Update on Terry's Mash Bill

  • Terry
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2005
      Well I sure have learned a lot over the last week, homedistillers
      does not tell you everything but there is still loads of knowledge on
      it. When I started my mash I learend as I went along, for example
      after boiling my rye and adding malted barley I came up with a great
      mash but when I went to try and filter it, it was like a heavy
      porridge, so filtering was almost impossible, I boiled it to long,
      know I know. When using tincture of iodine no one told me that sample
      has to be at room temp for it to work, thus the long boil. Then to
      try and filter out the grains I added 20l more of water, this was a
      great idea because now I could filter it but then I noticed that it
      dropped my SG right down, not so good idea, well live and learn, so I
      ended up adding white sugar to it and brought up the SG to 1.08. it
      is now fermenting like no tommorrow, but waiting to see what the
      final result will be. Hopefully all works but the next mash will be
      strictly rye and barley.

      TM