Whiskey Wash

  • tj_333
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
      So as my first stab at making a whiskey, I stole the malt extract
      recipe from homedistiller.org (12 pounds pale malt extract). Ended
      up with a starting gravity of 1.18 and pitched EC118 (what happened
      to be on hand).

      I didn't bother with the calcs last night, but was running through it
      today...looks like the EC118 is going to poop out on me at about 16%
      ABV and a gravity of about 1.07. Being the cheap person that I am,
      I'm debating tossing in some higher alcohol tolerant yeast to try and
      ferment it out to about 20% and to cut down on the residual
      sweetness...any one have any thoughts on this?

      I've made mead like this with some great results - ferment with an
      ale yeast and then add in champagne yeast after the ale yeast does
      it's thing and it produces some wonderful complexity...I'm curious if
      this will translate well into distilling?
    • kiss my ass
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
        EC1118 is supposed to make 18% but that is about sg 1.145

        my suggestion is to take out a gallon of the wash and put it in another
        container.... add 1 gallon of water to the original and add about 1 qt of
        water to the container with the 1 gallon of wash..... let them both finish
        as usual.....

        you will still get all the alcohol but you will have a bit more to put in
        the still

        Kim

      • jkirby007@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
          why waste the yeast and wait fer ye whisky distill it and do it diferently
          next time . i hate to waste time on gud likker

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tj_333" <tj_333@y...> wrote:

            > So as my first stab at making a whiskey, I stole the malt extract
            > recipe from homedistiller.org (12 pounds pale malt extract).
            Ended
            > up with a starting gravity of 1.18 and pitched EC118 (what
            happened
            > to be on hand).
            >
            > I didn't bother with the calcs last night, but was running through
            it
            > today...looks like the EC118 is going to poop out on me at about
            16%
            > ABV and a gravity of about 1.07. Being the cheap person that I
            am,
            > I'm debating tossing in some higher alcohol tolerant yeast to try
            and
            > ferment it out to about 20% and to cut down on the residual
            > sweetness...any one have any thoughts on this?
            >
            > I've made mead like this with some great results - ferment with an
            > ale yeast and then add in champagne yeast after the ale yeast does
            > it's thing and it produces some wonderful complexity...I'm curious
            if
            > this will translate well into distilling?

            Well TJ,
            EC-1118 IS a champagne yeast. So you'll be hard pressed to find one
            that tolerates higher alcohol. When it stops, cut your losses and
            distill it. Next time use a little less sugar. More info on that
            yeast, just to whet your appetite... :-)

            Lalvin EC-1118 (saccharomyces bayanus)
            The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne
            fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment
            equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of
            the most widely used yeasts in the world.

            The fermentation characteristics of the EC-1118 - extremely low
            production of foam, volatile acid and H 2 S - make this strain an
            excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide
            temperature range, from 7° to 35°C (45° to 95°F) and demonstrates
            high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact
            lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also
            properties of the EC-1118.

            The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including
            sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to
            restart stuck fermentations.

            The same yeast strain is found in Red Star Premier Cuvee S. bayanus -
            Formerly known as Prise de Mousse

          • Brendan Keith
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
              Two (and a half) thoughts,

              1. You won't find many yeasts that will go higher than EC-1118. Is it worth
              trying to squeeze 1-2% more out of it?

              2. Since real whiskey is generally made with an ale or baker's yeast, you're
              already getting a different flavour characteristic than you might expect.

              2B. The lower ABV% of the traditional washes result in a whole other set of
              variables.

              My DME wash with brewer's yeast yielded something that taste similar but not
              completely unlike whiskey. I need to resample the 7:1 corn:malt whiskey
              from 2 weeks ago.
              --
              Brendan Keith
              bkeith@...