Finishing the spirit

  • David Ferguson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7 8:15 PM
      HI there

      I have used my Still Spirits Reflux still to distill 50L of wash. I have a bucket of the distiled spirit and I then tiped in two packets of the carbon stuff and left for 3 or 4 days.

      Now I am using the continus filter to filter it... But.. It is coming out slightly clowdy (white clowdy not black).

      This is my second batch. The first was perfect.

      Could the % have anything to do with it? My first batch was watered down to about 45% but this stuff is at about 53%

      Also the filter seems to drip faster this time than last?

      help!

      Thanks
      David
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 10 1:52 AM
        To David Ferg. The cloudy nature is usually due to the presence of
        proteins and
        unfermented sugar, which will foam in the still. More common with
        straight turbo
        than turbo extra.A capfull of distilling conditioner in the still will
        fix the problem.
        If its more like a cotteny filiment, then it is most likely due to high
        levels of calcium
        in the water.
        Your % for dripping are ok. The lower the % the more efficently the
        carbon will work.
        The drip rate is in part controlled by the amount of fine carbon that
        settles on the filter
        paper. I use small g clamps on hose on the outlet side of the filter to
        finely control
        the drip rate. I tried small plastic taps from micro irrigation systems,
        but the alcohol
        broke them down. The slower the drip rate, the better the alcohol. There
        is a
        dramatic improvement from one drip per second to one per 3. I use 1 per
        5.
        Hope this helps david. Have a look at
        http://www.stillspirits.com/freqaqs.htm