Re: The amazing plastic still

  • abbababbaccc
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      Make a small outlet at the bottom of the 25l bucket and you can try
      cuts and stuff. The quality of "amazing still" is actually slightly
      better than a potstill due to sub boiling point evaporation (less
      high boiling point stuff). Here's few photos of an improved version
      that will give over 60% (depend on mash %) at the start:

      Greetz, Riku

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shootzoo" <Rickle@p...> wrote:

      > I'm getting a little impatient in getting my parts together for a
      pot
      > still and am thinking of putting together one of the plastic
      stills.
      > What concerns me though is removeing the head as there is no
      mention
      > of it on their page. Shouldn't we be concerned about methanol being
      > present in the end product as a result of useing this method?
      > Am I missing some thing?
      > And if any one has done this what were the results? did you end up
      > with good flavor? or was it so contaminated with fusels it had to
      be
      > filtered. Is there any way to regulate it like a regular still.
      >
      > Either way I'll be giving it a try in at least a couple of weeks.
      And
      > if it turns out real bad, what the hey, I can always distill later
      > when the pot's ready. Right?
      >
      > Thanks
      > shootz
    • shootzoo
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Good idea I think I'll try that. I'm really not sure this method
        would even produce any methanol to begin with. But, better safe than
        sorry, right.

        <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:

        > Make a small outlet at the bottom of the 25l bucket and you can try
        > cuts and stuff. The quality of "amazing still" is actually slightly
        > better than a potstill due to sub boiling point evaporation (less
        > high boiling point stuff). Here's few photos of an improved version
        > that will give over 60% (depend on mash %) at the start:
        >
        > Greetz, Riku

      • vipereexx
        Message 3 of 4 , May 7, 2005
          Hi Riku,
          Looking over the pics of the modified amazing still, I understand
          the reason for the pastic pipe extension, wondering what the copper
          pipe is for...a return to the base pail, or is this for collection
          of the finished product? Newbie:), seriously considering buiding a
          unit.Any suggestions/guidance welcome. Thanks Rob