Finishing the spirit

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2000
      To David Ferg. The cloudy nature is usually due to the presence of
      proteins and
      unfermented sugar, which will foam in the still. More common with
      straight turbo
      than turbo extra.A capfull of distilling conditioner in the still will
      fix the problem.
      If its more like a cotteny filiment, then it is most likely due to high
      levels of calcium
      in the water.
      Your % for dripping are ok. The lower the % the more efficently the
      carbon will work.
      The drip rate is in part controlled by the amount of fine carbon that
      settles on the filter
      paper. I use small g clamps on hose on the outlet side of the filter to
      finely control
      the drip rate. I tried small plastic taps from micro irrigation systems,
      but the alcohol
      broke them down. The slower the drip rate, the better the alcohol. There
      is a
      dramatic improvement from one drip per second to one per 3. I use 1 per
      5.
      Hope this helps david. Have a look at
      http://www.stillspirits.com/freqaqs.htm