Re: Whiskey Wash

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tj_333" <tj_333@y...> wrote:

      > So as my first stab at making a whiskey, I stole the malt extract
      > recipe from homedistiller.org (12 pounds pale malt extract).
      Ended
      > up with a starting gravity of 1.18 and pitched EC118 (what
      happened
      > to be on hand).
      >
      > I didn't bother with the calcs last night, but was running through
      it
      > today...looks like the EC118 is going to poop out on me at about
      16%
      > ABV and a gravity of about 1.07. Being the cheap person that I
      am,
      > I'm debating tossing in some higher alcohol tolerant yeast to try
      and
      > ferment it out to about 20% and to cut down on the residual
      > sweetness...any one have any thoughts on this?
      >
      > I've made mead like this with some great results - ferment with an
      > ale yeast and then add in champagne yeast after the ale yeast does
      > it's thing and it produces some wonderful complexity...I'm curious
      if
      > this will translate well into distilling?

      Well TJ,
      EC-1118 IS a champagne yeast. So you'll be hard pressed to find one
      that tolerates higher alcohol. When it stops, cut your losses and
      distill it. Next time use a little less sugar. More info on that
      yeast, just to whet your appetite... :-)

      Lalvin EC-1118 (saccharomyces bayanus)
      The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne
      fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment
      equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of
      the most widely used yeasts in the world.

      The fermentation characteristics of the EC-1118 - extremely low
      production of foam, volatile acid and H 2 S - make this strain an
      excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide
      temperature range, from 7° to 35°C (45° to 95°F) and demonstrates
      high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact
      lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also
      properties of the EC-1118.

      The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including
      sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to
      restart stuck fermentations.

      The same yeast strain is found in Red Star Premier Cuvee S. bayanus -
      Formerly known as Prise de Mousse

    • Brendan Keith
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
        Two (and a half) thoughts,

        1. You won't find many yeasts that will go higher than EC-1118. Is it worth
        trying to squeeze 1-2% more out of it?

        2. Since real whiskey is generally made with an ale or baker's yeast, you're
        already getting a different flavour characteristic than you might expect.

        2B. The lower ABV% of the traditional washes result in a whole other set of
        variables.

        My DME wash with brewer's yeast yielded something that taste similar but not
        completely unlike whiskey. I need to resample the 7:1 corn:malt whiskey
        from 2 weeks ago.
        --
        Brendan Keith
        bkeith@...