The amazing plastic still

  • shootzoo
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      I'm getting a little impatient in getting my parts together for a pot
      still and am thinking of putting together one of the plastic stills.
      What concerns me though is removeing the head as there is no mention
      of it on their page. Shouldn't we be concerned about methanol being
      present in the end product as a result of useing this method?
      Am I missing some thing?
      And if any one has done this what were the results? did you end up
      with good flavor? or was it so contaminated with fusels it had to be
      filtered. Is there any way to regulate it like a regular still.

      Either way I'll be giving it a try in at least a couple of weeks. And
      if it turns out real bad, what the hey, I can always distill later
      when the pot's ready. Right?

      Thanks
      shootz
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Make a small outlet at the bottom of the 25l bucket and you can try
        cuts and stuff. The quality of "amazing still" is actually slightly
        better than a potstill due to sub boiling point evaporation (less
        high boiling point stuff). Here's few photos of an improved version
        that will give over 60% (depend on mash %) at the start:

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "shootzoo" <Rickle@p...> wrote:

        > I'm getting a little impatient in getting my parts together for a
        pot
        > still and am thinking of putting together one of the plastic
        stills.
        > What concerns me though is removeing the head as there is no
        mention
        > of it on their page. Shouldn't we be concerned about methanol being
        > present in the end product as a result of useing this method?
        > Am I missing some thing?
        > And if any one has done this what were the results? did you end up
        > with good flavor? or was it so contaminated with fusels it had to
        be
        > filtered. Is there any way to regulate it like a regular still.
        >
        > Either way I'll be giving it a try in at least a couple of weeks.
        And
        > if it turns out real bad, what the hey, I can always distill later
        > when the pot's ready. Right?
        >
        > Thanks
        > shootz
      • shootzoo
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          Good idea I think I'll try that. I'm really not sure this method
          would even produce any methanol to begin with. But, better safe than
          sorry, right.

          <abbababbaccc@y...> wrote:

          > Make a small outlet at the bottom of the 25l bucket and you can try
          > cuts and stuff. The quality of "amazing still" is actually slightly
          > better than a potstill due to sub boiling point evaporation (less
          > high boiling point stuff). Here's few photos of an improved version
          > that will give over 60% (depend on mash %) at the start:
          >
          > Greetz, Riku

        • vipereexx
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7 8:10 PM
            Hi Riku,
            Looking over the pics of the modified amazing still, I understand
            the reason for the pastic pipe extension, wondering what the copper
            pipe is for...a return to the base pail, or is this for collection
            of the finished product? Newbie:), seriously considering buiding a
            unit.Any suggestions/guidance welcome. Thanks Rob