cleaning

  • jimmy
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 13, 2005
      might sound like a stupid question but im new to this an i was
      wondering how i clean the lyne arm and worm when im finished,im using
      a 1 inch lyne arm going into a thumper and a ten mil pipe as a worm
      coming from the thumper,any ideas
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 13, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jimmy" <jmsmckenna@a...>
        wrote:

        > might sound like a stupid question but im new to this an i was
        > wondering how i clean the lyne arm and worm when im finished,im
        using
        > a 1 inch lyne arm going into a thumper and a ten mil pipe as a
        worm
        > coming from the thumper,any ideas

        Put white vinegar and a handful of salt into your boiler and remove
        all liquids from the thumper and cooling tank. Then boil up the
        vinegar and steam out the lines. Do this BEFORE you do a run and
        your pipes will always be clean for the run. You can also run a rag
        & wire pull-through through the pipes just like cleaning a rifle
        barrel, if you can dismantle the piping.

      • jmsmckenna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 14, 2005
          gonna be a lot of vinegar lol its a 10 gallon boiler lol

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 14, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, jmsmckenna@a... wrote:
            > gonna be a lot of vinegar lol its a 10 gallon boiler lol

            Vinegar is cheap, and reusable. Save it in a spare drum. Here in
            Oz it costs $AUD 3.25 for 4 litres bulk at the supermarket. I reuse
            it until it's sky-blue in colour (about 6 times) then toss it and
            buy fresh stuff. You don't have to fill your boiler, just use
            enough to cover your elements plus a bit more for steam loss. 4
            litres at a time is fine for me.

          • Jack
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
              I put together my first still not sure how to clean the flocks and
              other cried from the inside. any help would be appreciated thank you
              from Jack
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jntmo11@...> wrote:

                > I put together my first still not sure how to clean the flocks and
                > other cried from the inside. any help would be appreciated thank
                you
                > from Jack

                Soak all parts in hot caustic soda solution for an hour. This
                removes soldering/brazing scale and flux residue. Then hose out the
                parts with your garden hose (stops the caustic action). Then
                assemble the still, charge it with equal parts water & white
                vinegar, and a handful of salt. Fire it up and steam it out (no
                condenser water). Allow to cool, then drain and hose out all parts
                again (stops the acid action). It should be ready for its maiden
                voyage. If storing, rinse with clean water and air-dry everything.

              • pint_o_shine
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
                  -->
                  > Soak all parts in hot caustic soda solution for an hour. This
                  In the USA this can be purchased under the name Arm and Hammer Washing
                  Soda. It is also called sodium carbonate and can usually be purchased
                  as "PH UP" in the pool section. Check the ingredients for sodium
                  carbonate.
                • sgd2945
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 4, 2007
                    Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide and is a very corrosive alkali
                    soluble in water (gets very hot when added to water - must NEVER add
                    water to caustic soda due to the violent chemical reaction which will
                    splash the corrosive substance over a wide area) and should not be
                    confused with Washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a highly soluble, yet
                    highly alkaline product.

                    Stephen
                    Canberra, Australia

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sgd2945" <sgd@...> wrote:

                      > Caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide and is a very corrosive alkali
                      > soluble in water (gets very hot when added to water - must NEVER add
                      > water to caustic soda due to the violent chemical reaction which
                      will
                      > splash the corrosive substance over a wide area) and should not be
                      > confused with Washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a highly soluble, yet
                      > highly alkaline product.
                      >
                      > Stephen
                      > Canberra, Australia

                      That is correct. In the US it is called LYE. Make up the solution
                      according to the directions on the container.

                      Never add water to straight caustic, just as you never add water to
                      straight acid. Do it the other way around ie. add the powder (or
                      liquid) to the measured amount of water. This is standard procedure.

                      More about caustic and its uses here (including as a brewing equipment
                      cleaner)...
                      http://www.chemistrystore.com/Caustic_Soda.htm

                      More about copper welding/brazing here...
                      http://brazing.com/techguide/procedures/copper_welding.asp

                    • mstehelin
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                        I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
                        not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
                        can't see it been overly basic.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 5, 2007
                          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@...>
                          wrote:

                          > I Have been getting a blue haze from my wine runs. Could this be from
                          > not cleaning? The wash is the left over dregs from wine making. I
                          > can't see it been overly basic.

                          Acids in contact with copper will give blue tinges, just not as
                          pronounced or as quick as bases. Also be aware that copper sulphate
                          can form in crystals and lodge in the condenser works & packing when
                          the still is left idle for any length of time. Then the next run
                          dissolves the crystals into your booze. That's why you should hose
                          out the still and let it air-dry before storage.

                        • mstehelin
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
                            If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                            should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 6, 2007
                              wrote:

                              > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                              > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?

                              Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
                              cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
                              it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
                              faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
                              still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
                              acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
                              to 6.

                              Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979

                              An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.

                            • mstehelin
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 8, 2007
                                Hmmmm. I put baking soda in all stripped alcohol as a standard
                                practice. I noticed that when the booze is stripped it comes out
                                clear. It looks good. BUT When I add a couple of spoons of Baking soda
                                it develops a blue haze that eventually settles into blue crystals.
                                Could this be any copper ions in the liquid precipitating out?
                                M.

                                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mstehelin" <mstehelin@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > If I add Baking Soda to the distilled product and re-distill that
                                > > should take care of the copper sulfate problem right?
                                >

                                > Baking soda is not a 'cure all' or magic bullet. It is useful for
                                > cleaning up a smelly faulty run with dissolved gases (off-smells) in
                                > it. Remember it raises pH, which may compound your problem if your
                                > faulty product is already neutral or slightly alkaline and your
                                > still has copper in it. You'd be better off using a bit of citric
                                > acid to set the pH slightly acidic, something below 7 like about 6.5
                                > to 6.
                                >
                                > Then redistil it, AFTER cleaning all your equipment. See msg
                                > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/new_distillers/message/23979
                                >
                                > An ounce of fault prevention is worth a pound of cure.
                                >

                                > Slainte!
                                > regards Harry

                              • oz_distiller
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 27, 2007
                                  I know it's an old thread....but I clean my gear with the hot slop,
                                  just throw all your bits in your boiler when you've finished the run.
                                  Don't forget to take your backins first though!

                                  AKA as CoopsOz from HD.org