Re: [new_distillers] Essences

  • janpam ooms
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 6, 2001
      Yes there is if you willing to experiment.right here in BRISBANE.
      Regards Jan.

      >From: "Robert Nicol" <dinks_c@...>
      >To: "New Distillers News Group" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: [new_distillers] Essences
      >Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:32:04 +1000
      >
      >Hi all is there a place in Australia where I can purchase bulk (cheap)
      >essences such as rum, scotch, and bourbon? Seems silly to pay $10 for a
      >sachet.
      >
      >Have a great day!
      >
      >Robert

    • Mark Wabster
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 7, 2002
        --- In new_distillers@y..., Jeanette Dunphy <jjjnettie@y...> wrote:

        Garry,
        A cheap ( and not too nasty ) alternative to Home Brew Shop
        essences, is the range of Queen essences on the shelves of every
        Woolies and Coles. I have used the Coconut Liqueur, Cherry Brandy,
        Chocolate, Orange essence and the Aged Whiskey flavours. The
        Parisienne Essence is used to darken your whisky or brandy.
        My favorite drink at the moment is made by mixing the RoseWater and
        Chocolate essences, and making a Turkish Delight flavoured liqueur.
        Aniseed and vanilla essence make a Galliano type drink.
        Cost is rarely more than a dollar or two per bottle, and you only
        use a few teaspoons per 750ml bottle of liqueur.
        Jeanette

        Jeanette this sounds great, can you elaborate a little more and give some idea of the amounts and sorts of essences you use, as well as the amount of sugar and/or glucose you add to give sweetness and body.

        Also has anyone made citrus based liquors, say mandarine/tangerine vodka that can give some recipe suggestions?

        Cheerz Mark.

        Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
        Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
      • Proko
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
          Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
          those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they are
          trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for favourite
          scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
          produces a great tasting drop.
          Cheers
        • Michael
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
            --- In new_distillers@y..., "Proko" <prokofiev_2000@y...> wrote:
            > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
            > those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they are
            > trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for favourite
            > scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
            > produces a great tasting drop.
            > Cheers

            I've had fairly good luck with the Sambucca essences, as well as the
            Creme de Cacao ones, usually called Baileys or Irish Cream. I've
            used various bourbon essences, but eventually switched to simply
            using bourbon barrel shavings. These work much better, but you have
            to strain the wood out eventually.

            Michael
          • Darryl Ward
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
              As I may have mentioned before, my experience, (mostly with the Still
              Spirits range), was that only the Brandy and the London-dry style Gin.

              Flavours for whisky etc just did not work, even if using premium brands of
              flavourings such as Royal Piper.

              What I have done to create spirits/liqueurs from my base vodka is to add my
              own flavourings.

              My usual concoction is aquavit (also called akaavit), and to make this I
              lightly grind a mixture of mostly caraway seeds with a little dill seed and
              fennel seed added, and leave it to soak in the vodka for up to month before
              filtering it (through a fine strainer, NOT carbon).

              Other products I make in this manner include chilli vodka and various herbal
              liqueurs - such as lemon-balm or mint liqueur, (although I add sugar syrup
              to the latter-.

              I have also made a very good "blackberry nip" by mixing approximately equal
              quantities of vodka and fresh, ripe and pricked blackberries... leaving for
              a while, and filtering, (again WITHOUT carbon).

              Good luck and happy drinking!

              Darryl

              > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
              > those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they are
              > trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for favourite
              > scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
              > produces a great tasting drop.
              > Cheers

            • Darryl Ward
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                > My usual concoction is aquavit (also called akaavit), and to make this I
                > lightly grind a mixture of mostly caraway seeds with a little dill seed
                and
                > fennel seed added, and leave it to soak in the vodka for up to month
                before
                > filtering it (through a fine strainer, NOT carbon).

                I am still half asleep... substitute CORIANDER for FENNEL.

                Darryl
              • dark_taet
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                  --- In new_distillers@y..., "Proko" <prokofiev_2000@y...> wrote:
                  > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
                  > those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they are
                  > trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for favourite
                  > scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
                  > produces a great tasting drop.
                  > Cheers

                  Personally, i REALLY like the Still Spirits Bourbon... oh god i can
                  feel the shock coming from the list.....<grin>

                  Seriously, I use the premium stuff in the cardboard packet, and me
                  father friends etc all think its great. The only trick i learnt was
                  that you need to add 3 or 4 peppercorns to the bottle to give it
                  that nice heat.

                  I have been recently experimenting with laying it down in an old
                  port barrel, which has been giving it some interesting fruity
                  overtones....

                  To be honest would love to try some of the home grown Bourbon so if
                  there is anyone near the ACT (Australia) i'd been keen to do a taste
                  swap...

                  Matt

                  PS We have also recently done the Melon (Midori), Butterscotch Snaps
                  (mmmmm), Dictine (that would be an aquired taste), every premium rum
                  they have... so so, one friend loves it but wife keeps saying "its
                  just not bundy rum", the scotch isnt to bad, not good enough for
                  drinking over ice but fine with dry giner etc.
                • Mike Nixon
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                    dark_taet wrote:
                    Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Essences

                    Personally, i REALLY like the Still Spirits Bourbon... oh god i can
                    feel the shock coming from the list.....<grin>
                    =====================
                    I personally find their whiskey essences to be very good too, particularly if oaked.

                    Mike N

                  • Darryl Ward
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                      I suppose I should admit that some of the bourbon essences were alright myself, but oak chips (I used toasted) did make a vast improvement.

                      I am not really a bourbon person myself, and would ideally love to replicate an Islay malt like Lagavulin, but do not consider this pssible at home.... however I would love to be shown to be wrong here!

                      Cheers

                      Darryl
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                        Darryl,
                        About the Lagavulin - or such - I have been trying that for the last18
                        months, & no cigar. However, I am running a batch of malted barley right
                        now - and I will let you know how it is coming along. Fermenting the mash
                        is the easy part. More critical will be the cutoffs for distillation, and
                        the oak-ageing. I may have to accept Jack's (ups474) advice, which is to
                        focus on making a barley-based whisky that I will be satisfied with, rather
                        than attempt to make (copy) a known whisky. Which is probably eminently
                        sensible and realistic.
                        We'll see,
                        John V

                        Darryl Ward wrote:

                        > I suppose I should admit that some of the bourbon essences were alright
                        > myself, but oak chips (I used toasted) did make a vast improvement. I am
                        > not really a bourbon person myself, and would ideally love to replicate
                        > an Islay malt like Lagavulin, but do not consider this pssible at
                        > home.... however I would love to be shown to be wrong here! Cheers Darryl

                      • Darryl Ward
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                          Thank you for that John, I will be interested to see how you get on.

                          I have heard about peat extracts that can be added to your mash, but know
                          nothing about them. Other than that, maybe some seaweed to add the Iodine
                          flavour so characteristic of Islay malts?

                          Darryl

                          > About the Lagavulin - or such - I have been trying that for the last18
                          > months, & no cigar. However, I am running a batch of malted barley right
                          > now - and I will let you know how it is coming along. Fermenting the mash
                          > is the easy part. More critical will be the cutoffs for distillation, and
                          > the oak-ageing. I may have to accept Jack's (ups474) advice, which is to
                          > focus on making a barley-based whisky that I will be satisfied with,
                          rather
                          > than attempt to make (copy) a known whisky. Which is probably eminently
                          > sensible and realistic.
                          > We'll see,
                          > John V
                          >
                          > Darryl Ward wrote:
                          >
                          > > I suppose I should admit that some of the bourbon essences were
                          alright
                          > > myself, but oak chips (I used toasted) did make a vast improvement. I am
                          > > not really a bourbon person myself, and would ideally love to replicate
                          > > an Islay malt like Lagavulin, but do not consider this pssible at
                          > > home.... however I would love to be shown to be wrong here! Cheers
                          Darryl

                        • Proko
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 20, 2002
                            --- In new_distillers@y..., "dark_taet" <ndistillers@t...> wrote:
                            > --- In new_distillers@y..., "Proko" <prokofiev_2000@y...> wrote:
                            > > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
                            > > those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they
                            are
                            > > trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for
                            favourite
                            > > scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
                            > > produces a great tasting drop.
                            > > Cheers
                            >
                            > Personally, i REALLY like the Still Spirits Bourbon... oh god i
                            can
                            > feel the shock coming from the list.....<grin>
                            >
                            > Seriously, I use the premium stuff in the cardboard packet, and me
                            > father friends etc all think its great. The only trick i learnt
                            was
                            > that you need to add 3 or 4 peppercorns to the bottle to give it
                            > that nice heat.
                            >
                            > I have been recently experimenting with laying it down in an old
                            > port barrel, which has been giving it some interesting fruity
                            > overtones....
                            >
                            > To be honest would love to try some of the home grown Bourbon so
                            if
                            > there is anyone near the ACT (Australia) i'd been keen to do a
                            taste
                            > swap...
                            >
                            > Matt
                            >
                            > PS We have also recently done the Melon (Midori), Butterscotch
                            Snaps
                            > (mmmmm), Dictine (that would be an aquired taste), every premium
                            rum
                            > they have... so so, one friend loves it but wife keeps saying "its
                            > just not bundy rum", the scotch isnt to bad, not good enough for
                            > drinking over ice but fine with dry giner etc.

                            Just like my wife with the cardboard packaged gin. She drinks it
                            every night but won't tell me if its as good as the original or not.
                            She's onto her second litre in about as many weeks but prefers to
                            refrain from commenting about its taste and volatility. I suppose if
                            she says its good it will give me free reign to producing "stuff"
                            all the time: something wives never do!
                          • Proko
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 20, 2002
                              Your Chilli Vodka sounds interesting. Can you enlighten me?
                              Proko
                              --- In new_distillers@y..., "Darryl Ward" <taliesin@p...> wrote:
                              > As I may have mentioned before, my experience, (mostly with the
                              Still
                              > Spirits range), was that only the Brandy and the London-dry style
                              Gin.

                              > Flavours for whisky etc just did not work, even if using premium
                              brands of
                              > flavourings such as Royal Piper.
                              >
                              > What I have done to create spirits/liqueurs from my base vodka is
                              to add my
                              > own flavourings.
                              >
                              > My usual concoction is aquavit (also called akaavit), and to make
                              this I
                              > lightly grind a mixture of mostly caraway seeds with a little dill
                              seed and
                              > fennel seed added, and leave it to soak in the vodka for up to
                              month before
                              > filtering it (through a fine strainer, NOT carbon).
                              >
                              > Other products I make in this manner include chilli vodka and
                              various herbal
                              > liqueurs - such as lemon-balm or mint liqueur, (although I add
                              sugar syrup
                              > to the latter-.
                              >
                              > I have also made a very good "blackberry nip" by mixing
                              approximately equal
                              > quantities of vodka and fresh, ripe and pricked blackberries...
                              leaving for
                              > a while, and filtering, (again WITHOUT carbon).
                              >
                              > Good luck and happy drinking!
                              >
                              > Darryl

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            • Darryl Ward
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 20, 2002
                                Certainly

                                It was about 8 years ago that I made it now.

                                I took 4 litres of vodka from my pot still. (Back then I was NOT diluting it
                                so it would have been 60-65%.)

                                I put it into a glass jar with about 200 grams of long green chillies,
                                sealed it well and left it in the Sun for three weeks, and then strained the
                                greenish yellow fluid that was left behind.

                                Boy, it was hooooot! However it was also legendary.

                                Cheers

                                Darryl

                                btw, to make something closer to authentic Russian chilli vodka you want red
                                chillies, not green. But I prefer green chillies so I used them instead.

                                > Your Chilli Vodka sounds interesting. Can you enlighten me?
                                > Proko
                                > --- In new_distillers@y..., "Darryl Ward" <taliesin@p...> wrote:
                                > > As I may have mentioned before, my experience, (mostly with the
                                > Still
                                > > Spirits range), was that only the Brandy and the London-dry style
                                > Gin.
                                > >
                                > > Flavours for whisky etc just did not work, even if using premium
                                > brands of
                                > > flavourings such as Royal Piper.
                                > >
                                > > What I have done to create spirits/liqueurs from my base vodka is
                                > to add my
                                > > own flavourings.
                                > >
                                > > My usual concoction is aquavit (also called akaavit), and to make
                                > this I
                                > > lightly grind a mixture of mostly caraway seeds with a little dill
                                > seed and
                                > > fennel seed added, and leave it to soak in the vodka for up to
                                > month before
                                > > filtering it (through a fine strainer, NOT carbon).
                                > >
                                > > Other products I make in this manner include chilli vodka and
                                > various herbal
                                > > liqueurs - such as lemon-balm or mint liqueur, (although I add
                                > sugar syrup
                                > > to the latter-.
                                > >
                                > > I have also made a very good "blackberry nip" by mixing
                                > approximately equal
                                > > quantities of vodka and fresh, ripe and pricked blackberries...
                                > leaving for
                                > > a while, and filtering, (again WITHOUT carbon).
                                > >
                                > > Good luck and happy drinking!
                                > >
                                > > Darryl

                              • Tony & Elle Ackland
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 21, 2002
                                  > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use.

                                  Midori is usually a winner, as is the black sambuca.

                                  Tony
                                • Lynne
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 21, 2002
                                    At 06:17 PM 11/22/02 +1300, Tony wrote:
                                    >Midori is usually a winner, as is the black sambuca.

                                    As is the Still Spirits Citrus Vodka, if, like me, you don't have the
                                    time/inclination to wait for real peel to do its thing. Around here it
                                    goes down well with those who usually drink the heavier flavoured stuff
                                    like rum/bourbon/whiskey, which I don't make. I think someone else has
                                    already mentioned it, but the Still Spirits Classic Gin (blue cardboard
                                    package) is good value; although 'aging' it for a couple of weeks is a good
                                    idea. If you (or your resident gin drinker) prefer a stronger gin flavour,
                                    pop a couple of crushed juniper berries in each bottle.

                                    Cheers
                                    Lynne
                                  • Aaron Pelly
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 21, 2002
                                      Tried some Still Spirits Hot Cinnamon Schnapps a while ago. Quite good. The
                                      colour was over the top (like all of them) and didn't really get the "wooh
                                      yea"s from mates until it was fortified with some chilli vodka I'd concocted
                                      earlier, but on the whole pretty good.

                                      Still experimenting with the gins. The premium ones seem to be the worst so
                                      far. Over the top with juniper, and something I find "sweet?"

                                      Aaron.

                                    • leo_advocaat
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Feb 4, 2007
                                        Could anyone tell me if the Essences we use to make a finished product,
                                        are natural ingredients or a manufactured chemical? This is not to put
                                        any one off, mainly just out of interest.