Re: Spirit Hydrometer

  • Cuichulain Setanta
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KJH" <merlingraphics@b...> wrote:
      > Any brew shop......Ken

      Will they be able to measure specific gravity low enough, though? I
      got a hydrometer to measure the s.g. of my wash and it will only go
      down to 0.98

      Is that low enough? I was expecting strong spirit to be around 0.7 ish?

      I do have access to fairly accurate balances though. Does anyone know
      how density varies as concentration?
    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
        everybody needs 2 hydrometers.

        one for the mash -- reading 1.1 tp .98 or so

        and one for the high ethanol products to measure the percent alcohol.

        hey, they are only 5 dollars each.

        cary r

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
          Yeah, I've got the first kind, but as distillation is illegal in the
          UK no one sells the second kind, unfortunately.

          Can't even find one on eBay, they're all expensive antique ones

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@y...>
          wrote:

          > everybody needs 2 hydrometers.
          >
          > one for the mash -- reading 1.1 tp .98 or so
          >
          > and one for the high ethanol products to measure the percent alcohol.
          >
          > hey, they are only 5 dollars each.
          >
          > cary r
          >

          > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
          > <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KJH" <merlingraphics@b...>
          > wrote:
          > > > Any brew shop......Ken
          > >

          > > Will they be able to measure specific gravity low enough, though? I
          > > got a hydrometer to measure the s.g. of my wash and it will only go
          > > down to 0.98
          > >
          > > Is that low enough? I was expecting strong spirit to be around 0.7
          > ish?
          > >

          > > I do have access to fairly accurate balances though. Does anyone
          > know
          > > how density varies as concentration?
        • bradr36
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
            ebay link

            http://tinyurl.com/6oy75

            BR

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
            <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:

            > Yeah, I've got the first kind, but as distillation is illegal in the
            > UK no one sells the second kind, unfortunately.
            >
            > Can't even find one on eBay, they're all expensive antique ones

          • Rana Pipiens
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
              Cuchulain. This may be stupid but maybe if you do your search for an "alcoholmeter" (hope I spelled that right ) you will have more sucess. Rana

              wrote:

              > everybody needs 2 hydrometers.
              >
              > one for the mash -- reading 1.1 tp .98 or so
              >
              > and one for the high ethanol products to measure the percent alcohol.
              >
              > hey, they are only 5 dollars each.
              >
              > cary r
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
              > <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KJH" <merlingraphics@b...>
              > wrote:
              > > > Any brew shop......Ken
              > >

              > > Will they be able to measure specific gravity low enough, though? I
              > > got a hydrometer to measure the s.g. of my wash and it will only go
              > > down to 0.98
              > >
              > > Is that low enough? I was expecting strong spirit to be around 0.7
              > ish?
              > >

              > > I do have access to fairly accurate balances though. Does anyone
              > know
              > > how density varies as concentration?

              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            • Cary Rhodes
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
                Brewhaus has plenty

                http://www.brewhaus.com/search_results.asp?
                iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen
                =ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt
                =alcohol+meter&Submit=go

                or

                http://tinyurl.com/559k4

              • jkirby007@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
                  try brewhaus on the internet

                  wrote:

                  > everybody needs 2 hydrometers.
                  >
                  > one for the mash -- reading 1.1 tp .98 or so
                  >
                  > and one for the high ethanol products to measure the percent alcohol.
                  >
                  > hey, they are only 5 dollars each.
                  >
                  > cary r
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
                  > <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote: