RE: [new_distillers] Re: Carlsberg Tuborg keg spear removal

  • greg tufts
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 23, 2005
      I have a draft keg which had a threaded spear.
      My machinist buddie cut up the spear and welded
      (bronzed I believe)
      the spear threaded portion to a standard 2 inch
      copper pipe. See the photos at link below.
      As stages of this are completed, will add appropriate
      photos.
      http://tinyurl.com/5nudw
      cost of job, 1 quart of product
      ain't life grand ?
      cheers
      greg
      --- Brendan Keith <bkeith@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------
      Your interpretation was correct. The system was no
      longer pressurized.

      It seems that there is a very small catch just inside
      the gas valve, the
      outer ring. You have to press the ring down and slip
      a thin screwdriver
      into this ramp-like slot. Viewed from the top, there
      are two tabs on the
      spear. One is stamped "R". The catch is at about 4
      o'clock from that tab.
      Leave the screwdriver in place and screw out the
      spear. It should lift
      right out. If it is still stuck, you haven't hit the
      catch.

      I think this is going to be a very good way to attach
      a column. The spear's
      dip tube can be removed leaving just the threaded
      shell. The shell can be
      turned upside down, revealing about 2" of 1-3/4"
      stainless pipe that a
      column can be brazed to. Then it can be screwed back
      down onto the keg.
      Suitable for clean washes, anyway.

      Don't worry about privacy. Hopefully someone can
      search on this in the
      future and find the solution.
      --
      Brendan Keith