salt, sight tube, safety

  • Robert Thomas
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3 11:49 PM
      Hi all,
      three threads here:
      acetic acid + sodium chloride =
      hydrochloric acid + sodium acetate.
      There will be small amounts of hydrochloric acid in he
      mix to dissolve copper oxides. Hence the cleaning
      power.

      Second, my sight tube is right angle tube with
      compression fitting on one end and tank flange on the
      other. Flange thru boiler, sturdy glass tube thru
      compression fitting.

      Third, the explosion risk involved in boiling to
      "dryness" is as much caused by reaching the flash
      point of the flamable liquid as any other factor.
      Also, a gaseous mix of air and fuel, with no boiling
      liquid to keep the inside pressure higher than the
      outside is just asking for a flame to shoot down the
      column and hence ignite your own fuel-air weapon.

      I would ALWAYS want to know how much liquid is in my
      boiler, particularly a still where I'm boiling "fuel".

      Cheers, Rob.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail