Re: powdered activated carbon

  • uselessaussiedistiller
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, king pin
      <kingpin_kingpin2001@y...> wrote:
      > This may be an obvious Q but wtf. I've finally located some
      activated carbon locally, just to find they only get it in powdered
      form. Now, it would seem to me that being powdered wouldn't
      accomplish just what we need the carbon to do. What say ye all?
      Perhaps an even better Q would be wtf one would use powdered carbon
      for to begin with?

      > Regards,
      > KP
      activated carbon in powder form is used to make the "active" liquid
      carbon you see on brewstore shelves - you just add water or ethanol to
      make a slimy black liquid activated carbon product, since dry powdered
      carbon is very messy. very, very, very messy.

      you can happily use it in distillation, though filtering the carbon
      out of your final vodka can be painful.

      its usually used in industry, say in refining soluble carbohydrates
      like sugar, glucose, dextrose, fructose...that sort of thing

      activated carbon is easier to find locally than you think - if it were
      me, i would get in touch with pharmaceutical suppliers or analytical
      chemical suppliers, because they sell it very, very cheaply in
      comparison to brewstores, and you can order whatever grade you like -
      from powdered coal carbon to granulated coconut carbon

      cheers