Spirit Hydrometer

  • Cuichulain Setanta
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2005
      Hi,

      Would anyone know where I could get a spirit hydrometer or alcometer
      capable of measuring high concentrations of alcohol in the UK?

      Cheers guys,
    • KJH
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
        Any brew shop......Ken
        > Would anyone know where I could get a spirit hydrometer or alcometer
        > capable of measuring high concentrations of alcohol in the UK?
        >
        > Cheers guys,

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Cuichulain Setanta
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KJH" <merlingraphics@b...> wrote:
          > Any brew shop......Ken

          Will they be able to measure specific gravity low enough, though? I
          got a hydrometer to measure the s.g. of my wash and it will only go
          down to 0.98

          Is that low enough? I was expecting strong spirit to be around 0.7 ish?

          I do have access to fairly accurate balances though. Does anyone know
          how density varies as concentration?
        • Cary Rhodes
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2005
            everybody needs 2 hydrometers.

            one for the mash -- reading 1.1 tp .98 or so

            and one for the high ethanol products to measure the percent alcohol.

            hey, they are only 5 dollars each.

            cary r

            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
              Yeah, I've got the first kind, but as distillation is illegal in the
              UK no one sells the second kind, unfortunately.

              Can't even find one on eBay, they're all expensive antique ones

              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@y...>
              wrote:

              > everybody needs 2 hydrometers.
              >
              > one for the mash -- reading 1.1 tp .98 or so
              >
              > and one for the high ethanol products to measure the percent alcohol.
              >
              > hey, they are only 5 dollars each.
              >
              > cary r
              >

              > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
              > <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KJH" <merlingraphics@b...>
              > wrote:
              > > > Any brew shop......Ken
              > >

              > > Will they be able to measure specific gravity low enough, though? I
              > > got a hydrometer to measure the s.g. of my wash and it will only go
              > > down to 0.98
              > >
              > > Is that low enough? I was expecting strong spirit to be around 0.7
              > ish?
              > >

              > > I do have access to fairly accurate balances though. Does anyone
              > know
              > > how density varies as concentration?
            • bradr36
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
                ebay link

                http://tinyurl.com/6oy75

                BR

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
                <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:

                > Yeah, I've got the first kind, but as distillation is illegal in the
                > UK no one sells the second kind, unfortunately.
                >
                > Can't even find one on eBay, they're all expensive antique ones

              • Rana Pipiens
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
                  Cuchulain. This may be stupid but maybe if you do your search for an "alcoholmeter" (hope I spelled that right ) you will have more sucess. Rana

                  wrote:

                  > everybody needs 2 hydrometers.
                  >
                  > one for the mash -- reading 1.1 tp .98 or so
                  >
                  > and one for the high ethanol products to measure the percent alcohol.
                  >
                  > hey, they are only 5 dollars each.
                  >
                  > cary r
                  >

                  > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
                  > <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KJH" <merlingraphics@b...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > > Any brew shop......Ken
                  > >

                  > > Will they be able to measure specific gravity low enough, though? I
                  > > got a hydrometer to measure the s.g. of my wash and it will only go
                  > > down to 0.98
                  > >
                  > > Is that low enough? I was expecting strong spirit to be around 0.7
                  > ish?
                  > >

                  > > I do have access to fairly accurate balances though. Does anyone
                  > know
                  > > how density varies as concentration?

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • Cary Rhodes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
                    Brewhaus has plenty

                    http://www.brewhaus.com/search_results.asp?
                    iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen
                    =ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt
                    =alcohol+meter&Submit=go

                    or

                    http://tinyurl.com/559k4

                  • jkirby007@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 7, 2005
                      try brewhaus on the internet

                      wrote:

                      > everybody needs 2 hydrometers.
                      >
                      > one for the mash -- reading 1.1 tp .98 or so
                      >
                      > and one for the high ethanol products to measure the percent alcohol.
                      >
                      > hey, they are only 5 dollars each.
                      >
                      > cary r
                      >

                      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cuichulain Setanta"
                      > <thephantombatterpuddinghurler@y...> wrote: