  capability. I would have thought that if these turbo yeasts wern't
                                  capable of doing what they state they can (providing the directions
                                  are followed and dilligent cleanliness is observed) nobody would be
                                  using them. And as far as using 8kg with more water, I have limited
                                  boiler capacity, so would take more runs for the same end result.

                                  Do many of you guys not use 8kg turbo yeast for vodka, assuming it's
                                  readily available ?

                                  Cheers
                                  Mick
                                • Lmemarime
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                                    Harry; remove the A from the first word in your reply and you'll have the answer. GREED!
                                    Semper Fi
                                    Lmemarine

                                  • mickm2au
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lmemarime <lmemarine@y...>
                                      wrote:
                                      > Harry; remove the A from the first word in your reply and you'll
                                      have the answer. GREED!
                                      > Semper Fi
                                      > Lmemarine

                                      If you check the polls on the Distillers forum you'll find "cheap
                                      grog" polls pretty high on peoples reasons for stilling. If you don't
                                      want to save money why not go out and buy yourself a bottle of the
                                      best, it'll probably taste better than what you brew. I would also
                                      tend to think that if it wasn't cheap a lot of the people who "do it
                                      for the science" wouldn't be here either. Its not greed, its aiming
                                      for efficiency, utilising new developments and using common sense. Be
                                      honest...I am.

                                      Cheers
                                      Mick
                                    • Lmemarime
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                                        The greed I was refering to was about trying to push yeast past its limits and then wonder whats wrong when it doesn't work right. All men have a certain amount of greed in them, even honest ones.

                                        Lmemarine

                                      • mickm2au
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 30, 2005
                                          wrote:

                                          > The greed I was refering to was about trying to push yeast past
                                          its limits and then wonder whats wrong when it doesn't work right.
                                          All men have a certain amount of greed in them, even honest ones.

                                          > Lmemarine

                                          Snip
                                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "lmemarine" <lmemarine@y...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > Good Day Gentlemen; I started my first sugar wash last Saturday
                                          > (12th).I followed the directions on the pack of alcotec 48 turbo

                                          Did you sort out the problem you had with your first sugar wash a
                                          couple of weeks ago. What % did you end up with ?

                                          Cheers
                                          Mick
                                        • Cary Rhodes
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 31, 2005
                                            if we are doing a poll here. I drink a small minority of what I
                                            make. Give most of it away.

                                            If all I wanted was a fifth of liquor, I would go to the store.

                                            Its enjoyable. I'm contiuously changing controls or equipment
                                            around. I worked on a SCR power control last nite and a temp
                                            controller to drive it.

                                            Got some corn mash working it the bucket nearby.

                                            This weekend I may watch the Masters on TV and make some hooch.

                                            AND I changed the name of this thread.

                                            cary r

                                            wrote:

                                            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Lmemarime <lmemarine@y...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > > Harry; remove the A from the first word in your reply and you'll
                                            > have the answer. GREED!
                                            > > Semper Fi
                                            > > Lmemarine
                                            > >

                                            > If you check the polls on the Distillers forum you'll find "cheap
                                            > grog" polls pretty high on peoples reasons for stilling. If you
                                            don't
                                            > want to save money why not go out and buy yourself a bottle of the
                                            > best, it'll probably taste better than what you brew. I would also
                                            > tend to think that if it wasn't cheap a lot of the people who "do
                                            it
                                            > for the science" wouldn't be here either. Its not greed, its aiming
                                            > for efficiency, utilising new developments and using common sense.
                                            Be
                                            > honest...I am.
                                            >
                                            > Cheers
                                            > Mick
                                          • Levi Langershank
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 31, 2005
                                              If you look a bit closer,you will see also that the average number of
                                              participants in polls on new_distillers is 25...out of 1498 members....in
                                              the Distillers group,which numbers 2071 members,the respondants vary from a
                                              low of 12 to a high of 186....none of these polls accurately represent the
                                              membership....this is the very reason I consider polls totally
                                              useless....but thats JMPO.....:>)
                                              Levi

                                              (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
                                              >From: "mickm2au" <mmorris2@...>
                                              >Subject: [new_distillers] Re: buggered
                                              >If you check the polls on the Distillers forum you'll find "cheap
                                              >grog" polls pretty high on peoples reasons for stilling. >Cheers
                                              >Mick

                                            • Edward Dotson
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 31, 2005
                                                The first statement could have qualified by saying 'among those members
                                                who participated in the poll', such and such seems to be the
                                                consensus. And unlike the polls you see on news sites and political
                                                sites, they are not quite useless. They do reflect an opinion.

                                                Langershank wrote:

                                                >If you look a bit closer,you will see also that the average number of
                                                >participants in polls on new_distillers is 25...out of 1498 members....in
                                                >the Distillers group,which numbers 2071 members,the respondants vary from a
                                                >low of 12 to a high of 186....none of these polls accurately represent the
                                                >membership....this is the very reason I consider polls totally
                                                >useless....but thats JMPO.....:>)
                                                > Levi
                                                >

                                                >>From: "mickm2au" <mmorris2@...>
                                                >>Subject: [new_distillers] Re: buggered
                                                >>If you check the polls on the Distillers forum you'll find "cheap
                                                >>grog" polls pretty high on peoples reasons for stilling. >Cheers
                                                >>Mick

                                              • Levi Langershank
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 31, 2005
                                                  Yes,in this case they reflect the opinion of a minority...:>)
                                                  Levi

                                                  (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)
                                                  >From: Edward Dotson <dotson@...>
                                                  >Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Re: buggered
                                                  They do reflect an opinion.

                                                • Lmemarime
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 31, 2005
                                                    17.5% , ran 3 1/2 L. at 92%, quit at 75%, not much greed there but as I said all men do have a certain amount of it in them.

                                                    Lmemarine

                                                  • David W Lunsford
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 31, 2005
                                                      I agree...I give away more than I consume, and cant wait to make more for
                                                      the enjoyment of the product comming out right, and the praise from my
                                                      friends, and the number of new friends...maxtonnage

                                                    • suitcase1499@aol.com
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 31, 2005
                                                        In a message dated 3/31/2005 7:42:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                                        maxtonnage@... writes:

                                                        I agree...I give away more than I consume, and cant wait to make more for
                                                        the enjoyment of the product comming out right, and the praise from my
                                                        friends, and the number of new friends...maxtonnage

                                                        I also have to agree, It's the fun of testing new idea's and seeing your
                                                        friends face light up when they take a drink. I never sell anything but I give
                                                        alot to friends and family. In fact my personal Physician ask's for a quart every
                                                        winter he say's it makes better cough medicine than what he can prescribe.

                                                        Suitcase

                                                      • mickm2au
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 31, 2005
                                                          wrote:

                                                          > 17.5% , ran 3 1/2 L. at 92%, quit at 75%, not much greed there but
                                                          as I said all men do have a certain amount of it in them.

                                                          > Lmemarine

                                                          Looks like you got good value from the Turbo after all...
                                                          We're only after value for outlay and a bit of satisfaction in
                                                          producing something we like.

                                                          Cheers,
                                                          Mick
                                                        • Lmemarime
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Apr 1, 2005
                                                            I hope you have a good weekend and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

                                                            Lmemarine