Re: [new_distillers] Whiskey Wash

  • jkirby007@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
      why waste the yeast and wait fer ye whisky distill it and do it diferently
      next time . i hate to waste time on gud likker

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tj_333" <tj_333@y...> wrote:

        > So as my first stab at making a whiskey, I stole the malt extract
        > recipe from homedistiller.org (12 pounds pale malt extract).
        Ended
        > up with a starting gravity of 1.18 and pitched EC118 (what
        happened
        > to be on hand).
        >
        > I didn't bother with the calcs last night, but was running through
        it
        > today...looks like the EC118 is going to poop out on me at about
        16%
        > ABV and a gravity of about 1.07. Being the cheap person that I
        am,
        > I'm debating tossing in some higher alcohol tolerant yeast to try
        and
        > ferment it out to about 20% and to cut down on the residual
        > sweetness...any one have any thoughts on this?
        >
        > I've made mead like this with some great results - ferment with an
        > ale yeast and then add in champagne yeast after the ale yeast does
        > it's thing and it produces some wonderful complexity...I'm curious
        if
        > this will translate well into distilling?

        Well TJ,
        EC-1118 IS a champagne yeast. So you'll be hard pressed to find one
        that tolerates higher alcohol. When it stops, cut your losses and
        distill it. Next time use a little less sugar. More info on that
        yeast, just to whet your appetite... :-)

        Lalvin EC-1118 (saccharomyces bayanus)
        The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne
        fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment
        equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of
        the most widely used yeasts in the world.

        The fermentation characteristics of the EC-1118 - extremely low
        production of foam, volatile acid and H 2 S - make this strain an
        excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide
        temperature range, from 7° to 35°C (45° to 95°F) and demonstrates
        high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact
        lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also
        properties of the EC-1118.

        The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including
        sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to
        restart stuck fermentations.

        The same yeast strain is found in Red Star Premier Cuvee S. bayanus -
        Formerly known as Prise de Mousse

      • Brendan Keith
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
          Two (and a half) thoughts,

          1. You won't find many yeasts that will go higher than EC-1118. Is it worth
          trying to squeeze 1-2% more out of it?

          2. Since real whiskey is generally made with an ale or baker's yeast, you're
          already getting a different flavour characteristic than you might expect.

          2B. The lower ABV% of the traditional washes result in a whole other set of
          variables.

          My DME wash with brewer's yeast yielded something that taste similar but not
          completely unlike whiskey. I need to resample the 7:1 corn:malt whiskey
          from 2 weeks ago.
          --
          Brendan Keith
          bkeith@...