Used wash Or (spent mash)

  • harle61274@aol.com
    Message 1 of 30 , Feb 27, 2005
      ok I have a question, theres been some talk about using some of the
      wash again (dumping into the mash drum you make it in with the
      leftofer grain). Now my question is I guess you could say 2 part. IF
      the tails have some alcohol in it and a person just stops when he
      starts to get to the tails and was to put it back (holds 20 gal.
      wash) in the wash bucket whith more sugar would it work? I have put 5
      gallons back with the used grain, added the same amount sugar and
      filled it back to the water line and it seemed to work fine. Can I
      put to much? Or what would happen if a person put it all back?
      Mabey Im thinking rong here, If I need it please give me the kik in
      the back side and tell me not to try to reinvent the wheel.
      oh please excuse my spelling and punchuation IM trying hard hehehe
      harle
    • jkirby007@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Feb 27, 2005
        you can use all of the backset as its called to re ferment and top off w an
        amount of water to fill back to original level as long as the back set is
        cooled to below 100 deg f
        jesse

        Message 3 of 30 , Feb 27, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, harle61274@a... wrote:

          > ok I have a question, theres been some talk about using some of
          the
          > wash again (dumping into the mash drum you make it in with the
          > leftofer grain). Now my question is I guess you could say 2 part.
          IF
          > the tails have some alcohol in it and a person just stops when he
          > starts to get to the tails and was to put it back (holds 20 gal.
          > wash) in the wash bucket whith more sugar would it work? I have
          put 5
          > gallons back with the used grain, added the same amount sugar and
          > filled it back to the water line and it seemed to work fine. Can I
          > put to much? Or what would happen if a person put it all back?
          > Mabey Im thinking rong here, If I need it please give me the kik
          in
          > the back side and tell me not to try to reinvent the wheel.
          > oh please excuse my spelling and punchuation IM trying hard
          hehehe
          > harle

          Harle, I see what you're trying to say. You need to get your head
          around a couple of concepts. Assuming you're doing pot stilling
          without thumpers, you'll be doing TWO runs. Slops from the first
          run should NOT have any alcohol in them. First run is a strip run
          and is run out to 98°C or higher. These slops you can re-use at
          about max 25% of your new wort liquid. The hot water slops will
          dissolve sugars, but cool it off before you add it to the spent
          grains of your sourmash, otherwise you'll kill the yeasts in the
          mash and have to add fresh yeast.

          The 'tails' are the higher alcohols , fusels etc. after the hearts
          of the SECOND run. Run these out to about 96°C to reduce nasties
          and water, then add them back to the next SECOND distillation.

          If you're using thumpers it's a different ballgame. Thumpers are
          used in a quasi-continuous setup, and the slops of the thumpers and
          still are usually thrown away or used as animal food.

        • Brendan Keith
          Message 4 of 30 , Feb 27, 2005
            Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete column stability using
            just the bowl, or do you use some additional support? The bowl that I have
            is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't imagine everyone is buying
            $30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in the bottom.

            I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else I'll
            grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.

            Thanks.

            --
            Brendan Keith

            Message 5 of 30 , Feb 27, 2005
              30 dollars shoot flea markets have em fer 1.00
              if id a paid 30 dollars id have killed my self the next day
              jesse
              er maybe that nite

            • Lawrence Elliott
              Message 6 of 30 , Feb 27, 2005
                I bought a 8" stainless frying pan from K-Mart (about $12.00 ) they are thicker also a stainless one with a copper bottom would work good to. I also cut a piece of stainless plate (1/8") the shape of my flange and put it on the inside for extra support but this is not really necessary due to the thickness of the pan.
                LME

                Brendan Keith <bkeith@...> wrote:
                Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete column stability using
                just the bowl, or do you use some additional support? The bowl that I have
                is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't imagine everyone is buying
                $30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in the bottom.

                I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else I'll
                grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.

                Thanks.

                --
                Brendan Keith

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • Brendan Keith
                Message 7 of 30 , Feb 27, 2005
                  Of course, that's all I paid. But there are better ones. I just don't
                  believe anyone would use them.

                  --
                  Brendan Keith
                  bkeith@...

                  Message 8 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
                    Thank you so you saying I can keep using it over and over again wow to thin
                    k how much Ive thrown out ehehe

                    harle

                  • harle61274@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
                      In a message dated 2/27/2005 6:17:56 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                      gnikomson2000@... writes:

[...]

                      Thank you slainte I'm using a reflux column with 3 inch pipe from Brewhaus .
                      Gave up the pot with a thumper. Will, that make a difference on it being a
                      reflux?
                      harle

                    • Brandon Lee
                      Message 10 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
                        they make a brass flange which is quite stable--not so
                        unsightly looking as the bowl which adds height to
                        your column--extremely stable and already machined to
                        accept all sizes of copper pipe--it is called a floor
                        flange-comes with 4 pre-drilled holes--and looks
                        professional--it does not have to be soldered--your
                        pipe slips snuggly into the top and it also has a
                        machined lip for a stop at the bottom preventing steam
                        from shooting out of the side--not expensive--i paid
                        $18 for a 2" and $25US for a 2.5--photo provided
                        Blueflame456
                        --- Brendan Keith <bkeith@...> wrote:

                        > Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete
                        > column stability using
                        > just the bowl, or do you use some additional
                        > support? The bowl that I have
                        > is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't
                        > imagine everyone is buying
                        > $30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in
                        > the bottom.
                        >
                        > I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have
                        > been devised, or else I'll
                        > grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap
                        > something together.
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Brendan Keith

                        > removed]

                      • Brendan Keith
                        Message 11 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
                          Thanks for the tip. Your picture was stripped out, but in what industry is
                          this flange used?
                          Plumbing, automotive, architecture?

                          Thanks

                          --
                          Brendan Keith
                          bkeith@...

                          Message 12 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
                            i got the flange at the local plumbing supply
                            house--it is machined strictly for copper pipe
                            --- Brendan Keith <bkeith@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks for the tip. Your picture was stripped out,
                            > but in what industry is
                            > this flange used?
                            > Plumbing, automotive, architecture?
                            >
                            > Thanks
                            >
                            > --
                            > Brendan Keith
                            > bkeith@...

                            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
                          • Jim Creighton
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
                              Check out http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1487 part number 2113T51 for a:
                              Polished Brass Slip-On Structural Rail Fitting for 2" pipe.

                              >Thanks for the tip. Your picture was stripped out, but in what industry is
                              >this flange used?
                              >Plumbing, automotive, architecture?

                              Thanks

                              --
                              Brendan Keith
                              bkeith@...
                            • David W Lunsford
                              Message 14 of 30 , Feb 28, 2005
                                I have done 2 units, the best using a piece of flat SS plate, with a copper
                                coupler silver-soldered to it...clamps brazed to the keg with a silicon
                                gasket, made from hi temp pure silicon, from the auto shop....maxtonnage

                                At 11:20 PM 2/27/05 -0500, you wrote:

                                >Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete column stability using
                                >just the bowl, or do you use some additional support? The bowl that I have
                                >is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't imagine everyone is buying
                                >$30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in the bottom.
                                >
                                >I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else I'll
                                >grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.
                                >
                                >Thanks.
                                >
                                >--
                                >Brendan Keith

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Brendan Keith
                                Message 15 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
                                  Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll use them on the Mark II model.
                                  This first unit is for a friend and needs to be delivered for the weekend.
                                  I picked up some angle iron that I'll fab into some kind of support.

                                  --
                                  Brendan Keith
                                  bkeith@...

                                  I have done 2 units, the best using a piece of flat SS plate, with a
                                  copper
                                  coupler silver-soldered to it...clamps brazed to the keg with a silicon
                                  gasket, made from hi temp pure silicon, from the auto shop....maxtonnage

                                  At 11:20 PM 2/27/05 -0500, you wrote:

                                  >Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete column stability
                                  using
                                  >just the bowl, or do you use some additional support? The bowl that I
                                  have
                                  >is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't imagine everyone is
                                  buying
                                  >$30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in the bottom.
                                  >
                                  >I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else
                                  I'll
                                  >grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.
                                  >
                                  >Thanks.
                                  >
                                  >--
                                  >Brendan Keith

                                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                • Roderick Holmes
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
                                    For additional support, I put an eye bolt into one of the studs in the ceiling. I then use a nylon cord and tie it to my offset. This also keeps the dog from knocking over my boiler since it has a small base.

                                    David W Lunsford <maxtonnage@...> wrote:I have done 2 units, the best using a piece of flat SS plate, with a copper
                                    coupler silver-soldered to it...clamps brazed to the keg with a silicon
                                    gasket, made from hi temp pure silicon, from the auto shop....maxtonnage

                                    At 11:20 PM 2/27/05 -0500, you wrote:

                                    >Do all of you keg-and-salad-bowl users have complete column stability using
                                    >just the bowl, or do you use some additional support? The bowl that I have
                                    >is evidently too flimsy for the job, but I don't imagine everyone is buying
                                    >$30 stainless mixing bowls, just to cut a hole in the bottom.
                                    >
                                    >I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else I'll
                                    >grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.
                                    >
                                    >Thanks.
                                    >
                                    >--
                                    >Brendan Keith

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                                  • Glenn
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
                                      Brendan,
                                      I had the same concern with my salad bowl setup. Something I considered but never tried was guy wires - 3 spaced 120° around the boiler, use 1/8" wire with cable clamps to attach to boiler rim (in my case a keg), attach other end to pipe straps soldered about 2/3 of the way up the column. Use a turnbuckle on one cable to adjust tension.
                                      Just a thought and quite a bit of trouble - like I say never tried it (probably cause it was quite a bit of trouble)
                                      Glenn

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Mar 1, 2005
                                        I ended up making a couple of struts from angle aluminum stock and clamping
                                        them to the column. They brace themselves on the top of the keg.

                                        http://www.typicalcrap.com/distilling/jstill/

                                        --
                                        Brendan Keith
                                        bkeith@...

                                        I had the same concern with my salad bowl setup. Something I considered
                                        but never tried was guy wires - 3 spaced 120° around the boiler, use 1/8"
                                        wire with cable clamps to attach to boiler rim (in my case a keg), attach
                                        other end to pipe straps soldered about 2/3 of the way up the column. Use a
                                        turnbuckle on one cable to adjust tension.
                                        Just a thought and quite a bit of trouble - like I say never tried it
                                        (probably cause it was quite a bit of trouble)
                                        Glenn

                                        I'm looking for any ingenious solutions that have been devised, or else
                                        I'll
                                        grab some angle iron and straps and such and slap something together.

                                        Thanks.

                                        --
                                        Brendan Keith

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        Service.

                                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      • Thomas Kehrlein
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                          Went to the site, thinking, great an easy way to finish my still!. Then
                                          I went out to the garage and measured the 2'' copper pipe for my column
                                          2.125" Damn!! Glad I didn't order the flange.
                                          Thomas

                                          Jim Creighton wrote:

                                          >Check out http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1487 part number 2113T51 for a:
                                          >Polished Brass Slip-On Structural Rail Fitting for 2" pipe.
                                          >

                                          >>Thanks for the tip. Your picture was stripped out, but in what industry is
                                          >>this flange used?
                                          >>Plumbing, automotive, architecture?
                                          >>

                                          >Thanks
                                          >
                                          >--
                                          >Brendan Keith
                                          >bkeith@...

                                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        • Thomas Kehrlein
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                            Thomas Kehrlein wrote:

                                            >Went to the site, thinking, great an easy way to finish my still!. Then
                                            >I went out to the garage and measured the 2'' copper pipe for my column
                                            >2.125" Damn!! Glad I didn't order the flange.
                                            >Thomas

                                            So, going back to the site to look for a flange that would fit my 1/8
                                            inch over pipe I noticed the box explaining pipe sizes are nominally a
                                            certain size and that unthreaded 2" pipe would measure larger than 2" !
                                            So, maybe I will order the flange after all!!
                                            Thomas
                                            p.s. I found a local recycling center that had a nice selection of beer
                                            kegs @ $10 each - closing in on a finished still
                                          • Brendan Keith
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                              Yes, some of the instructions say to create an interior sleeve from a 4" or
                                              so section of your 2" pipe, slit it lengthwise and compress it to fit.
                                              Solder the seam if you wish and solder/braze in place. Your main column can
                                              fit over this sleeve. Next time, I'll go that way. You might want to
                                              consider it.

                                              --
                                              Brendan Keith
                                              bkeith@...

                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                                Thanks, that sounds like it would be a good work around.
                                                Thomas

                                                Brendan Keith wrote:

                                                >Yes, some of the instructions say to create an interior sleeve from a 4" or
                                                >so section of your 2" pipe, slit it lengthwise and compress it to fit.
                                                >Solder the seam if you wish and solder/braze in place. Your main column can
                                                >fit over this sleeve. Next time, I'll go that way. You might want to
                                                >consider it.
                                                >
                                                >--
                                                >Brendan Keith
                                                >bkeith@...

                                              • stevolate
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                                  > Yes, some of the instructions say to create an interior sleeve from
                                                  a 4" or
                                                  > so section of your 2" pipe, slit it lengthwise and compress it to fit.
                                                  > Solder the seam if you wish and solder/braze in place. Your main
                                                  column can
                                                  > fit over this sleeve.

                                                  The trouble with that is the condensate runs down inside of your
                                                  column and outside of sleeve and all over top of boiler.
                                                  I use a machined piece of "hollow bar" 6 mill wall thickness SS which
                                                  I machine to have column to slip inside. This I machine 2 o-ring
                                                  groves in. With o-rings fitted perfect seal no leaks. Also great
                                                  support for column.
                                                  Will post photos if want.

                                                  Happy drinking

                                                  Stevo
                                                • Brendan Keith
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                                    Sure, post photos. We don't all have access to milling machines and such,
                                                    but I'm up for a challenge with basic tools.

                                                    --
                                                    Brendan Keith
                                                    bkeith@...

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                                      Of course, soldering the main column to the insert would prevent any leaks.

                                                      --
                                                      Brendan Keith
                                                      bkeith@...

                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                                        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brendan Keith" <bkeith@s...>
                                                        wrote:
                                                        > Of course, soldering the main column to the insert would prevent any
                                                        leaks.

                                                        That is correct but why the insert?
                                                        The reason I use the machined section is for different sized columns.
                                                        I built adaptors to suit different sized columns including glass.
                                                        Posted pics in album Stevo

                                                        Happy drinking

                                                        Stevo
                                                      • Brendan Keith
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                                          An insert is the poor man's (no welder, no mill, no metal lathe, no skills
                                                          with same) solution to fitting a single, non swappable 2" ID pipe to a 2" ID
                                                          flange.

                                                          On another note, can you show us a picture of the keg that that lid fits on,
                                                          and how?

                                                          Thanks.

                                                          --
                                                          Brendan Keith
                                                          bkeith@...

                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                                            > On another note, can you show us a picture of the keg that that lid
                                                            fits on,
                                                            > and how?
                                                            >
                                                            > Thanks.
                                                            >
                                                            > --
                                                            > Brendan Keith

                                                            Just posted pics of boiler. In album Stevo.
                                                            Electric element goes in large socket.
                                                            Other side boiler is drain.
                                                            There is large o-ring under lid.
                                                            The SS Ring goes over lid & pot the tapered arms compress the o-ring
                                                            when bolt is tightened.

                                                            Hope this helps

                                                            Stevo
                                                          • Brendan Keith
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Mar 3, 2005
                                                              Very nice work. I'd like to start some more serious fabrication, at some
                                                              point.

                                                              I didn't realize it was a pot. I thought it was going to be a keg.

                                                              --
                                                              Brendan Keith
                                                              bkeith@...

                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Mar 4, 2005
                                                                I bought a 2" coupling at the plumbing store($3.50) took it to a local muffler shop(Meineke). They had 2" and 2 1/4" I.D. flanges($3.50ea.) I got a 2 1/4 and asked them if they could use their tubing spreader and flair one end of the coupling for me.He put one end of the coupling inside of the flange and spread it right out to fit it and didn't charge me anything because it only took a second to do, then all you have to do is just solder it in. The other end is still 2" so the column still slides right in. You just have to make sure they are careful when they spread it because the copper is so much softer than tailpipe tubing and spreads alot easier and faster. Works great.
                                                                Lmemarine