Evaporation Temp, Table

  • slipslider2
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 25 8:16 PM
      Does anyone know where to find a table showing the evaporation
      temperatures, listed progressively, for the substances boiled off in
      the heads and tails of a typical sugar wash?
    • Snowblind Moose
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 25 10:31 PM
        Hi Slipslider,

        Is this what you're looking for? - It's from homedistiller.org:

        The alcohols in the wash begin to vapourise from the wash around
        specific temperatures. If by themselves they would be ...

        Acetone 56.5C (134F)
        Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
        Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
        Ethanol 78C (172F)
        2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
        1-Propanol 97C (207F)
        Water 100C (212F)
        Butanol 116C (241F)
        Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
        Furfural 161C (322F)

        Once together, a mixture of several of them will be slightly
        different however. You no longer get them coming off seperately, but
        always as a mixture. Fortunately for us though, each of the species
        will tend to dominate around its boiling point temperature, thus we
        know whats "mostly" coming off at that point. By tracking the
        temperature of the vapour, you have a fairly good idea when you're
        collecting the Ethanol your after (78-82 °C), vs when it is starting
        to get lean and you're into the higher alcohols.

        -Tony

        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "slipslider2"

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2005
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Snowblind Moose"
          <tonkay1@y...> wrote:

          > Hi Slipslider,
          >
          > Is this what you're looking for? - It's from homedistiller.org:
          >

          > The alcohols in the wash begin to vapourise from the wash around
          > specific temperatures. If by themselves they would be ...
          >
          > Acetone 56.5C (134F)
          > Methanol (wood alcohol) 64C (147F)
          > Ethyl acetate 77.1C (171F)
          > Ethanol 78C (172F)
          > 2-Propanol (rubbing alcohol) 82C (180F)
          > 1-Propanol 97C (207F)
          > Water 100C (212F)
          > Butanol 116C (241F)
          > Amyl alcohol 137.8C (280F)
          > Furfural 161C (322F)
          >
          > Once together, a mixture of several of them will be slightly
          > different however. You no longer get them coming off seperately,
          but
          > always as a mixture. Fortunately for us though, each of the species
          > will tend to dominate around its boiling point temperature, thus we
          > know whats "mostly" coming off at that point. By tracking the
          > temperature of the vapour, you have a fairly good idea when you're
          > collecting the Ethanol your after (78-82 °C), vs when it is
          starting
          > to get lean and you're into the higher alcohols.
          >
          > -Tony

          THANKS Tony ... this is exactly what I was looking for.
          Cheers,
          Slip