Pot Still Temps with Corn Wash

  • ranawater
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
      I'm runnin a mashed corn wash with my still in pot still mode and was
      wondering at about what temperature I should stop collecting tails.
      Thanks, Rana
    • Rana Pipiens
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
        I guess what I'm asking is for information on using heads and tails for blending back into hearts for achieving some flavor in a corn whisky. In the past when I tried a pot still, the results seemed the same whatever the original sugar source (barley, corn, wheat, molasses, etc.)

        ranawater <ranawater@...> wrote:
        I'm runnin a mashed corn wash with my still in pot still mode and was
        wondering at about what temperature I should stop collecting tails.
        Thanks, Rana

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ranawater" <ranawater@y...>
          wrote:

          > I'm runnin a mashed corn wash with my still in pot still mode and
          was
          > wondering at about what temperature I should stop collecting
          tails.
          > Thanks, Rana

          96°C if measured at the kettle. 40%abv if using an alcometer at
          takeoff. The rest that's left requires too much power input for
          return. No value.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
            wrote:
            > I guess what I'm asking is for information on using heads and
            tails for blending back into hearts for achieving some flavor in a
            corn whisky. In the past when I tried a pot still, the results
            seemed the same whatever the original sugar source (barley, corn,
            wheat, molasses, etc.)

            > ranawater <ranawater@y...> wrote:
            > I'm runnin a mashed corn wash with my still in pot still mode and
            was
            > wondering at about what temperature I should stop collecting
            tails.
            > Thanks, Rana

            That being the case Rana, collect hearts when the alcometer reads
            75%. Stop when the alcometer reads 60% (assuming adjustment for
            temp; also assuming a pot still).

          • Rana Pipiens

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
                wrote:
                > Thanks Harry. So the %abv is more useful in making the cuts than
                the temperature? Will just the hearts collected like you suggest
                give a tasty product without blending in some of the heads and
                tails? ( I am using a pot still for this distillation) I plan on
                oaking the results. Rana

                Yup. Get accurate readings on the alcometer. There's an old
                instrument you don't see much of nowadays called a 'parrot's beak'.
                Basically it's a tube closed at the bottom and with a spillover
                (shaped like a bird's beak) at the top, into the collection vessel.
                The alcometer floats in this tube and the takeoff from the potstill
                condenser is fed into the tube. Readings are checked periodically
                and when the correct percentages are reached, you switch collection
                vessels between heads, hearts, & tails. It requires that the
                takeoff feed be at or near the calibrated temp of the alcometer,
                otherwise adjustment calculations need to be made.

              • bbmdave
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
                  I found the picture of something close to the photo,in home
                  distillers I think ( It's been a long time and a lot of liters).
                  And copied it.(well a version of what I saw anyway)
                  Works great for checking your percentages and cuts.
                  I think Harry is describing something like this.
                  Would like to see a pic if you have one .

                  Look in Photos Constant %

                  Dave

                  , Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
                  ------------------------
                  >> Yup. Get accurate readings on the alcometer. There's an old
                  > instrument you don't see much of nowadays called a 'parrot's
                  beak'.
                  > Basically it's a tube closed at the bottom and with a spillover
                  > (shaped like a bird's beak) at the top, into the collection
                  vessel.
                  > The alcometer floats in this tube and the takeoff from the
                  potstill
                  > condenser is fed into the tube. Readings are checked periodically
                  > and when the correct percentages are reached, you switch
                  collection
                  > vessels between heads, hearts, & tails. It requires that the
                  > takeoff feed be at or near the calibrated temp of the alcometer,
                  > otherwise adjustment calculations need to be made.
                  >
                  > Slainte!
                  > regards Harry
                • bradr36
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
                    wrote:

                    > Yup. Get accurate readings on the alcometer. There's an old
                    > instrument you don't see much of nowadays called a 'parrot's
                    > beak'. eak
                    > Basically it's a tube closed at the bottom and with a spillover
                    > (shaped like a bird's beak) at the top, into the collection vessel.
                    > The alcometer floats in this tube and the takeoff from the potstill
                    > condenser is fed into the tube. Readings are checked periodically
                    > and when the correct percentages are reached, you switch collection
                    > vessels between heads, hearts, & tails. It requires that the
                    > takeoff feed be at or near the calibrated temp of the alcometer,
                    > otherwise adjustment calculations need to be made.
                    >
                    > Slainte!
                    > regards Harry
                    =================================
                    Harry, i use a homemade parrot's beak on my current rig. The one i
                    saw on the home distillers site gave me the idea of making one. I
                    also seen one on the history channel a while back on one of their
                    programs about making spirits. I stop the tape when they showed it on
                    TV and took a pic of it to have for a future one i would like to make.

                    Just wondering if there is another name for it to search the web
                    under to possibly find some better pics or does anyone know where
                    they might sell them.

                    I use mine everytime i run with my reflux still and find that the %
                    will drop on your product before the temp rises. This is very useful
                    to make a better cut on your tails or at least see it approaching
                    tails sooner.

                    BR
                  • Rana Pipiens
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
                      Brad36, where on the homedistillers site did you see the parrots beak? Rana

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
                        wrote:

                        > Brad36, where on the homedistillers site did you see the parrots
                        beak? Rana

                        Rana, i put a pick of it in photo's section BR folder.
                        Mine is very similiar to this, i will post a pick of it next week
                        with the other one i was talking about too.
                        Home distillers is so big i can't remember where it was at, you'll
                        have to search that yourself.

                        BR
                      • Rana Pipiens
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 12, 2005
                          Thanks Brad. Its great that the site is so big though isnt it? I'll look forward to seeing your pics. Rana

                          wrote:

                          > Brad36, where on the homedistillers site did you see the parrots
                          beak? Rana

                          Rana, i put a pick of it in photo's section BR folder.
                          Mine is very similiar to this, i will post a pick of it next week
                          with the other one i was talking about too.
                          Home distillers is so big i can't remember where it was at, you'll
                          have to search that yourself.

                          BR

                          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                        • Lawrence Elliott

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 13, 2005
                                i assume you are assuming that she is doing a stripping run first? if
                                so, what percentage is the low wines that pot still'ers usually throw
                                back in for the second distillation? 40%?

                                i've seen reference to some people doing a stripping run, then
                                redilluting it with clean water and running it through the second time.

                                Thanks!!

                                -henry

                                --
                                --henry
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 13, 2005
                                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Henry Stamp <henrystamp@g...>
                                  wrote:
                                  > i assume you are assuming that she is doing a stripping run
                                  first? if
                                  > so, what percentage is the low wines that pot still'ers usually
                                  throw
                                  > back in for the second distillation? 40%?
                                  >
                                  > i've seen reference to some people doing a stripping run, then
                                  > redilluting it with clean water and running it through the second
                                  time.

                                  > Thanks!!
                                  >
                                  > -henry

                                  Every potstill is different. Some only manage 30% first run, some
                                  go as high as 65%, depending on design, power input etc.
                                  The 'average potstill' (is there such a thing?) does a first run of
                                  ~50% abv. Some dilute this with water to 30 or 40% for the second
                                  run, some don't. Some only do 1 careful run (grappa etc).
                                  So your assumptions are generally correct.

                                • Rana Pipiens
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Mar 13, 2005
                                    Henry, Not that it bothers me but Rana is an alias and is the species name for the leopard frog (Rana pipiens). So, as with Jan, I am all male (but proof might show somewhat diminuitive) :-))
                                    (aka Rana)
                                    Henry Stamp <henrystamp@...> wrote:i assume you are assuming that she is doing a stripping run first? if

                                    --
                                    --henry

                                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 14, 2005
                                      oops, sorry bout that... but pleaes, no proof is nessesary ;)

                                      --
                                      --henry

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Mar 14, 2005
                                        A wise choice Henry.