Re: [new_distillers] Column support

  • David W Lunsford
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
      I have done 2 units, the best using a piece of flat SS plate, with a copper
      coupler silver-soldered to it...clamps brazed to the keg with a silicon
      gasket, made from hi temp pure silicon, from the auto shop....maxtonnage

      At 11:20 PM 2/27/05 -0500, you wrote:

      >Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete column stability using
      >just the bowl, or do you use some additional support? The bowl that I have
      >is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't imagine everyone is buying
      >$30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in the bottom.
      >
      >I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else I'll
      >grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.
      >
      >Thanks.
      >
      >--
      >Brendan Keith

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
        Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll use them on the Mark II model.
        This first unit is for a friend and needs to be delivered for the weekend.
        I picked up some angle iron that I'll fab into some kind of support.

        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...

        I have done 2 units, the best using a piece of flat SS plate, with a
        copper
        coupler silver-soldered to it...clamps brazed to the keg with a silicon
        gasket, made from hi temp pure silicon, from the auto shop....maxtonnage

        At 11:20 PM 2/27/05 -0500, you wrote:

        >Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete column stability
        using
        >just the bowl, or do you use some additional support? The bowl that I
        have
        >is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't imagine everyone is
        buying
        >$30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in the bottom.
        >
        >I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else
        I'll
        >grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.
        >
        >Thanks.
        >
        >--
        >Brendan Keith

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Roderick Holmes
        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
          For additional support, I put an eye bolt into one of the studs in the ceiling. I then use a nylon cord and tie it to my offset. This also keeps the dog from knocking over my boiler since it has a small base.

          David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@...> wrote:I have done 2 units, the best using a piece of flat SS plate, with a copper
          coupler silver-soldered to it...clamps brazed to the keg with a silicon
          gasket, made from hi temp pure silicon, from the auto shop....maxtonnage

          At 11:20 PM 2/27/05 -0500, you wrote:

          >Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete column stability using
          >just the bowl, or do you use some additional support? The bowl that I have
          >is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't imagine everyone is buying
          >$30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in the bottom.
          >
          >I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else I'll
          >grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.
          >
          >Thanks.
          >
          >--
          >Brendan Keith

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Glenn
          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
            Brendan,
            I had the same concern with my salad bowl setup. Something I considered but never tried was guy wires - 3 spaced 120° around the boiler, use 1/8" wire with cable clamps to attach to boiler rim (in my case a keg), attach other end to pipe straps soldered about 2/3 of the way up the column. Use a turnbuckle on one cable to adjust tension.
            Just a thought and quite a bit of trouble - like I say never tried it (probably cause it was quite a bit of trouble)
            Glenn

            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
              I ended up making a couple of struts from angle aluminum stock and clamping
              them to the column. They brace themselves on the top of the keg.

              http://www.typicalcrap.com/distilling/jstill/

              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...

              I had the same concern with my salad bowl setup. Something I considered
              but never tried was guy wires - 3 spaced 120° around the boiler, use 1/8"
              wire with cable clamps to attach to boiler rim (in my case a keg), attach
              other end to pipe straps soldered about 2/3 of the way up the column. Use a
              turnbuckle on one cable to adjust tension.
              Just a thought and quite a bit of trouble - like I say never tried it
              (probably cause it was quite a bit of trouble)
              Glenn

              I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else
              I'll
              grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.

              Thanks.

              --
              Brendan Keith

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • Thomas Kehrlein
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                Went to the site, thinking, great an easy way to finish my still!. Then
                I went out to the garage and measured the 2'' copper pipe for my column
                2.125" Damn!! Glad I didn't order the flange.
                Thomas

                Jim Creighton wrote:

                >Check out http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1487 part number 2113T51 for a:
                >Polished Brass Slip-On Structural Rail Fitting for 2" pipe.
                >

                >>Thanks for the tip. Your picture was stripped out, but in what industry is
                >>this flange used?
                >>Plumbing, automotive, architecture?
                >>

                >Thanks
                >
                >--
                >Brendan Keith
                >bkeith@...

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Thomas Kehrlein
                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                  Thomas Kehrlein wrote:

                  >Went to the site, thinking, great an easy way to finish my still!. Then
                  >I went out to the garage and measured the 2'' copper pipe for my column
                  >2.125" Damn!! Glad I didn't order the flange.
                  >Thomas

                  So, going back to the site to look for a flange that would fit my 1/8
                  inch over pipe I noticed the box explaining pipe sizes are nominally a
                  certain size and that unthreaded 2" pipe would measure larger than 2" !
                  So, maybe I will order the flange after all!!
                  Thomas
                  p.s. I found a local recycling center that had a nice selection of beer
                  kegs @ $10 each - closing in on a finished still
                • Brendan Keith
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                    Yes, some of the instructions say to create an interior sleeve from a 4" or
                    so section of your 2" pipe, slit it lengthwise and compress it to fit.
                    Solder the seam if you wish and solder/braze in place. Your main column can
                    fit over this sleeve. Next time, I'll go that way. You might want to
                    consider it.

                    --
                    Brendan Keith
                    bkeith@...

                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                      Thanks, that sounds like it would be a good work around.
                      Thomas

                      Brendan Keith wrote:

                      >Yes, some of the instructions say to create an interior sleeve from a 4" or
                      >so section of your 2" pipe, slit it lengthwise and compress it to fit.
                      >Solder the seam if you wish and solder/braze in place. Your main column can
                      >fit over this sleeve. Next time, I'll go that way. You might want to
                      >consider it.
                      >
                      >--
                      >Brendan Keith
                      >bkeith@...

                    • stevolate
                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                        > Yes, some of the instructions say to create an interior sleeve from
                        a 4" or
                        > so section of your 2" pipe, slit it lengthwise and compress it to fit.
                        > Solder the seam if you wish and solder/braze in place. Your main
                        column can
                        > fit over this sleeve.

                        The trouble with that is the condensate runs down inside of your
                        column and outside of sleeve and all over top of boiler.
                        I use a machined piece of "hollow bar" 6 mill wall thickness SS which
                        I machine to have column to slip inside. This I machine 2 o-ring
                        groves in. With o-rings fitted perfect seal no leaks. Also great
                        support for column.
                        Will post photos if want.

                        Happy drinking

                        Stevo
                      • Brendan Keith
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                          Sure, post photos. We don't all have access to milling machines and such,
                          but I'm up for a challenge with basic tools.

                          --
                          Brendan Keith
                          bkeith@...

                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                            Of course, soldering the main column to the insert would prevent any leaks.

                            --
                            Brendan Keith
                            bkeith@...

                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@s...>
                              wrote:
                              > Of course, soldering the main column to the insert would prevent any
                              leaks.

                              That is correct but why the insert?
                              The reason I use the machined section is for different sized columns.
                              I built adaptors to suit different sized columns including glass.
                              Posted pics in album Stevo

                              Happy drinking

                              Stevo
                            • Brendan Keith
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                An insert is the poor man's (no welder, no mill, no metal lathe, no skills
                                with same) solution to fitting a single, non swappable 2" ID pipe to a 2" ID
                                flange.

                                On another note, can you show us a picture of the keg that that lid fits on,
                                and how?

                                Thanks.

                                --
                                Brendan Keith
                                bkeith@...

                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                  > On another note, can you show us a picture of the keg that that lid
                                  fits on,
                                  > and how?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Brendan Keith

                                  Just posted pics of boiler. In album Stevo.
                                  Electric element goes in large socket.
                                  Other side boiler is drain.
                                  There is large o-ring under lid.
                                  The SS Ring goes over lid & pot the tapered arms compress the o-ring
                                  when bolt is tightened.

                                  Hope this helps

                                  Stevo
                                • Brendan Keith
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                    Very nice work. I'd like to start some more serious fabrication, at some
                                    point.

                                    I didn't realize it was a pot. I thought it was going to be a keg.

                                    --
                                    Brendan Keith
                                    bkeith@...

                                    > On another note, can you show us a picture of the keg that that lid
                                    fits on,
                                    > and how?
                                    >
                                    > Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Brendan Keith

                                    Just posted pics of boiler. In album Stevo.
                                    Electric element goes in large socket.
                                    Other side boiler is drain.
                                    There is large o-ring under lid.
                                    The SS Ring goes over lid & pot the tapered arms compress the o-ring
                                    when bolt is tightened.

                                    Hope this helps

                                    Stevo

                                  • Lawrence Elliott
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 4, 2005
                                      I bought a 2" coupling at the plumbing store($3.50) took it to a local muffler shop(Meineke). They had 2" and 2 1/4" I.D. flanges($3.50ea.) I got a 2 1/4 and asked them if they could use their tubing spreader and flair one end of the coupling for me.He put one end of the coupling inside of the flange and spread it right out to fit it and didn't charge me anything because it only took a second to do, then all you have to do is just solder it in. The other end is still 2" so the column still slides right in. You just have to make sure they are careful when they spread it because the copper is so much softer than tailpipe tubing and spreads alot easier and faster. Works great.
                                      Lmemarine