Re: Grappa Rookie needs help

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "polenta222"
      <polenta222@y...> wrote:

      > I have made wine but never grappa. My immigrant grandfather's
      copper
      > still and grappa recipe are long gone. I have found lots of
      recipes
      > but so far have not been able to find the type of copper still
      used
      > (and still sold)in Northern Italy for home grappa making. Can
      > anyone advise?

      The process for making grappa from white grapes and red grapes
      varies significantly. When a winemaker makes white wine the grape
      skins and juice are separated (pressed) before fermentation.
      Therefore the distiller must let the skins from white grapes ferment
      before distilling them. Red wines are fermented in contact with the
      grape skins so the pomace the grappa maker receives has already
      fermented. In addition, these red grape skins have also picked up
      flavors from the new wine. The lighter pressings employed by top
      winemakers today means more juice or wine remains with the pomace
      and a more elegant, aromatic grappa can be distilled.

      Extract from...
      http://www.vinocibo.com/specialeditionfranco.htm

      A very informative article on traditional grappa making.

      As to grappa stills, I don't know anyone who makes the traditional
      ones with the hand-turned stirrer, but these guys may be able to
      help if you tell them what you want...
      http://www.hogacompany.com/distillers.htm

      I've got a picture of one in the library if that helps, top-right
      here...

    • polenta222
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        Harry, thank you very much, I followed your article and links and am
        now on my way. I hope I can write again to you for advice if
        needed. Dan (Polenta222@...)

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 14, 2005
          <polenta222@y...> wrote:

          > Harry, thank you very much, I followed your article and links and
          am
          > now on my way. I hope I can write again to you for advice if
          > needed. Dan (Polenta222@y...)

          I've found a source of the still you were looking for...
          http://www.salvatoregreco.com/still.html