Corn Syrup

  • Great White North
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 16 3:54 PM
      Greetings Everyone!!

      Man, I have not had a Latin lesson for over 30 years...
      Alter boy in the church... <shudder> ... that brings back scary memories...

      Guess that's why I am into brewing these days. :)

      Anyway, on to my question.

      I was looking at some canned fruit in the local Sam's Club store and found
      some good buys. They contain no preservatives. At least none listed on the
      label. What they do contain is 'Corn Syrup'.

      So, can I ferment corn syrup?? Or does it require some processing before
      hand??

      Thanks for all your thoughts!!
      Best wishes to Suit!! Good to hear you are back home!!

      GWN
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 16 7:07 PM
        snip snip

        Man, I have not had a Latin lesson for over 30 years...
        > Alter boy in the church... <shudder>
        >
        > I was looking at some canned fruit in the local Sam's Club store
        and found
        > some good buys. They contain no preservatives. At least none
        listed on the
        > label. What they do contain is 'Corn Syrup'.
        >
        > So, can I ferment corn syrup?? Or does it require some processing
        before
        > hand??

        > GWN

        I have fermented corn syrup with bakers yeast - but I did mix with
        water and some tomato paste (1 6oz can per 6gallons). And I boil
        all liquids. I also pH adjusted to 5.6 with "acid blend" from the
        homebrewers hobby shop. It fermented slowly, but completely
        according to specific gravities. ISG = 1.085, FSG was below .990

        One distillation, very slow with a lot of reflux - notes say
        250ml/hr draw. I kept the middle 65% based on taste and smell.
        Good hootch, actually, but my source of corn syrup dried up.

        You plan on fermenting the fruit with the corn syrup? or eating the
        fruit and using the remaining corn syrup to make hootch? If the
        latter, you may have to add white sugar (or corn sugar) to get the
        Initial Specific Gravity up to something worthwhile - depending on
        how much water is also in the can.

        Search the group archives (and the distillers group too) for corn
        syrup. There are a couple of posts about corn syrup in 2004.

        Mark
      • GWN
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 17 6:54 AM
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <highabv@y...> wrote:

          > snip snip
          >
          > Man, I have not had a Latin lesson for over 30 years...
          > > Alter boy in the church... <shudder>

          Snip Snip

          > You plan on fermenting the fruit with the corn syrup? or eating
          the
          > fruit and using the remaining corn syrup to make hootch?
          ----------------------------

          Thanks for the information. I was planning on adding the fruit to
          the mash. Gonna try to make some nice wine and or brandy. I have
          used canned fruit in the past and added additional sugar. Worked out
          really well. At least I have standing requests for more... :)
          The past batch had nothing but fruit and water listed on the lable.
          The new stuff I am looking at also contained the corn syrup.

          GWN
        • Henry Stamp
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 17 2:02 PM
            >I have fermented corn syrup with bakers yeast - but I did mix with
            >water and some tomato paste (1 6oz can per 6gallons). And I boil
            >all liquids. I also pH adjusted to 5.6 with "acid blend" from the
            >homebrewers hobby shop. It fermented slowly, but completely
            >according to specific gravities. ISG = 1.085, FSG was below .990

            i've seen this mentioned here before, but whats the tomatoe paste do?
            sounds bizarre ;)

            --
            --henry
          • Rana Pipiens

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 18 4:37 AM
                I'm trying this wash for the first time and I have a question I have 3
                gallons in one bucket with a aquarium thermometer and the other with out, one
                bucket it doing great no odors and the one without the thermometer has a kinda
                rotten egg smell. its in the 60 deg. area were there at is this odor right?
                harle

              • silverfox2293
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 26, 2014

                  Has any one used Corn Syrup in a mash?  I just found a big close out on Karo at the grocery.

                • John
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 26, 2014
                    Not routinely sold here but if its cheap, then why not ? Its certainly very fermentable as far as I'm aware........

                    Has any one used Corn Syrup in a mash?  I just found a big close out on Karo at the grocery.

                  • gerry ruiz
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 27, 2014
                      Yeah, only good can come from this! Karo is pure corn sugar derived from corn starch. that has to cook up into come sweet tasting, kick ass mash! Let us know!

                      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
                      From: fatbloke@...
                      Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 04:37:10 +0100
                      Subject: Re: [new_distillers] Corn Syrup

                      Not routinely sold here but if its cheap, then why not ? Its certainly very fermentable as far as I'm aware........

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 27, 2014
                        Karo corn syrup, I believe, has vanilla in it. May turn out some interesting flavors. As long as you know what you are working with.

                        Please note: message attached

                        From: gerry ruiz <dfboss1@...>
                        To: "new_distillers@yahoogroups.com" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
                        Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 23:55:29 +0000

                        Old School Yearbook Pics
                        View Class Yearbooks Online Free. Search by School & Year. Look Now!
                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3131/535db69316b3d36927875st02vuc
                      • John Pohl
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 28, 2014
                          I mashed last night with 10 cups of cooked rice, a cup of barley malt and 5 lb. white sugar. This morning it was very happy and bubbling.

                          From: fatbloke@...
                          Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 04:37:10 +0100

                          Not routinely sold here but if its cheap, then why not ? Its certainly very fermentable as far as I'm aware........

                          Has any one used Corn Syrup in a mash?  I just found a big close out on Karo at the grocery.

                        • Bob
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 28, 2014
                            I seem to remember that Karo has a preservative in it that inhibited my yeast growth. bob c

                            From: John Pohl

                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 28, 2014

                              24 Hours in and it is perking.
                            • silverfox2293