2x

  • hill_686
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 21, 2005
      Hey, I am new so pardon my ignorance. I have foond lots of reading on
      this subject, I just haven't had the time to really sit and study it
      out yet. What I would like to know is, can a person mix up two/three
      25 Liter batches in one pot with of course the two/three packets of
      turbo yeast? Is it a heat issue with the yeast getting to hot and
      killing it's self? Could a person coil a garden hose up in the pot
      and run some cold water through the hose to cool the wash down? No
      doubt a subject discussed many times but, ya know :-/ Thanks
    • Dean Thomas
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 21, 2005
        hill_686 wrote:

        >can a person mix up two/three 25 Liter batches in one pot with of course the two/three packets of turbo yeast? Is it a heat issue with the yeast getting to hot and killing it's self? Could a person coil a garden hose up in the pot and run some cold water through the hose to cool the wash down? No

        Hi hill_686,
        You are correct heat is an issue and one of the reasons that most do
        smaller batches and even multiple smaller batches, if you can cool the
        wash effectively than you may get away with it.
        On the other hand out of the average 25L batch you should be able to get
        atleast two if not closer to three litres of 96% Alcoho, watered down to
        48% (still a veryt strong drop) you end up with roughly 5 litres of
        drinkable product.
        Unless you are planing on going in to buisness or giving out free
        samples this is usually enough to last a while.

        Dean.
      • hill_686
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 22, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...>
          wrote:
          > hill_686 wrote:
          >
          > >can a person mix up two/three 25 Liter batches in one pot with of
          course the two/three packets of turbo yeast? Is it a heat issue with
          the yeast getting to hot and killing it's self? Could a person coil a
          garden hose up in the pot and run some cold water through the hose to
          cool the wash down? No

          > Hi hill_686,
          > You are correct heat is an issue and one of the reasons that most
          do
          > smaller batches and even multiple smaller batches, if you can cool
          the
          > wash effectively than you may get away with it.
          > On the other hand out of the average 25L batch you should be able
          to get
          > atleast two if not closer to three litres of 96% Alcoho, watered
          down to
          > 48% (still a veryt strong drop) you end up with roughly 5 litres of
          > drinkable product.
          > Unless you are planing on going in to buisness or giving out free
          > samples this is usually enough to last a while.
          >
          > Dean.

          Thanks Dean as that makes plenty of sense. I think I need to work on
          the "closer to three liters" I tried this hobby a year or so ago and
          I never drew that much off. I didn't do it for long as the cost of
          doing it just didn't seem come close to paying me back for my
          efforts, but it was fun and I am thinking of starting again. Two
          liters of around 90% was about the tops my still would give me from a
          25L wash. I really think that it may have been because I cut it off
          too soon. As soon as the temps started to rise I would usually stop
          collecting. I see that some folks will collect up to 93C. Any
          comments? I just can't bring myself to do that. I sure thank you for
          the comeback :-]

          Munzon
        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22, 2005
            2 ltrs of 90% is pretty low. With a typical 25 ltr turbo wash with 7kg
            of sugar I get a total (incl heads and tails) of 4+ ltr of 95%. Maybe
            you need to take it slower (more reflux) and squeeze out more of what
            is in there.

            Cheers,
            Lindsay.

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "hill_686" <hill_686@y...> wrote:

            > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dean Thomas <deanlil@p...>
            > wrote:
            > > hill_686 wrote:
            > >
            > > >can a person mix up two/three 25 Liter batches in one pot with of
            > course the two/three packets of turbo yeast? Is it a heat issue with
            > the yeast getting to hot and killing it's self? Could a person coil a
            > garden hose up in the pot and run some cold water through the hose to
            > cool the wash down? No
            > > >
            > > Hi hill_686,
            > > You are correct heat is an issue and one of the reasons that most
            > do
            > > smaller batches and even multiple smaller batches, if you can cool
            > the
            > > wash effectively than you may get away with it.
            > > On the other hand out of the average 25L batch you should be able
            > to get
            > > atleast two if not closer to three litres of 96% Alcoho, watered
            > down to
            > > 48% (still a veryt strong drop) you end up with roughly 5 litres of
            > > drinkable product.
            > > Unless you are planing on going in to buisness or giving out free
            > > samples this is usually enough to last a while.
            > >
            > > Dean.
            >
            > Thanks Dean as that makes plenty of sense. I think I need to work on
            > the "closer to three liters" I tried this hobby a year or so ago and
            > I never drew that much off. I didn't do it for long as the cost of
            > doing it just didn't seem come close to paying me back for my
            > efforts, but it was fun and I am thinking of starting again. Two
            > liters of around 90% was about the tops my still would give me from a
            > 25L wash. I really think that it may have been because I cut it off
            > too soon. As soon as the temps started to rise I would usually stop
            > collecting. I see that some folks will collect up to 93C. Any
            > comments? I just can't bring myself to do that. I sure thank you for
            > the comeback :-]
            >
            > Munzon
          • Robert
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2005
              hill_686 wrote:

              > Hey, I am new so pardon my ignorance. I have foond lots of reading
              on
              > this subject, I just haven't had the time to really sit and study
              it
              > out yet. What I would like to know is, can a person mix up
              two/three
              > 25 Liter batches in one pot with of course the two/three packets
              of
              > turbo yeast? Is it a heat issue with the yeast getting to hot and
              > killing it's self? Could a person coil a garden hose up in the pot
              > and run some cold water through the hose to cool the wash down? No
              > doubt a subject discussed many times but, ya know :-/ Thanks

              Robert replies

              Hi Hill welcome aboard, the new distillers' board is here to steepen
              the learning curve, so read away and ask for clarification if
              needed. Yes it is a heat issue that kills the yeast prematurely,
              however I use a 60 litre fermenter, two bags of Alcotec 48 hour
              (don't use 24hr in a 50 lt wash) and 16 Kg's of castor (easier to
              dissolve) sugar. I don't have any problem fermenting during summer
              when the ambient temperature inside my brew shed is in the low 30's
              C. The yeast will die at around 35C ambient.

              Anything greater that 50 litres is doable but IMHO it's a WOFTAM.
              Yes I tried making it in a 200 litre plastic drum once but it was
              more trouble than it is worth. If temperature is a constant problem,
              use a length of copper pipe coiled inside the fermenter. It will
              retain its shape, whereas a garden hose will just sit on the bottom
              of the fermenter.

              I normally leave my fermenter sit with the airlock in place for
              several weeks before I distil it twice. Mainly to let the yeast
              settle out and until I or the wife get the time to run the still.

              Yours in Spirit
              Robert
            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 22, 2005
                Simple answer...yes,to all your ?s...good luck...:>)
                Levi

                (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

                >From: "hill_686" <hill_686@...>

                >Subject: [new_distillers] 2x
                , can a person mix up two/three
                >25 Liter batches in one pot with of course the two/three packets of
                >turbo yeast?
                Could a person coil a garden hose up in the pot
                >and run some cold water through the hose to cool the wash down?

              • Brendan Keith
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 22, 2005
                  A couple of days ago I was doing a quick calculation in my head and it seems
                  that 1kg sugar should yield ~600ml @95%. I'm sure the calculator applet
                  will give a more exact figure, but is this a reasonable rule of thumb?

                  --
                  Brendan Keith
                  bkeith@...

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 22, 2005
                    Very close. 0.57894 according to homedistiller.org!

                    Cheers,
                    Lindsay

                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@s...>
                    wrote:
                    > A couple of days ago I was doing a quick calculation in my head and
                    it seems
                    > that 1kg sugar should yield ~600ml @95%. I'm sure the calculator applet
                    > will give a more exact figure, but is this a reasonable rule of thumb?
                    >
                    > --
                    > Brendan Keith
                    > bkeith@s...

                  • hill_686
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
                      You people are Awesome! Thanks for the help. But, is it so that some
                      folk will collect up to 93C? I had stopped collecting and started
                      sending it into the tails jar at 83C. Is this too soon? Thanks

                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>
                      wrote:

                      > Very close. 0.57894 according to homedistiller.org!
                      >
                      > Cheers,
                      > Lindsay
                      >
                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@s...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > A couple of days ago I was doing a quick calculation in my head
                      and
                      > it seems
                      > > that 1kg sugar should yield ~600ml @95%. I'm sure the calculator
                      applet
                      > > will give a more exact figure, but is this a reasonable rule of
                      thumb?

                      > > --
                      > > Brendan Keith
                      > > bkeith@s...

                    • Roderick Holmes
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 23, 2005
                        When to stop kinda depends on your personal taste and your goal. For example, I am on the quest for the best vodka (and doing a great job of it thanks to you guys) . I found that once the temperature hits around 79.5C that some of the odor and taste of tails start appearing. I separate my collections 400ml at a time in 1 liter mason jars.This allows me not to ruin the whole batch if I make a mistake. It also gives me room in the jar to dilute and age on oak and charcoal. When I collected up to 83C I noticed the last jar always had the off taste of tails that I could not get out even with charcoal. Once I stopped collection at 79.5C the problem was solved. Everything after that I send to the tails jar for recycling. While you are collecting, take a small sample and cut it with equal amounts of water (if collecting 95%) and take a whiff and taste. The fusils don't become so noticeable unless diluted. A lot depends on your personal taste though.

                        I drink my vodka on the rocks so purity is important to me. If you are using your vodka for a mixer it is not as important. In earlier batches where I did not make the tails cut as early, I have a "special" bottle of vodka with a slight tails taste for my wife and her screwdrivers.

                        A rookie, but loving my hobby! Thanks guys!
                        Roderick