still design

  • emailbenja
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2005
      Just wondering if anyone can help out with any design modifications
      to my proposed still.
      It is being built from 1.6mm stainless steel, with a tank capacity of
      32L. The top is conical in shape, with a 30 degree upward slope, The
      diameter is 300mm. The column is 40mm diameter by 600mm long. Packing
      will be stainless steel scrubbers (scourers).
      Being an electrical engineer, i have designed the following heating
      system- cost at the moment is nearing $AU300! Thankfully a sheetmetal
      worker friend is building the still!
      Essentially, 2 heating elements will be used. An 1800W element is
      used to get the wash up to temperature, with a thermal cut out and
      relay combination switching it off at 70 degrees. While this is
      running, a 600W element will run also. This 600W element is
      controlled by a solid state relay, with 0-100% proportional voltage
      control. An electric thermometer with alarm will be used to monitor
      temperature, so its not really a hands off operation.
      The current design has no provision for cooling water (we are having
      a drought here) to control reflux or liquidizing the vapour for
      collection. The condenser outlet will be air-cooled with a massive
      spiral heatsink (actually the heatsoink is pilfered from an old air
      heating element) and (possibly) fans.

      If anyone has something similar, or could suggest improvements, please
      let me know as i am wanting to have my first run in the next few
      weeks.
      PS many thanks to Tony Ackland- your home distiller site has inspired
      and made this project possible.

      Cheers
      Ben S
    • Dec
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2005
        Ben,
        Is your column made from copper? If not I'd advise you to use copper
        scourers in it.

        Macallan says the following:
        The more contact the wash and low wines have with copper the better, since
        it acts as a catalyst, removing sulphury impurities (in the wash still) and
        promoting the creation of esters (in the spirit still) - effectively
        cleaning and lightening the spirit.

        Home distillers says:
        Copper is an interesting case - high levels of it are known to be dubious
        to your health, however it has been (and will continue to be) used for
        centuries in commercial stills (because of its excellent ability to transfer
        heat). This is because any dissolution is at such a low rate that you don't
        get exposed to enough of it. It is well known that the low wines produced in
        commercial stills can be a light green in colour due to their copper
        pick-up, however they are still below limits prescribed for potable water by
        health authorities. It would also appear that the copper helps convert some
        of the esters & organic acids present (which affect taste and odour), so
        that they're reduced. Some people who have built stills without copper have
        later added some back in (say using copper srcubbers for column packing), to
        because their highly pure (93%+ purity) spirit still had a smell present,
        which only went away when they put some copper in the vapour path.