First wash

  • Dean Thomas
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 4, 2005
      hi guys,
      I started my first sugar wash using Still Spirits 48hr yeast at 12:30AM
      on Tuesday morning and its been running nicely ever since. Currently its
      still releasing a bubble every 70 seconds or so through the air lock and
      I was hoping to run it on saturday morning.
      If I dont run it tomorrow morning I may not get another chance for a
      couple of weeks (busy busy busy). Should I let it go and run it later or
      should I check the specific gravity and run it if its anywhere neare the
      0.98 acheavable.
      Also If I go ahead and run it should i use a clearing agent or just run
      it yeast and all.

      Thanks Dean.
    • where in the world is kim
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2006
        tyler

        there are many such recipes in the posts and files... please read them ALL
        .... yes, read all the messages from day 1...

        this should work ok:
        6 gal of water..
        10 lbs of sugar....if you use a 5 gal bucket, drop back to 8 lbs of sugar
        4 to 6 oz of molassas
        1 small can of tomato paste
        6 little packages of Fleischmans Rapid rise yease (.7gm each) (it must be
        rapid rise)
        start it at 85 deg and keep it above 70 deg

        should finish in 1 to 2 weeks
        if you mess around with the recipe ... it won't work

        read, read, read.... this recipe has been posted at least 50 times
        Kim

          > Ok, i plan on making a wash tomorrow and i was looking for a little
          > insight and advise. I was planning on making a sugar wash and throwing
          > in a ground up multivitamin and a crumbled up piece of bread and a for
          > of nutrient. i'm also just going to use some baker's yeast. From the
          > sounds of it, i'm sure that you can tell, i'm going for the cheapest
          > way about this. Does this recipe sound about right, or should i do there
          > something different? I'm basically just wondering if it will work?
          > Thanks for the help!
          >
          > -Tyler

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Organizational culture Distillers

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 3, 2006
            Search the archives for "supermarket moonshine"

            --
            Brendan Keith
            bkeith@...

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2006
              Greg

              it's my understanding that the molassas donates the nutrients and the tomato
              paste donates the nitrates and adjusts the ph... I have never checked the ph
              but I know that this recipe works as long as you don't add too much
              sugar.... about 12 to 14 percent is all that the rapid rise yeast will
              do..... regular bread yeast will only get you about 8 percent

              the funny part is that you can't smell the tomato paste in the wash and it
              doesn't come over in the distillate

              of course you could always do a turbo yeast wash that will go much higher in
              alcohol and you don't need to add anything except the sugar... but I am
              cheap and the above recipe makes good vodka.... I do a second distillation
              by diluting the distillate with clean water and getting as high abv as I
              can.... good stuff with a clean taste

            • Robert Thomas
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2006
                Forget the bread. Tip in a bit of molasses for nutrients, lemon juice
                to make sure it's acidic, and plenty of bakers yeast (2-3 tbsp dry
                stuff in 5 galls). shake/slop it up well to oxygenate, and start at
                20-26degC. Don't let it go below ca 15degC or it will take forever.
                Cheers,
                Rob.

                --- tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                > Ok, i plan on making a wash tomorrow and i was looking for a little
                > insight and advise. I was planning on making a sugar wash and
                > throwing
                > in a ground up multivitamin and a crumbled up piece of bread and a
                > for
                > of nutrient. i'm also just going to use some baker's yeast. From the
                > sounds of it, i'm sure that you can tell, i'm going for the cheapest
                > way about this. Does this recipe sound about right, or should i do
                > something different? I'm basically just wondering if it will work?
                > Thanks for the help!
                >
                > -Tyler

                Cheers,
                Rob.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Gregory Bloom
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2006
                  Yes, from the sound of it, your wash will produce ethanol. Since baker's yeast is cheap if you buy it in bricks ($2.65/lb at Costco), you could make a cup of 'yeast hulls' by briefly boiling a bunch of yeast in a cup of water and add that dead yeast for nutrient (the cannibalistic buggers'll eat whatever they can get and dead yeast has just the right nutrients). Some folks use a can of tomato paste for nutrient as well. Your wash can be expected to make nice, clean vodka if you have a well-tuned reflux column, or make some 'one-pistol' spirit if you're using an 'amazing still' and filter it through activated carbon (where they only have to hold one loaded pistol to your head to get you to drink the stuff), or 'two-pistol' spirit if you drink it straight from the bucket without using activated carbon.

                  tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote:

                  Ok, i plan on making a wash tomorrow and i was looking for a little
                  insight and advise. I was planning on making a sugar wash and throwing
                  in a ground up multivitamin and a crumbled up piece of bread and a for
                  of nutrient. i'm also just going to use some baker's yeast. From the
                  sounds of it, i'm sure that you can tell, i'm going for the cheapest
                  way about this. Does this recipe sound about right, or should i do
                  something different? I'm basically just wondering if it will work?
                  Thanks for the help!

                  -Tyler

                  Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                  ---------------------------------

                • Sam Thomas
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2006
                    Bad idea on the multivitamin, I did that once and the vitamin flavor came through to the alcohol. Not good.

                    I use a simple tried and true recipe that produces about 3.5L of 92% every time.

                    6 Gal hot tap water
                    16 Lbs brown sugar
                    200 Grams baker's yeast
                    1 can molassas

                    Ferment for 2 weeks. Done.

                    tyler_97355 <kd7enm@...> wrote: Ok, i plan on making a wash tomorrow and i was looking for a little
                    insight and advise. I was planning on making a sugar wash and throwing
                    in a ground up multivitamin and a crumbled up piece of bread and a for
                    of nutrient. i'm also just going to use some baker's yeast. From the
                    sounds of it, i'm sure that you can tell, i'm going for the cheapest
                    way about this. Does this recipe sound about right, or should i do
                    something different? I'm basically just wondering if it will work?
                    Thanks for the help!

                    -Tyler

                    Home distilling Culture Culture club Organizational culture Distillers

                    ---------------------------------

                  • chris
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 2, 2013
                      Ahoy Ahoy All,

                      I went yesterday and got a 20 gallon food grade double bung barrel and a funnel. Sanitized everything with dilute bleach and rinsed with fresh water and added a strip thermometer. Last night I heated 11 gallons of water in my pot to 90F and added 35 pounds of sugar. Stirred it well to dissolve. I tried to pick it up to pour it in the fermenter but the damn thing was to heavy. I didn't take into account the weight of the the sugar. I happened to have a 12V pump that I used to make the transfer (I now have a new best friend). Pitched the 2 packs of turbo classic and gave it a vigorous stir, fitted the airlock and Bobs your uncle. For heat I have an old smoker that didn't work very well to smoke anything. I took the heating element out and fitted it to a cut down can and built a frame of bricks and wood to set the fermenter up on above the element. I went out this morning to check it out and the thermometer reads 77F and it's bubbling away like gang busters. Smells pretty good like bread. I think I'm going to wrap a blanket around the whole mess to keep it warm (it's been pretty chilly here at night) Anyhow that's my story, sorry about the spelling.

                      Chris
                    • Blackhat-Whitedog
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                        can someone link to a recommended hydrometers. I know you need one for lower level washes and one for higher spirits.

                        I suppose they come in sets.
                      • RLB
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                          I would suggest buying hydrometer separate from a proof and tralle.  They are both each under $10.  I own a hydrometer, proof, and tralle meter, and its very confusing to use.

                          Robert

                          can someone link to a recommended hydrometers. I know you need one for lower level washes and one for higher spirits.

                          I suppose they come in sets.

                        • dave28622000
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 3, 2013
                            Ive never seen them in sets - I got mine at the local home brew supply & thats where I'd suggest you look. They're about 6 or 8 bucks. Here's a link if you can't find what you need locally. Slainte, Doc http://www.brewhaus.com/