Re: [new_distillers] Re: How much left in Column...

  • Henry Stamp
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 1, 2005
      yes, it really helped clear up some stuff. im not sure i'll build a
      reflux column any time soon, but its still fascinating to learn about :)

      --
      --henry
    • abbababbaccc
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 1, 2005
        Sorry to interrupt Mike, but CM has automated shutdown if adjusted
        properly. Assuming constant cooling when the boiling point of vapor
        increases the cooling efficiency increases and output ceases. This of
        course requires that the output is pretty slow to start with. Best
        suited for air cooling, low wattage and power controller.

        Greetz, Riku

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...> wrote:
        > time. However, it does not have the feature that VM offers of
        automatically
        > stopping production towards the end of the main run, when the
        amount of
        > ethanol in the vapor starts to reduce and the tails start to rise
        in the
        > column. Nevertheless, that can be useful when making flavored
        spirits, for
        > then you do want to be able to select parts of the heads and the
        tails.

        > Hope all that makes sense :-))
        >
        > All the best,
        > Mike N
      • Mike Nixon
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 1, 2005
          abbababbaccc wrote:
          Subject: [new_distillers] Re: How much left in Column...

          Sorry to interrupt Mike, but CM has automated shutdown if adjusted
          properly. Assuming constant cooling when the boiling point of vapor
          increases the cooling efficiency increases and output ceases. This of
          course requires that the output is pretty slow to start with. Best
          suited for air cooling, low wattage and power controller.
          ================
          Tarue Riku ... but I was trying to be as general as possible. As you say,
          with careful "tweaking" then it can be made to shut down after the main run
          ... but it's quite a tricky balance to achieve and, as you say, you have to
          be running at a snail's pace.

          All the best,
          Mike N
        • abbababbaccc
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 1, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Nixon" <mike@s...> wrote:
            > abbababbaccc wrote:
            > Subject: [new_distillers] Re: How much left in Column...
            >
            > Sorry to interrupt Mike, but CM has automated shutdown if adjusted
            > properly. Assuming constant cooling when the boiling point of vapor
            > increases the cooling efficiency increases and output ceases. This
            of
            > course requires that the output is pretty slow to start with. Best
            > suited for air cooling, low wattage and power controller.
            > ================
            > Tarue Riku ... but I was trying to be as general as possible. As
            you say,
            > with careful "tweaking" then it can be made to shut down after the
            main run
            > ... but it's quite a tricky balance to achieve and, as you say, you
            have to
            > be running at a snail's pace.
            >
            > All the best,
            > Mike N

            Indeed so, for quality you need to take your time (unfortunately).
            You can, as a matter of fact, achieve shutdown inbetween heads and
            main run as well, but for that you'd better have 3-4 days to process
            25 liters mash (spirall still with column as an example). Still
            strugling to find a perfect balance of time versus quality versus
            trouble. Making whiskey on the other hand ... :)

            Greetz, Riku