Re: ruined fermentation?

  • jcmca
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 4, 2005
      very funny, Cary!! lol!

      nope - on a cooking nite, i don't even have a beer!

      the setup SHOULD be good, but there is a ghost in it somewhere. just
      don't know where...

      best!
      John

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@y...>
      wrote:

      > John
      >
      > Sounds like you have a pretty good setup to me.
      >
      > Maybe your taster is defective.
      >
      > LOL
      >
      > cary r
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jcmca" <jcmca@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > to reply to Cary and Articstiller...(with thanx!)
      > >
      > > my column is pure copper pipe and fittings. i also use 2 copper
      pot
      > > scrubbers in the column, so it isn't a copper issue. i have tried
      > all
      > > the different copper scrubbers i can find, too. some cheap and
      some
      > > expensive. have also burned them over a flame to make SURE they
      are
      > > metal and also soaked them in vinegar to see if they are copper.
      > they
      > > turn the vinegar blue, so i assume they are copper!
      > >
      > > i could pack the column with more scrubbers, but that will also
      > scrub
      > > out the taste of the rum and whisky i want to make. have tried no
      > > scrubbers and get 55% and with 5 scrubbers i get 93%, but it ALL
      > > smells and tasted dreadful!
      > >
      > > i heat up the boiler on a propane turkey fryer, and use minimum
      > heat
      > > so as not to burn the wash. with the scrubbers in the column, the
      > > head temp is between 73 and 77C and without any scrubbers it runs
      > at
      > > 90C. temp makes NO difference to the taste, which is bad from
      start
      > > to finish.
      > >
      > > thanx!
      > > John
      > >
      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes"
      > <rhodeseng@y...>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > john
      > > >
      > > > couple of questions.
      > > >
      > > > what are you firing it with?? its easy to use way too much heat
      > > with
      > > > a propane setup.
      > > >
      > > > Along the same line. Have you got a digital thermo in the top
      of
      > > the
      > > > column.
      > > >
      > > > With only 80 percent product, you are getting other stuff, like
      > > > water, over into your catch jug.
      > > >
      > > > cary r
      > > >

      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jcmca" <jcmca@s...>

      US
      > > > gallon
      > stainless
      > > adapter
      > are
      > > no

      > malt,
      NASTY
      > > mash.

      > sanitize
      > > food
      > > matter
      > > feel
      > > > like
      > in
      > > > the
      > that
      > > > is
      > > bad

      > > on
      > could

    • mspk2004
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>

        Having had problems with two recent fermentations myself, I very much
        appreciate your reasoned reponse to John's problem Thanks.