Any coppersmiths in the group?

  • shootzoo
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
      I'm about to buy in a few minutes a 12.??? something gallon pot.
      Thats what the math says but it has a taper I didn't know how to
      cypher. So it's at least a 10 gallon pot.
      Thing is though it don't have lid. I practiced some hammering on
      aluminum today and while I could make a lid for it, from copper., it
      would be nowhere near the quality of the pot.
      I need a roller or maybe I'm beating it more than I should. The tools
      needed to make it myself doesn't make it very cost effective.
      I want some that looks good! something I'd be proud to display. To
      very close friends any way.
      4 more minutes and and the pot it mine.

      Really I need a some one to make a lid.

      Owww
      35 seconds left.....
      And...
      I just bought my self a hell of a Copper Pot.
      I'm really Happy about that.

      Really let me know don't be shy I wouldn't want to miss a reply or
      post.

      I'm impatient about make some but I see these things take time and
      must be handles delicately. Specially that walnut snapps/brandy.
      OH yeah I'm gonna love this Hobby.
      ;-)
    • pete_larosa
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
        > Really I need a some one to make a lid.

        Rick,
        What diameter lid does it have to be? I needed one 13" in diameter
        and after an exhausting search and almost paying for one from a
        local welder I found one on ebay for $4.00. Stainless Steel too!

        The girl had one listed as a regular auction but I didn't feel
        like doing the bidding game and waiting so I emailed her and she had
        plenty of them. I asked her to put one up for a "Buy it now" feature
        which she did and I got it in three days. Cut my hole, mounted my
        column and did my FIRST RUN just today!! Came out GREAT too! I'm so
        excited.

        Anyway, check on ebay, you never know bro.

        Pete
      • shootzoo
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
          HEh Heh. Yeah I can feel your enthusiasim (sp) I like it.
          My pot lid needs to be 16 and 1/2 inches in diamiter.
          I can work on that later but fer sure I can use all the info I can
          get. And thanks.
          Right now I'm building the head for a pot still.
          I'm building two, a pot still and a reflux still. Don't think I'll be
          needing the reflux to much yet but that could easily change.
          The reflux pot should be here tuesday and I've yet to even pay for
          THE COPPER POT. I bought a book to teach me copper smithing too so
          maybe after awhile I can make or FABricate some things for y'all.
          But of Course I'm on the groung floor on both levels.
          Any ways Either head will fit on either pot when all is said and done.

          I hope I'm makin sence to you, I've been sippin some to pordon please.

          ;-)

          --Rick--

          -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "pete_larosa" <larosa@b...>
          wrote:

          > > Really I need a some one to make a lid.
          >

          > Rick,
          > What diameter lid does it have to be? I needed one 13" in
          diameter
          > and after an exhausting search and almost paying for one from a
          > local welder I found one on ebay for $4.00. Stainless Steel too!
          >
          > The girl had one listed as a regular auction but I didn't feel
          > like doing the bidding game and waiting so I emailed her and she
          had
          > plenty of them. I asked her to put one up for a "Buy it now"
          feature
          > which she did and I got it in three days. Cut my hole, mounted my
          > column and did my FIRST RUN just today!! Came out GREAT too! I'm so
          > excited.
          >
          > Anyway, check on ebay, you never know bro.
          >
          > Pete
        • shootzoo
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
            Here's a link to the POT
            on ebay

            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
            ViewItem&rd=1&item=6157951545&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT
          • shootzoo
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 3, 2005
              Here's a link to the pot I got

              It defentantly looks to have a lot of history and character. I'll
              most likely keep the petina on the out side but the inside will
              surely be vigoriously cleaned!! Who knows what may have been in the
              pot. Some crazy F'er may have boiled some heads in it or something.
              HEADS??? be sure to get rid of those. heh heh ;-)
              --Rick--

              http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
              ViewItem&rd=1&item=6157951545&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT
            • bradr36
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shootzoo" <Rickle@p...> wrote:

                > HEh Heh. Yeah I can feel your enthusiasim (sp) I like it.
                > My pot lid needs to be 16 and 1/2 inches in diamiter.
                > I can work on that later but fer sure I can use all the info I can
                > get. And thanks.
                > Right now I'm building the head for a pot still.
                > I'm building two, a pot still and a reflux still. Don't think I'll
                be
                > needing the reflux to much yet but that could easily change.
                > The reflux pot should be here tuesday and I've yet to even pay for
                > THE COPPER POT. I bought a book to teach me copper smithing too so
                > maybe after awhile I can make or FABricate some things for y'all.
                > But of Course I'm on the groung floor on both levels.
                > Any ways Either head will fit on either pot when all is said and
                done.

                > I hope I'm makin sence to you, I've been sippin some to pordon
                please.

                > ;-)
                ==========================
                shootzoo, take a look at this looks like the 17" one might work for
                you.

                http://tinyurl.com/6gktc

                add this www.tinyurl.com to your toolbar to make links smaller.

                BR
              • shootzoo
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 4, 2005
                  With some hammering to make a round top, roll the edge and braze a
                  coupling for it those plates would work great.
                  But as it is now
                  I broke the bank.
                  :-(
                  Thanks though it deffenantly gave me some ideas that will work.
                  --Rick--