Re: [new_distillers] mugs away

  • Roderick Holmes
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2005
      I wrapped 1/4" copper tube around a 1.25" copper pipe. Fit perfectly inside a 2" copper pipe for the condensor. I made mine 18" long but it probably only needs to be 15". It helped that I wrapped on a rigid pipe, not a flexible plastic one. Much easier since the pipe does not flex as you are doing your winding.

      You insert the tube into the middle of the 1.25 inch copper pipe. Make a hairpin loop at the bottom and wind your way up the pipe. By inserting the tube down the pipe makes your fittings on one end. It is hard to attach fittings on the bottom of your condensor. People talk about filling the pipe with salt, sand, etc. Not needed with 1/4". Pain in the butt to get the sediment out too. Did not have any trouble with collapse. Just expect your arms to get very tired. I used 30' of tubing winding 1" at at time. I was sweating and my arms were beat after I was done but it was worth it. It is soldered to short 1/2" pipe which mates perfectly with 5/8" garden hose.

      Photo available on request

      Roderick

      fourtysouth <fourtysouth@...> wrote:

      g'day all. i am just getting all the gear together to make a Nixon
      Stone offset head design. I can follow all the instructions from
      home distillers and am going to use Matts design. I am stuck on the
      condensor though and the way he and others coil it. somewhere i saw
      a pic of how to do it but cannot find it again.
      any help will be appreciated
      Wes