Re: introduction and a few questions

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 2, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Henry Stamp <henrystamp@g...>
      wrote:

      > Hi all, i'm very new to distilling (about 1 month) and am really
      loving
      > it so far... this list and homedistilling.org are really helpful.

      Welcome to the groups Henry. I see you posted the same message on
      our advanced group "Distillers". Most of the folks here belong to
      both groups so it's probably better you stick with this one (at
      least until you get more confident). :-) You'll get answers
      shortly when the regulars drop in.

      Slainte!
      regards Harry (Moderator)
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2005
        Answers interspersed...

        wrote:

        > Hi all, i'm very new to distilling (about 1 month) and am really
        loving
        > it so far... this list and homedistilling.org are really helpful.
        >
        > 1) any general tips on how to operate a small pot still to make
        brandy?

        O-W-L-Y.

        > we made the pot still we have just to see if this was any fun,
        before we
        > look into building a bigger one. its made from a small pressure
        cooker
        > (~6 litre capacity i think).

        concept'. Most serious hobbyists build/buy a real still.

        2 weeks ago we did a run with 4 litres of
        > cheap wine just to get used to it. our end result was shockingly
        good
        > for how clueless we were, but definitely has some distinct off
        smells
        > and tastes in it. we found it hard to get exact cutoffs for the
        > heads/tails, mostly because we were taking temperatures in the top
        of
        > the pot itself (above the wash), so by the time the vapour that we
        > measured has gotten all the way down to the end the condensor and
        is
        > dripping of into our collector the temperature in the pot has
        already
        > risen... i imagine this is also pretty tightly tied to the small
        size of
        > the wash we can use, if we had 20 litre's the time between the
        sections
        > would be longer and easier to determine.

        own question. :-)

        i guess the quiestion is, is
        > it realisitic to expect we will be able to get a decent product
        from a
        > still like this, or should we just move straight onto planning a
        larger
        > still (which is much more problematic for obvious legal and space
        reasons)

        profile works. Space? Refrigerators take up more room.

        > 2) should we be separating our sections of the distillate as it
        comes
        > out based on temperature readings, exact timing ("every 5
        minutes" ...
        > our first run only took like 30 minutes), or by volume in the
        collector?

        make cuts (in a bigger still). Collect in 300ml jars. Then you can
        separate the crap from the nectar.

        > 3) is there any movement to legalise home distilling in the USA?

        Too much hemmin'-n- hawin'.

        im
        > still kind of awe struck that we arnt allowed to distill the wine
        or
        > beer we make at home here in the "land of the free" ... has anyone
        > really tried in the past?

        corporate lobbying & vote buying.

        > 4) How does one make whiskey/brandy with a reflux/fractionating
        still?
        > i saw references that i was possible on homedistiller.org, but not
        > exactly how this works.

        like horse breaking, really. :-) Read all the back posts. There's
        heaps on this.

        i imagine that going the pot still route if i
        > dont intend to eve rmake neutral spirits makes the most sense, but
        im
        > curious about the other options.

        > 5) anyone ever thought about forming a legally "registered"
        distilling
        > collective in order to get around the laws in the USA?

        Google it.

        this thought
        > occured to us as we were sipping on our first batch illicit
        hooch.
        > maybe incorperate as a non profit to pay the taxes on the still.

        accept payment 'in kind' rather than cash? Prolly not. They'd get
        too pissed to add the figures. ;-)

        Is
        > just any person allowed to operate a legally licensed still, or do
        the
        > operators need some form of certification/license. An interesting
        idea
        > at least.

        groups. Much good info on licensing. Some quite recent.

        > thanks for any advice you have!
        >
        > - "henry"

        Henry, I'm dumbfounded! I thought you would have been swamped with
        opinions by now. Then again, distillers are a wary bunch. Maybe
        you being a first-time poster and launching into legal issues
        spooked 'em. Or too many questions. Or both. Whatever, all I can
        suggest is you keep reading everything, take your time, and then
        have a go at a real still. You'll never look back.