Heads and Tails...

  • tj_333
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 24, 2005
      So I'm staring at a wine bottle full of heads and tails and I'm
      wondering if I dare run it through again...seemse like an awful lot
      of booze to waste. Anyone redistill heads and tails?
    • Roderick Holmes
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 24, 2005
        Almost everyone recycles heads and tails. There is a lot of good ethanol in there! Even the commercial booze companies recycle and to a greater degree then we do. Just add it to the boiler with your next wash. In fact, I separate my collections 500 ml at a time so I can separate the tails and the heads. Anything that does not taste right gets recycled.

        Roderick

        tj_333 <tj_333@...> wrote:

        So I'm staring at a wine bottle full of heads and tails and I'm
        wondering if I dare run it through again...seemse like an awful lot
        of booze to waste. Anyone redistill heads and tails?

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Levi Langershank
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 25, 2005
          If you performed your 'cuts' correctly the first time,what you have is just
          that..."a wine bottle full of heads and tails "......you may get a few oz of
          ethanol out of it but,is it worth the effort?....I use the 'heads' to kill
          fireants and dont even bother to collect 'tails'...admittedly,I probably
          throw away distillate that many others would keep....I make only sugar-turbo
          washs and distill to 95-96%.....JMPO as always...good luck...:>)
          Levi

          (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

          >Subject: [new_distillers] Heads and Tails...
          >So I'm staring at a wine bottle full of heads and tails...... Anyone
          >redistill heads and tails?

        • KJH
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 25, 2005
            I agree with you Levi, tried heaps too ! I reckon its a good sound and
            proved method............Ken.

            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 25, 2005
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KJH" <merlingraphics@b...>
              wrote:
              > I agree with you Levi, tried heaps too ! I reckon its a good sound
              and
              > proved method............Ken.

              what you have is
              > > just
              > > that..."a wine bottle full of heads and tails

              It's actually a bottle full of potential flavour compounds.
              Depending on what you're using as a sugar substrate, and what you're
              trying to produce, you can add it in to the next run, or not. This
              is how distinctive rum and whisky flavours are concentrated and
              carried over to the next run.

              But it's not much use if you're just using table sugar and making
              vodka. Table sugar produces funky flavours, so you wouldn't want to
              concentrate those in the next batch.

            • Levi Langershank
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 26, 2005
                ...as I recall,the original post didnt ask about adding the heads and tails
                to another batch...the question,as I read it,was about placing a 'wine
                bottle ' amount of heads and tails in his still and 'running' it again...I
                answered the question 'as asked'...you seem to have 'modified' the question
                to fit your answer...:>)....JMPO,as always....

                Levi

                (THIS REPLY HAS BEEN OFFICIALLY EDITED)

                >From: "Harry" <gnikomson2000@...>
                : [new_distillers] Re: Heads and Tails...

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 26, 2005
                  --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank"
                  <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                  > ...as I recall,the original post didnt ask about adding the heads
                  and tails
                  > to another batch...the question,as I read it,was about placing
                  a 'wine
                  > bottle ' amount of heads and tails in his still and 'running' it
                  again...I
                  > answered the question 'as asked'...you seem to have 'modified'
                  the question
                  > to fit your answer...:>)....JMPO,as always....

                  Levi, you're nitpicking.
                  In the original question, he was (quote) "wondering if I dare run it
                  through again" (unquote).

                  The actual question asked was (quote) "Anyone redistill heads and
                  tails?" (unquote).

                  You gave a scenario about using it for fire ants. I gave a scenario
                  about redistilling it in further batches as flavour enhancement.

                  If that's 'modifying the question' we're both guilty. You appear to
                  feel slighted by my giving an alternative usage. If you've got a
                  beef with me take it to email.

                • Rich
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 26, 2005
                    I've made 6 runs in my Brewhaus Pro 2 still and with 8 kilo of sugar
                    wash and turbo 48. Every run so far I collect 100 mls heads and 4
                    liters of 93 to 94% at 78.4c and then about 1/2 liter to 80c and
                    quit because of diminished return. I put that into my next run. I
                    thought I was doing it right.
                    Please comment?
                    Rich
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 26, 2005
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rich"
                      <richardoneil2001@y...> wrote:

                      > I've made 6 runs in my Brewhaus Pro 2 still and with 8 kilo of
                      sugar
                      > wash and turbo 48. Every run so far I collect 100 mls heads and 4
                      > liters of 93 to 94% at 78.4c and then about 1/2 liter to 80c and
                      > quit because of diminished return. I put that into my next run. I
                      > thought I was doing it right.
                      > Please comment?
                      > Rich

                      Nothing wrong with that. The only proviso I see is that tails from
                      table sugar runs 'may' sometimes (not always) produce funky
                      flavours, which may be concentrated in the next run. But hey, if
                      it's working for you and you are satisfied with your product, then
                      that's what matters, not someone else's opinion. This hobby is
                      about you and your tastes.

                    • Levi Langershank
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                        Here is the complete post Harry....

                        ..."So I'm staring at a wine bottle full of heads and tails and I'm
                        wondering if I dare run it through again...seemse like an awful lot
                        of booze to waste. Anyone redistill heads and tails?..

                        ...looks like this gentleman is asking about..."a wine bottle full of heads
                        and tails and I'm
                        wondering if I dare run it through again."...from that,I understand he is
                        conteplating running a "wine bottle full of heads and tails" through his
                        still again.......I understood the ? to be asking,'do I re-distill a "wine
                        bottle full of heads and tails"..(1L..?).....not worth the effort ,in MY
                        opinion...read the original post several times if necessary....maybe I am
                        wrong...maybe YOU are too...being a moderator dosnt make you GOD....YOU are
                        capable of mistakes....GOD knows I have made my share of them...."?)
                        Just say 'the word' and I will leave your forum...anywhere I cant disagree
                        with an opinion,I dont want to remain....

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                          <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                          > Here is the complete post Harry....
                          >
                          > ..."So I'm staring at a wine bottle full of heads and tails and I'm
                          > wondering if I dare run it through again...seemse like an awful lot
                          > of booze to waste. Anyone redistill heads and tails?..
                          >
                          > ...looks like this gentleman is asking about..."a wine bottle full
                          of heads
                          > and tails and I'm
                          > wondering if I dare run it through again."...from that,I
                          understand he is
                          > conteplating running a "wine bottle full of heads and tails"
                          through his
                          > still again.......I understood the ? to be asking,'do I re-distill
                          a "wine
                          > bottle full of heads and tails"..(1L..?).....not worth the
                          effort ,in MY
                          > opinion...read the original post several times if
                          necessary....maybe I am
                          > wrong...maybe YOU are too...being a moderator dosnt make you
                          GOD....YOU are
                          > capable of mistakes....GOD knows I have made my share of
                          them...."?)
                          > Just say 'the word' and I will leave your forum...anywhere I cant
                          disagree
                          > with an opinion,I dont want to remain....

                          Hmmm........may I borrow a phrase you yourself have used in
                          cheerios?

                          (definitely too much testosterone in the air)

                          Slainte!
                          regards GOD
                        • Mike Nixon
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 1, 2005
                            <unit_77@h...> wrote:
                            > Here is the complete post Harry....
                            >
                            > ..."So I'm staring at a wine bottle full of heads and tails and I'm
                            > wondering if I dare run it through again...seemse like an awful lot
                            > of booze to waste. Anyone redistill heads and tails?..
                            >
                            > ...looks like this gentleman is asking about..."a wine bottle full
                            of heads
                            > and tails and I'm
                            > wondering if I dare run it through again."...from that,I
                            understand he is
                            > conteplating running a "wine bottle full of heads and tails"
                            through his
                            > still again.......I understood the ? to be asking,'do I re-distill
                            a "wine
                            > bottle full of heads and tails"..(1L..?).....not worth the
                            effort ,in MY
                            > opinion...read the original post several times if
                            necessary....maybe I am
                            > wrong...maybe YOU are too...being a moderator dosnt make you
                            GOD....YOU are
                            > capable of mistakes....GOD knows I have made my share of
                            them...."?)
                            > Just say 'the word' and I will leave your forum...anywhere I cant
                            disagree
                            > with an opinion,I dont want to remain....

                            Hmmm........may I borrow a phrase you yourself have used in
                            cheerios?

                            (definitely too much testosterone in the air)

                            Slainte!
                            regards GOD
                            ================
                            Good on ya God ... even though I will not be living in your neighbourhood
                            after my Wake.
                            Hey Levi ... loosen up Mate! Not like you at all.
                          • David W Lunsford
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 3, 2005
                              I agree with Mike...maxtonnage

                              At 05:43 AM 3/2/05 -0000, you wrote:

                              >--- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Levi Langershank"
                              ><unit_77@h...> wrote:
                              >> Here is the complete post Harry....
                              >>
                              >(BIG SNIP)
                              >

                              >Hmmm........may I borrow a phrase you yourself have used in
                              >cheerios?
                              >
                              >(definitely too much testosterone in the air)
                              >
                              >Slainte!
                              >regards GOD

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Mark
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 5, 2005
                                "... is this the room for an argument? ...."

                                (apologies to Monty Python)

                                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, David W Lunsford