Re: [new_distillers] Re-Distilling

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 20, 2001
      Of course it is safe to redistill, it will be a better end product anyway.I
      always double distill and i dont skimp on the carbon thats why the end
      product is much superior. Do filter it through carbon again as you will
      always get some unwanted smells and tastes
      Good Luck Jan

      >From: Martin Joughin <jockstrap69@...>
      >To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [new_distillers] Re-Distilling
      >Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:04:30 +1000
      >
      >I have just finished filtering a batch of alcohol through
      >carbon. Unfortunately I have now realized I have watered it down to much
      >(to about 25% when I wanted about 40%). Is it safe to redistill it? Will
      >I need to filter it through carbon again if I do?
      >Martin
      >
      >---

    • allibugger
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13 8:13 AM
        I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli
      • fatbloke
        Message 3 of 11 , May 13 9:21 AM
          Never heard that. I just let my spirit down to 40% or less before redistilling.

          allibugger <allibugger@...> wrote:

          I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

        • Ken Martin

            Message 5 of 11 , May 14 1:08 PM
              My first still was a little 4 litre air still. I had some cloudy spirit that was 80% ABV.

              What I didnt know at the time was about using boiling stones or even broken glass to break up any larger bubbles.

              I saw that there was liquid on the kitchen surface and as I leaned over to kill the power, the still "burped" again.

              Thank god for the pbysical properties of alcohol, losing heat rapidly as it flys through the air. So only a "sunburn scald".

              Not the best way to learn about boiling stones/boil enhancers.......

              Luckily no harm done except the school of hard knocks......

              Ken Martin <ken2145@...> wrote:

              I have heard 50 percent ABV or higher in your boiler can cause an explosion. I never re-distill at higher the 80 proof in the can for safety. Ken

              On May 13, 2013, at 9:21 AM, fatbloke <fatbloke@...> wrote:

              Never heard that. I just let my spirit down to 40% or less before redistilling.

              allibugger <allibugger@...> wrote:

              I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 11 , May 14 5:53 PM
                Alli,

                The reason many (or most) potstillers try for a wash ABV of 27-29%, is
                so that still output begins at ABV close to where you would collect
                hearts. This means more flavor in the distillate.

                ZBob on the road

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" wrote:

                > I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that
                when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for
                a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why
                not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

              • local yokel
                Message 7 of 11 , May 15 4:50 PM
                  there is a relationship between the starting abv and the collected abv. it varies from distiller to distiller due to still design and cuts made and kept in your final collection. when running corn whiskey I try to have the abv of my second wash so that when I make my cuts and normal collection, it will be at about the abv I wish to age at or drink at. adding water to proof just dilutes flavor, IMO.
                  ,

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 15 9:06 PM
                    Thanks for picking this one up, yokel, and you're right, of course.

                    Sometimes I can't get to my computer for a while.

                    ZBob on the road in San Jose
                    --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "local yokel" wrote:

                    > there is a relationship between the starting abv and the collected
                    abv. it varies from distiller to distiller due to still design and cuts
                    made and kept in your final collection. when running corn whiskey I try
                    to have the abv of my second wash so that when I make my cuts and normal
                    collection, it will be at about the abv I wish to age at or drink at.
                    adding water to proof just dilutes flavor, IMO.
                    > ,
                    > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "allibugger" allibugger@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I read in either Making Fine Spirits or The Compleat Distiller that
                    when doing a spirit run or re-distilling a spirit run one should aim for
                    a 29% ABV in the boiler. I am wondering where the 29% comes from? Why
                    not 40% or some other percent of ABV? Thanks Alli

                  • John Schaerer
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 20 2:27 AM
                      This gave me a good explination of what you were talking about.

                      I nearly had heart failure at the thought of my wholr rig exploding into nothing when I refined my high wine

                      How to Use Boiling Stones for Evaporation

                      Sean Lancaster
                      Sean Lancaster has been a freelance writer since 2007. He has written for Writers Research Group, Alexis Writing and the Lebanon Chamber of Commerce. Lancaster holds a Doctor of Philosophy in chemistry from the University of Washington.
                      By Sean Lancaster, eHow Contributor
                      How to Use Boiling Stones for Evaporation thumbnail Learn about the use of boiling stones when bringing liquids to boil.
                      Many chemical reactions require evaporation upon completion for the recovery of the reaction products. One drawback to evaporating solvents is the chance of supercritical heating of the solvent causing the liquid to bump. Bumping occurs when the solution is ready to boil but is unable due to the lack of seed bubbles. Seed bubbles are very small air bubbles that grow in size until they are able to break free and rise to the surface. Boiling stones, also known as boiling chips or boiling points, provide sites for the formation of seed bubbles to allow for the smooth boiling of solvents.

                      Other People Are Reading