Re: coffee pot: cleaning the aluminum, and adding a potentiometer to the element

  • mickm2au
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Henry Stamp <henrystamp@g...>
      wrote:
      > hi everyone, i've just bought a 6 gallon aluminum coffee pot with
      a 1500
      > watt element in the base that i want to modify to replace my
      pressure
      > cooker for my home pot still. i need a couple pieces of advice:
      >
      > 1) whats the best cleaning agent for the aluminum pot? vinegar?
      it
      > needs a good scrubbing to get rid of the mildew smell and the
      coffee
      > residue.
      >
      > 2) any suggestions on what size potentiometer i'd need to get to
      get
      > some fine control over the 1500 watt element? i'm in the states,
      so it
      > 115 volts. i can probably ask at the electronic parts store down
      the
      > street, but i figured one of you guys had probably done this
      already.

      > thanks.
      >
      > --
      > --henry

      Henry....

      A Potentiometer big enough to control 1500 watts is just not
      available or practical. You need to buy a suitable electronic Power
      Controller or a Variable Transformer with a rating of 15 amps. The
      electronic controller would be much cheaper unless you can find a
      second hand variable transformer in a junk store.

      Cheers,

      Mickm