Re: [new_distillers] Re: POT HEAD

  • kiss my ass
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 4, 2005
      When starting a hobby you might think of following the footsteps of those
      that have been successful before you...... just a suggestion.... try the
      tried and true methods and recipes that have been proven to be successful
      and you will be successful in your new hobby....

      build a still from strong materials and and make your first mash from easy
      to get store bought items....

      try to stay away from throwing ....whatever in a bucket and adding
      yeast....,. you will be dissapointed..... trust the experienced people
      here...

      good luck

      Kim
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 4, 2005
        WELL here's how it went.
        I wanted a bigger head basically just for looks. Then I read an
        article that told me to keep the head as small as possible , that way
        it wont require as much heat. And after the top 45 degree elbow I'll
        most likely bend the pipe a little so it "runs" on a slant to the
        condenser. Which in this set up probably really doesn't matter that
        much any way. Because it's too tight.

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "kiss my ass"
        <kiss_my_ass@c...> wrote:
        > When starting a hobby you might think of following the footsteps of
        those
        > that have been successful before you...... just a suggestion....
        try the
        > tried and true methods and recipes that have been proven to be
        successful
        > and you will be successful in your new hobby....
        >
        > build a still from strong materials and and make your first mash
        from easy
        > to get store bought items....
        >
        > try to stay away from throwing ....whatever in a bucket and adding
        > yeast....,. you will be dissapointed..... trust the experienced
        people
        > here...
        >
        > good luck
        >
        > Kim
      • - Dec
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 4, 2005
          My first wash so I'm not really dissappointed, I realise it is a learning
          curve. What I don't want is for it to happen again for the same reason. So
          I'm here to try find out the reason if yous'll oblige me?

          My setup:
          A 25L basin
          6 kilos of sugar
          2x140g tins of tomato pur�e
          1 multivitamin tab and 1 vit B complex (both crushed and boiled in some
          water with the pur�e)
          This was then added to the basin and topped up with water along with the 6
          kilos of sugar and mixed well. The temp was too high (~43C) so I left it
          covered overnight to cool with the aerator running. In the morning I turned
          on the (50W) thermostat to keep it at a steady 25C. The pH was 8.8 so I
          added some lemon juice and brought it to 6.5.
          I then added 100g of dried bakers yeast, stirred well and left it with the
          aerator running for another 36hours. When I checked it after 36 hours it was
          all foamy and smelled lovely and alcoholic (I was over the moon!). I took a
          quick taste of it, it was still quite sweet but there was a definite cider
          quality to it. I checked the pH and it was 3.7, a bit low, so I added a tsp
          of baking soda (sodium bicarb) to it which brought it up to 4.4, perfect.
          That was last sunday night (the 27th of feb).. and though it had gotten ever
          so slightly less sweet (more alcoholic) since then, it's progress has been
          mindnumbingly slow.

          It is still carbonated (visibly so) which is slightly surprising to me given
          it doesn't have a proper airlock, just wrapped over with cling-film with a
          couple holes punched in it.

          My ideas about why it may be stuck:
          A) The soda bicarb was the wrong thing to add, and whatever the salt or
          whatever it produces when it neutralised with the acid has hindered the
          yeast in some way (btw I know now not to add lemon juice initially, hadn't
          counted on the yeast reducing the ph itself).
          B) There was insufficient nutrient available (what homedistiller.org sites
          as the usual problem) for the yeast to keep going. Maybe the tomato paste
          wasn't enough? Maybe I need to add something else?

          Your thoughts and comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

          Cheers
          ~Dec

          Get the ultimate e-mail account - sign up for Hotmail Plus!
          http://www.imagine-msn.com/hotmail/en-ie
        • Cary Rhodes
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 4, 2005
            dec

            Not sure I would classify it as Stuck just yet.

            Give it some time. Maybe you are messing with it to much.

            I'm not as particular with the pH. After I toss the yeast, I don't
            touch it except for temperature control.

            Try one of the turbo yeasts. Much more predictive on the sugar and
            water wash.

            Baker's yeast works well on the horse feed batches.

            cary r

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "- Dec"

          • Roderick Holmes
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 4, 2005
              I concur. Not stuck. It has only been a week. I have a similiar wash that is still going strong for 3 weeks now. Specific gravity says it is currently at 8% alcohol and it has the potential for 14%, yeast permitting. Part of he reason for the slow ferment is that it is at 15C to 18C temperature. With your temperature, I would expect ferment to go 2 weeks and another week to allow it to settle and clarify.

              My ideas:
              - My recipe also called for the addition on 3 ounces of molasses as a nutrient as well as the tomato paste for 20 liters. Molasses is loaded with yeast nutrients.
              -Once you pitched the yeast, you probably don't need to aereate any more.
              -The recipes I read call for rapid rise or bread machine yeast. I was told it has the potential to go as high as 14%. I have also read that regular bakers yeast will normally go up to 8%. Clarification on this anyone?

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 4, 2005
                Forgot to add one other thing to my note:

                When you run the aereator after you pitch the yeast, the yeast do not need to consume the sugar to get their oxygen because it is being provided by your air pump. The reason for the oxygenating in the beginning is to give the initial colony a chance to start up and build their numbers. Once the oxygen is gone, the yeast will go to the sugar molecule and strip off the oxygen they need to survive and in the process it releases CO2 and leaves the alcohol molecule. So, if you provide the oxygen, the yeast will not provide the alcohol you desire. 36 hours of aeration after pitching the yeast is too long IMHO.

                You also risk greater chance of contamination if you are not filtering the air through a hepa filter, or a thumper filled with hydrogen peroxide. I have an idea that I have a couple of hepa filter paper masks that I am going to glue together around my airpump for my next run.

                Roderick

                - Dec <hoginhog_1_2_fraggel@...> wrote:

[...]

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • BigRon BigRon
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 4, 2005
                  my two cents
                  I have been making beer and wine for a while
                  and have had a couple of batches go bad but it is when i fussed with them
                  I have found out to let it run where it wants to instead of trying to force it to where you want it
                  i have had batches of wine go 3 to 4 months in the secondary when others go a couple of weeks,
                  I understand it is hard to let it go but you need to take time and it will work out in the long run
                  just get a few batches going then you will have a steady supply

                  <hoginhog_1_2_fraggel@h...> wrote:
                  > My first wash so I'm not really dissappointed, I realise it is a
                  learning
                  > curve. What I don't want is for it to happen again for the same
                  reason. So
                  > I'm here to try find out the reason if yous'll oblige me?
                  >
                  > My setup:
                  > A 25L basin
                  > 6 kilos of sugar
                  > 2x140g tins of tomato pur�e
                  > 1 multivitamin tab and 1 vit B complex (both crushed and boiled in
                  some
                  > water with the pur�e)
                  > This was then added to the basin and topped up with water along
                  with the 6
                  > kilos of sugar and mixed well. The temp was too high (~43C) so I
                  left it
                  > covered overnight to cool with the aerator running. In the morning
                  I turned
                  > on the (50W) thermostat to keep it at a steady 25C. The pH was 8.8
                  so I
                  > added some lemon juice and brought it to 6.5.
                  > I then added 100g of dried bakers yeast, stirred well and left it
                  with the
                  > aerator running for another 36hours. When I checked it after 36
                  hours it was
                  > all foamy and smelled lovely and alcoholic (I was over the moon!).
                  I took a
                  > quick taste of it, it was still quite sweet but there was a
                  definite cider
                  > quality to it. I checked the pH and it was 3.7, a bit low, so I
                  added a tsp
                  > of baking soda (sodium bicarb) to it which brought it up to 4.4,
                  perfect.
                  > That was last sunday night (the 27th of feb).. and though it had
                  gotten ever
                  > so slightly less sweet (more alcoholic) since then, it's progress
                  has been
                  > mindnumbingly slow.
                  >
                  > It is still carbonated (visibly so) which is slightly surprising to
                  me given
                  > it doesn't have a proper airlock, just wrapped over with cling-film
                  with a
                  > couple holes punched in it.
                  >
                  > My ideas about why it may be stuck:
                  > A) The soda bicarb was the wrong thing to add, and whatever the
                  salt or
                  > whatever it produces when it neutralised with the acid has hindered
                  the
                  > yeast in some way (btw I know now not to add lemon juice initially,
                  hadn't
                  > counted on the yeast reducing the ph itself).
                  > B) There was insufficient nutrient available (what
                  homedistiller.org sites
                  > as the usual problem) for the yeast to keep going. Maybe the tomato
                  paste
                  > wasn't enough? Maybe I need to add something else?
                  >
                  > Your thoughts and comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
                  >
                  > Cheers
                  > ~Dec

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • kiss my ass
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 4, 2005
                    the amount os sugar is about right for 25lt of water ..... just add one can
                    of tomato paste and 3 to 4 oz of molassas.... be sure to use rapid rise
                    bread yeast or it won't finish..... keep it above 70 deg F but not over
                    80....... don't worry about aerating it....don't bother with PH, it will be
                    about right ...... leave it alone.....quit fussing with it....don't make
                    something so incredibly simple into something complicated..... it might take
                    as long as 4 weeks to ferment, depending on temperature and how much sugar
                    you add

                    Kim

                    > My first wash so I'm not really dissappointed, I realise it is a learning
                    > curve. What I don't want is for it to happen again for the same reason. So
                    > I'm here to try find out the reason if yous'll oblige me?
                    >
                    > My setup:
                    > A 25L basin
                    > 6 kilos of sugar
                    > 2x140g tins of tomato purée
                    > 1 multivitamin tab and 1 vit B complex (both crushed and boiled in some
                    > water with the purée)
                    > This was then added to the basin and topped up with water along with the 6
                    > kilos of sugar and mixed well. The temp was too high (~43C) so I left it
                    > covered overnight to cool with the aerator running. In the morning I
                    > turned
                    > on the (50W) thermostat to keep it at a steady 25C. The pH was 8.8 so I
                    > added some lemon juice and brought it to 6.5.
                    > I then added 100g of dried bakers yeast, stirred well and left it with the
                    > aerator running for another 36hours. When I checked it after 36 hours it
                    > was
                    > all foamy and smelled lovely and alcoholic (I was over the moon!). I took
                    > quick taste of it, it was still quite sweet but there was a definite cider
                    > quality to it. I checked the pH and it was 3.7, a bit low, so I added a
                    > tsp
                    > of baking soda (sodium bicarb) to it which brought it up to 4.4, perfect.
                    > That was last sunday night (the 27th of feb).. and though it had gotten
                    > ever
                    > so slightly less sweet (more alcoholic) since then, it's progress has been
                    > mindnumbingly slow.
                    >
                    > It is still carbonated (visibly so) which is slightly surprising to me
                    > given
                    > it doesn't have a proper airlock, just wrapped over with cling-film with a
                    > couple holes punched in it.
                    >
                    > My ideas about why it may be stuck:
                    > A) The soda bicarb was the wrong thing to add, and whatever the salt or
                    > whatever it produces when it neutralised with the acid has hindered the
                    > yeast in some way (btw I know now not to add lemon juice initially, hadn't
                    > counted on the yeast reducing the ph itself).
                    > B) There was insufficient nutrient available (what homedistiller.org sites
                    > as the usual problem) for the yeast to keep going. Maybe the tomato paste
                    > wasn't enough? Maybe I need to add something else?
                    >
                    > Your thoughts and comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
                    >
                    > Cheers
                    > ~Dec

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • donald holcombe

                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 5, 2005
                        Thanks everyone for your input and advice... Your experience has helped me a
                        lot, I won't be messing with my brew so much in future and I'll only aerate
                        it for a small amount (that explanation about it hindering fermentation was
                        verry informative)

                      • - Dec
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 5, 2005
                          Can't figure this one out.. My (internal reflux) still was finished
                          yesterday. Ran piping hot water through it for 30 mins to clean. Black stuff
                          came out as a result of the brazing.

                          Began a test distillation last nite, man it was messed up, water flying
                          everywhere, temperature fluctuating crazily. Began to get the hang of it
                          then thankfully. The heads had a sweet/stale metallic smell, so did the
                          middle run and (to my surprise) so did the tails.

                          Odd

                          This morning I took the still apart and noticed that the mesh at the bottom
                          of the column was not the stainless-steel mesh I was informed it was, and
                          had infact completely rusted.. The stale metallic stink from it very
                          strong..
                          So I removed the mesh (don't really need it, the packing {real ss-scrubbers}
                          stays in by itself between the inlet and outlet pipes to the condenser)
                          scrubbed my pot and lid and rinsed water through my still for a few minutes.
                          Then I set it up again and am just after boiling and distilling water
                          through it for 3 hours. The distilled WATER also has strong a sweet/stale
                          metallic smell/taste and it doesn't seem to be getting any better!?

                          How can potable water be distilled and become unpotable.. ?
                          If it's the rust from the mesh how can I remove the flavour from my still?

                          If it's not that rust then what could it be??
                          My still is pretty much the same as the internal reflux one on
                          moonshine-still.com, with a ss-pot, ss-scrubbers and a rubber fixing in the
                          top with a screw in plastic lid. The lid has a small hole in it which I put
                          the thermometer through..

                          Thanks
                          ~Dec

                          Rain, shine, sleet or snow? Find out at MSN Weather!
                          http://www.msn.ie/weather
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 5, 2005
                            <hoginhog_1_2_fraggel@h...> wrote:
                            > Can't figure this one out.. My (internal reflux) still was
                            finished
                            > yesterday. Ran piping hot water through it for 30 mins to clean.
                            Black stuff
                            > came out as a result of the brazing.
                            >
                            > Began a test distillation last nite, man it was messed up, water
                            flying
                            > everywhere, temperature fluctuating crazily. Began to get the hang
                            of it
                            > then thankfully. The heads had a sweet/stale metallic smell, so
                            did the
                            > middle run and (to my surprise) so did the tails.
                            >
                            > Odd
                            >
                            > This morning I took the still apart and noticed that the mesh at
                            the bottom
                            > of the column was not the stainless-steel mesh I was informed it
                            was, and
                            > had infact completely rusted.. The stale metallic stink from it
                            very
                            > strong..
                            > So I removed the mesh (don't really need it, the packing {real ss-
                            scrubbers}
                            > stays in by itself between the inlet and outlet pipes to the
                            condenser)
                            > scrubbed my pot and lid and rinsed water through my still for a
                            few minutes.
                            > Then I set it up again and am just after boiling and distilling
                            water
                            > through it for 3 hours. The distilled WATER also has strong a
                            sweet/stale
                            > metallic smell/taste and it doesn't seem to be getting any better!?
                            >
                            > How can potable water be distilled and become unpotable.. ?
                            > If it's the rust from the mesh how can I remove the flavour from
                            my still?

                            > If it's not that rust then what could it be??
                            > My still is pretty much the same as the internal reflux one on
                            > moonshine-still.com, with a ss-pot, ss-scrubbers and a rubber
                            fixing in the
                            > top with a screw in plastic lid. The lid has a small hole in it
                            which I put
                            > the thermometer through..
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            > ~Dec

                            I see several problems here. First, cooling tubes through the
                            column are a no-no. They interfere with the stable temps needed for
                            reflux. It's a bad design by people who don't understand the
                            principles of distillation and separation. This subject has been
                            done to death, check the archives.

                            Second, get rid of any plastic and rubber that can come in contact
                            with hot ethanol vapours. If you must use a rubber stopper, make
                            sure it's nitrile.

                            Third, you need to use something a lot stronger than boiling water
                            to remove the crud & slag from brazing. Try soaking in vinegar for
                            24 hrs., then steam it out again. Alternatively use a proprietary
                            cleaning fluid recommended by the firm who makes your flux and rods,
                            then steam.

                            Fourth, the sweet metallic taste is a strong indicator of iron
                            contamination, similar but stronger than well water high in iron.
                            My guess is the rust is all the way through your SS packing.

                            Fifth, true SS is not the best choice for packing. It's inert. You
                            need something to remove sulphides from your distillate. Pure
                            copper does this by reaction. SS does not.

                          • - Dec
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 5, 2005
                              >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
                              >

                              >I see several problems here. First, cooling tubes through the
                              >column are a no-no. They interfere with the stable temps needed for
                              >reflux. It's a bad design by people who don't understand the
                              >principles of distillation and separation. This subject has been
                              >done to death, check the archives.
                              >
                              >Second, get rid of any plastic and rubber that can come in contact
                              >with hot ethanol vapours. If you must use a rubber stopper, make
                              >sure it's nitrile.
                              >
                              >Third, you need to use something a lot stronger than boiling water
                              >to remove the crud & slag from brazing. Try soaking in vinegar for
                              >24 hrs., then steam it out again. Alternatively use a proprietary
                              >cleaning fluid recommended by the firm who makes your flux and rods,
                              >then steam.
                              >
                              >Fourth, the sweet metallic taste is a strong indicator of iron
                              >contamination, similar but stronger than well water high in iron.
                              >My guess is the rust is all the way through your SS packing.
                              >
                              >Fifth, true SS is not the best choice for packing. It's inert. You
                              >need something to remove sulphides from your distillate. Pure
                              >copper does this by reaction. SS does not.
                              >

                              >Slainte!
                              >regards Harry

                              Yeah I'm minoring in chemistry and I thought putting the cooling tubes
                              through the column wasn't quite right. But I went with it cos I figured they
                              knew what they were talkin about.. It's too late now anyway, I've invested
                              too much in it.

                              I'm currently soaking my ss scrubbers in a jar of vinegar. I don't have
                              enough vinegar to soak the whole still, but I've rinsed it and I'm gonna buy
                              some more to soak it better in the morning.

                              I've just checked and the plastic up the top is actually deforming.. yeah
                              maybe I shud find an alternate.. I'm thinking I have something I could use.
                              Would a brass plumbing fitting react in an adverse way? I don't think so but
                              I'd like to be sure..

                              Iron contamination it is then.. glad that's sorted out. I really hate not
                              knowing what's wrong.
                              Thanks (really thanks) for all your help..

                              ~Dec

                              PS: Harry, you're from Ireland right? If you are, do ya know where I might
                              get some copper mesh? If not, then does anyone know where I might get some
                              on the net?

                              Feeling flirtatious? Chat cheekily on MSN Messenger!
                              http://messenger.msn.co.uk/Beta/Default.aspx
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 5, 2005
                                <hoginhog_1_2_fraggel@h...> wrote:

                                > Yeah I'm minoring in chemistry and I thought putting the cooling
                                tubes
                                > through the column wasn't quite right. But I went with it cos I
                                figured they
                                > knew what they were talkin about.. It's too late now anyway, I've
                                invested
                                > too much in it.

                                ...................... The column can be modified. Cut the column
                                above and below the thru tubes, then cut the tubes themselves,
                                leaving enough to put 90° elbow fitting on. This removes the
                                offending pieces from the column. Then you replace the removed
                                column sections with union fittings to rejoin the column. Solder
                                the elbow fittings on to attach your hoses to, and solder a short
                                length of tubing between the column and the condenser as a
                                supporting brace. Job done.

                                > I'm currently soaking my ss scrubbers in a jar of vinegar. I don't
                                have
                                > enough vinegar to soak the whole still, but I've rinsed it and I'm
                                gonna buy
                                > some more to soak it better in the morning.
                                >
                                > I've just checked and the plastic up the top is actually
                                deforming.. yeah
                                > maybe I shud find an alternate.. I'm thinking I have something I
                                could use.
                                > Would a brass plumbing fitting react in an adverse way? I don't
                                think so but
                                > I'd like to be sure..

                                ....................... Brass is fine. A solution of two parts
                                white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide (common 3% solution)
                                will remove tarnish and surface lead from brass parts when they are
                                soaked for 5-10 minutes at room temperature. The brass will turn a
                                buttery yellow color as it is cleaned. If the solution starts to
                                turn green and the brass darkens, then the parts have been soaking
                                too long and the copper in the brass is beginning to dissolve,
                                exposing more lead. The solution has become contaminated and the
                                part should be re-cleaned in a fresh solution.

                                > Iron contamination it is then.. glad that's sorted out. I really
                                hate not
                                > knowing what's wrong.
                                > Thanks (really thanks) for all your help..
                                >
                                > ~Dec
                                >
                                > PS: Harry, you're from Ireland right? If you are, do ya know where
                                I might
                                > get some copper mesh? If not, then does anyone know where I might
                                get some
                                > on the net?

                                ...................Not from Ireland. Far North Queensland,
                                Australia. Copper mesh is available online. Look in the links
                                section left of this page, Suppliers/Commercial. Amphora structured
                                mesh.

                              • shootzoo
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 6, 2005
                                  Brawny as in the paper towels, make 100% pure copper pot scubbers.
                                  They pasted the test useing a magnet but I haven't done any sort of
                                  acid/salt test yet. But I'm thinking they're pure copper as indicated
                                  on the label. They are about 4" in diameter and an inche thick.I got
                                  a 2 pack the other day for $1.49 so that may be the most cost
                                  effective way to go.
                                • Cary Rhodes
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 6, 2005
                                    dec

                                    the household copper scrubbers that you can get at the grocery store
                                    are fine.

                                    Just make sure they are all copper and not just coated in coppper.

                                    In the US "Brawney" brand is a good choice.

                                    Or check the Links section. Harry has a section called "where do I
                                    get it"

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 6, 2005
                                      Okay so I took out the packing and soaked it in vinegar over nite. Once it
                                      was rinsed it smelled fine, all cured :)

                                      The still on the other hand.. I spent the entire day today trying to clean
                                      it.
                                      Firstly I poured vinegar through it about 30 times over about 2 hours. Came
                                      out all blue etc.. Then I ran a continuous stream of hot water through it
                                      and put all sorts of cleaning solutions/detergents (my yoke is brazed so its
                                      ok) through it. Kept the hot water going til it was completely clear and for
                                      a good bit afterwards.

                                      Anyway I set it up again and put steam through it and distilled some water.
                                      Same contamination, sweet-metallic flavour after a whole friggin day of
                                      cleaning!

                                      Taking it up again I turned it upside-down and into the base of the column I
                                      stuffed a cloth down as far as it would go (til the 1st cooling tube) and
                                      twisted it around. When I took it out it was covered in a brown/orange
                                      residue. I found this very strange.. Did it again and no more came out. .
                                      Reckon I need some sort of long handled pipe cleaner or something to give
                                      this a good scrub on the inside.. Any suggestions?

                                      ~Dec

                                      Have you tried the all-new MSN Search? Test-drive it today!
                                      http://search.msn.co.uk
                                    • popwahtosh
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 6, 2005
                                        <hoginhog_1_2_fraggel@h...> wrote:
                                        > Okay so I took out the packing and soaked it in vinegar over nite.
                                        Once it
                                        > was rinsed it smelled fine, all cured :)
                                        >
                                        > The still on the other hand.. I spent the entire day today trying
                                        to clean
                                        > it.
                                        > Firstly I poured vinegar through it about 30 times over about 2
                                        hours. Came
                                        > out all blue etc.. Then I ran a continuous stream of hot water
                                        through it
                                        > and put all sorts of cleaning solutions/detergents (my yoke is
                                        brazed so its
                                        > ok) through it. Kept the hot water going til it was completely
                                        clear and for
                                        > a good bit afterwards.
                                        >
                                        > Anyway I set it up again and put steam through it and distilled
                                        some water.
                                        > Same contamination, sweet-metallic flavour after a whole friggin
                                        day of
                                        > cleaning!
                                        >
                                        > Taking it up again I turned it upside-down and into the base of the
                                        column I
                                        > stuffed a cloth down as far as it would go (til the 1st cooling
                                        tube) and
                                        > twisted it around. When I took it out it was covered in a
                                        brown/orange
                                        > residue. I found this very strange.. Did it again and no more came
                                        out. .
                                        > Reckon I need some sort of long handled pipe cleaner or something
                                        to give
                                        > this a good scrub on the inside.. Any suggestions?
                                        >

                                        > ~Dec
                                        ===========================

                                        Hey, Dec. Don't know if this will help or not. Back a few months ago
                                        when I completed my still, I filled it with vinegar, let it set
                                        overnight, then flushed it with cold water. I then fired it up and
                                        distilled some water with it. It had a sweet, metallic smell and
                                        taste to the water. I promptly posted to the group what had
                                        happened. Someone told me that was to be expected. For some strange
                                        reason distilled water would smell and taste like that but distilled
                                        alcohol would be fine. He told me that he didn't know why and it was
                                        a mystery to him. I thought he was yanking my chain but he was right.
                                        I've never had to carbon filter my stuff. Taste great every time

                                        Lots of luck

                                        Pop

                                        > Have you tried the all-new MSN Search? Test-drive it today!
                                        > http://search.msn.co.uk
                                      • popwahtosh
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 6, 2005

                                          ========================

                                          Hey, Dec. Don't know if this will help or not. Back a few months ago
                                          when I completed my still, I filled it with vinegar, let it set
                                          overnight, then flushed it with cold water. I then fired it up and
                                          distilled some water with it. It had a sweet, metallic smell and
                                          taste to the water. I promptly posted to the group what had
                                          happened. Someone told me that was to be expected. For some strange
                                          reason distilled water would smell and taste like that but distilled
                                          alcohol would be fine. He told me that he didn't know why and it was
                                          a mystery to him. I thought he was yanking my chain but he was right.
                                          I've never had to carbon filter my stuff. Taste great every time

                                          Lots of luck

                                          Pop

                                          > Have you tried the all-new MSN Search? Test-drive it today!
                                          > http://search.msn.co.uk
                                        • Lindsay Williams
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 6, 2005
                                            Good advice, Pop. Most everyone I know who has distilled water says it
                                            tastes crap!

                                            Cheers,
                                            Lindsay.

                                            > Hey, Dec. Don't know if this will help or not. Back a few months ago
                                            > when I completed my still, I filled it with vinegar, let it set
                                            > overnight, then flushed it with cold water. I then fired it up and
                                            > distilled some water with it. It had a sweet, metallic smell and
                                            > taste to the water. I promptly posted to the group what had
                                            > happened. Someone told me that was to be expected. For some strange
                                            > reason distilled water would smell and taste like that but distilled
                                            > alcohol would be fine. He told me that he didn't know why and it was
                                            > a mystery to him. I thought he was yanking my chain but he was right.
                                            > I've never had to carbon filter my stuff. Taste great every time
                                            >
                                            > Lots of luck
                                            >
                                            > Pop

                                            > > Have you tried the all-new MSN Search? Test-drive it today!
                                            > > http://search.msn.co.uk
                                          • Kim
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 7, 2005
                                              How I cleaned the column of my new still...... follow close as there
                                              is no pic....

                                              take about a 4 foot piece of 1/2 inch pvc pipe....cut a slot length
                                              wise in one end....cut up the pipe about 4 inches...make 2 saw cuts so
                                              the slot is about 1/4 inch wide.... insert a pad of scotch brite (the
                                              best) or a piece of cloth in the slot....

                                              on the other end of the pipe.....take a 1/2 inch pvc pipe cap and
                                              drill a 1/4 inch hole in the center....put a 1/4 bolt that is 2 inches
                                              long through the hole from the inside....put a nut on it and tighten
                                              it down on the outside...glue the cap on the pipe.....

                                              chuck the end of the bolt in an electric drill....squirt some liquid
                                              dish soap on the scotch brite pad and wet it....

                                              stick the end with the scotch brite pad in the column and turn on the
                                              drill.....run it slowly and stroke it back and forth to clean the
                                              inside of the column until it's shiny and clean.....flush well

                                              Kim

                                              <hoginhog_1_2_fraggel@h...> wrote:
                                              > Okay so I took out the packing and soaked it in vinegar over nite.
                                              Once it
                                              > was rinsed it smelled fine, all cured :)
                                              >
                                              > The still on the other hand.. I spent the entire day today trying to
                                              clean
                                              > it.
                                              > Firstly I poured vinegar through it about 30 times over about 2
                                              hours. Came
                                              > out all blue etc.. Then I ran a continuous stream of hot water
                                              through it
                                              > and put all sorts of cleaning solutions/detergents (my yoke is
                                              brazed so its
                                              > ok) through it. Kept the hot water going til it was completely clear
                                              and for
                                              > a good bit afterwards.
                                              >
                                              > Anyway I set it up again and put steam through it and distilled some
                                              water.
                                              > Same contamination, sweet-metallic flavour after a whole friggin day of
                                              > cleaning!
                                              >
                                              > Taking it up again I turned it upside-down and into the base of the
                                              column I
                                              > stuffed a cloth down as far as it would go (til the 1st cooling
                                              tube) and
                                              > twisted it around. When I took it out it was covered in a brown/orange
                                              > residue. I found this very strange.. Did it again and no more came
                                              out. .
                                              > Reckon I need some sort of long handled pipe cleaner or something to
                                              give
                                              > this a good scrub on the inside.. Any suggestions?
                                              >

                                              > ~Dec

                                              > Have you tried the all-new MSN Search? Test-drive it today!
                                              > http://search.msn.co.uk
                                            • David W Lunsford
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 7, 2005
                                                Hey, Dec, try an old gun cleaner's method. Take a piece of twine, twice
                                                as long as (preferably longer) than the height of your column...tie a nail
                                                onto one end and drop this nail down through the column. Tie a rag, or
                                                scrubber, or whatever you desire (old sock) in the middle of the string,
                                                pull it back and forth, changing rags and cleaning solution of your
                                                choice......works well in column, and liebig condensor...maxtonnage

                                                (see Harry, I do have something to contribute every once in a while)

                                                >Okay so I took out the packing and soaked it in vinegar over nite. Once it
                                                >was rinsed it smelled fine, all cured :)
                                                >
                                                >The still on the other hand.. I spent the entire day today trying to clean
                                                >it.
                                                >(BIG SNIP)
                                                >

                                                >~Dec

                                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                              • David W Lunsford
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 7, 2005
                                                  maybe home distilled water just tastes that way, as we are not accustomed
                                                  to drinking home distilled water, at least not me....maxtonnage

                                                  >Good advice, Pop. Most everyone I know who has distilled water says it
                                                  >tastes crap!
                                                  >
                                                  >Cheers,
                                                  >Lindsay.

                                                  >> > Have you tried the all-new MSN Search? Test-drive it today!
                                                  >> > http://search.msn.co.uk

                                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                                • Steve Sells
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 8, 2005
                                                    Fellow List members,

                                                    I think you are forgetting the basic Chemistry of "Pure Water" in that it
                                                    does not 'want" to be pure, so it bondsVERY FAST with anything it can,
                                                    I..E. the copper in the still column., so while the still may be 100%
                                                    functional, it is picking up the metallic taste from the still column after
                                                    it is vaporized, as well as from the cooling coils. BEcause 'pure water'
                                                    wont stay pure IF it is exposed to anything it can bond to.

                                                    Steve

                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Mar 9, 2005
                                                      That's interesting, Steve. So, what determines when it has enough
                                                      impurities not to keep on picking up still more impurities? (If you
                                                      get what I mean!).

                                                      Cheers,
                                                      Lindsay.