Grappa Rookie needs help

  • polenta222
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2005
      I have made wine but never grappa. My immigrant grandfather's copper
      still and grappa recipe are long gone. I have found lots of recipes
      but so far have not been able to find the type of copper still used
      (and still sold)in Northern Italy for home grappa making. Can
      anyone advise?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "polenta222"
        <polenta222@y...> wrote:

        > I have made wine but never grappa. My immigrant grandfather's
        copper
        > still and grappa recipe are long gone. I have found lots of
        recipes
        > but so far have not been able to find the type of copper still
        used
        > (and still sold)in Northern Italy for home grappa making. Can
        > anyone advise?

        The process for making grappa from white grapes and red grapes
        varies significantly. When a winemaker makes white wine the grape
        skins and juice are separated (pressed) before fermentation.
        Therefore the distiller must let the skins from white grapes ferment
        before distilling them. Red wines are fermented in contact with the
        grape skins so the pomace the grappa maker receives has already
        fermented. In addition, these red grape skins have also picked up
        flavors from the new wine. The lighter pressings employed by top
        winemakers today means more juice or wine remains with the pomace
        and a more elegant, aromatic grappa can be distilled.

        Extract from...
        http://www.vinocibo.com/specialeditionfranco.htm

        A very informative article on traditional grappa making.

        As to grappa stills, I don't know anyone who makes the traditional
        ones with the hand-turned stirrer, but these guys may be able to
        help if you tell them what you want...
        http://www.hogacompany.com/distillers.htm

        I've got a picture of one in the library if that helps, top-right
        here...

      • polenta222
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2005
          Harry, thank you very much, I followed your article and links and am
          now on my way. I hope I can write again to you for advice if
          needed. Dan (Polenta222@...)

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14, 2005
            <polenta222@y...> wrote:

            > Harry, thank you very much, I followed your article and links and
            am
            > now on my way. I hope I can write again to you for advice if
            > needed. Dan (Polenta222@y...)

            I've found a source of the still you were looking for...
            http://www.salvatoregreco.com/still.html