Re: [new_distillers] Questions about stillspirits super reflux condensor??

  • Ian Macsween
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2001
      I concur with Tony and support him with the following:

      1. Connect the pipe from the condenser to your tap and put the pipe from
      the tower into the drain.

      2. Make sure you have enough "headspace" or else the still could boil over.

      3. Make sure everything is secure - my still has a bungee cord over the top
      to stop the lid sliding upwards under heat and pressure.

      4. Plug it in.

      5. When your thermometer reads 65 c turn on the water supply - a steady
      flow of approx. 2 ltr per minute is fine.

      6. Collect and throw away the first 50 ml you collect as this is poisonous.

      7. Alcohol should start flowing at a steady drip at around 83 c and will
      continue flowing until around 92 c.

      8. Figure about 4 to 5 hours from the time distillate starts flowing
      freely from the condenser.

      9. Turn off the still as soon as the flow from the condenser slows
      appreciably. Don't collect distillate at under 60% by volume or continue
      distilling above a temperature of 95 c. You shine will be between 75% - 80%
      and under good conditions and a mash made with Turbo yeast - even more.

      Good luck from Poco Ian, best regard to Tony & Elle as well!
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2001
        Tony, Jack, I have just had a brief look at the "new"tower and was grossly
        dissapointed with what was being offered,so short,so fat,just like a tubby
        telly,not for adult usuage ,regards,Ken.
> [...]
        > more.
        > 10)once cool enough, remove the lid, tip out the contents and clean
        > everything well, including a good back-flushing of the column packing.
        >
        > For more details on doing this, see http:\\homedistiller.org\dtw.htm
        >
        > > Question 2, The reflux condensor was supplied with ceramic saddles i
        > > was wonder how high i fill the column, if i use all they supplied
        > > there is little room for the thermometer bulb (if it doesn't matter
        > > if the bulb touches the saddles then there's no problem)
        >
        > Ideally you want as much packing as you can, below where the reflux liquid
        > is formed. Unfortunately, where they have positioned the cooling collar
        is
        > too low, and any packing above it is basically wasted (like, how does it
        > get any liquid dripping down over it ??)
        >
        > You want your thermometer in the vapour, not touching the saddles.

      • Tony & Elle Ackland
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2001
          Ken,

          > Tony, Jack, I have just had a brief look at the "new"tower and was
          grossly
          > dissapointed with what was being offered,so short,so fat,just like a
          tubby
          > telly,not for adult usuage ,regards,Ken.

          Yeah - me too. I get the feeling that they don't quite understand how the
          reflux works to increase purity, and that they're just modifying existing
          pot still design, without knowing how they work. They could have done a
          very simple modification to increase the height of the column (and
          reposition the cooling collar to the very top), and it would have had heaps
          better results, for very little extra cost. Disappointing.

          Tony