Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [new_distillers] methanol & tails

Expand Messages
  • Ian Macsween
    I am a new member of this group - but I built my first still many years ago thanks to the metalwork shop and the science labs in the senior secondary school
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      I am a new member of this group - but I built my first still many years ago
      thanks to the metalwork shop and the science labs in the senior secondary
      school where I was a teacher. My first thought is that if you really want
      to make good moonshine, why dick around with a small "stovetop" model? I
      had one shipped from New Zealand - prior to the bin Laden scare - with no
      problems at all. It is far more sophisticated than any individual could
      possibly build - and it is foolproof. It is also inexpensive.

      Obviously you care enough about your health to take necessary precautions -
      otherwise you would not be asking others on the "net" for advise. Explore
      other net sites like - http://homedistiller.org - and others - there are
      also books available. Don't take any tips from guys like me as being
      gospel - because we all have our different methods. I doubt that you will
      ever get "poisoned" from bad shine - just headaches etc. - unless you have a
      serious quantity intake problem. The clear blue flame that you allude to is
      not an indication of quality - just high alcohol. However, the colour of
      your product is important. If it has a slight blue tinge - or is not
      crystal clear - don't drink it. The thermometer is the most important part
      of your still - you MUST use one - and abide by the temp. readings. I trust
      that you already know what temp. to start your cooling process and when to
      stop it? Yes, it is important to: turn on the water to cool your mast when
      temp goes to 65c -get rid of the FIRST 50ml shine - won't kill you - but we
      are advocating quality here not hangovers - monitor your drip - it will
      hover around 83c for quite a while then start climbing - you will notice the
      drip slow perceptible at 92c - DO NOT continue to collect alcohol after
      92c - unless you like rotgut moonshine. A bigger still will make your time,
      effort and the small amount we spend in turbo yeast, sugar, and electricity
      far more productive.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "derek geoffrey redman" <redmans1@...>
      To: <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, November 05, 2001 3:49 PM
      Subject: [new_distillers] methanol & tails


      > This is an awesome newsgroup and homedistiller.org is one helluva
      > website. Anyways, I have a problem that you people may be able to help
      > me with...
      >
      > I know a guy in Canada who has distilled a couple of washes so far with
      > a small pot still on a stove top. The first time he made some Apple
      > Schnapps from a 14% wash that was pretty good. Incidentally, he set
      > aside the first 50mL of distillate for each 6L batch of wash to get rid
      > of the methanol. Next, this guy tried to make a rum from a brown sugar
      > wash at 11% but I'm wondering if it was sufficient to throw away the
      > first 50mL of distillate for each 6L batch of wash to get rid of the
      > methanol. I'm assuming there were no undesirable bugs in the wash that
      > could produce extra methanol. I think that he simply did not monitor
      > the vapour temperature very well throughout the process.
      >
      > If the still is heated too quickly to temperatures >70 degrees celsius,
      > is it possible to have methanol in the distillate collected after the
      > first 50mL?
      >
      > How careful do you have to be with cutting off the tails? Is it more a
      > matter of the preferred flavour or is there a real risk of being
      > poisoned? If you can light a drop of the distillate collected from the
      > tails and still get a blue flame, does that indicate an edible product?
      >
      > With this much doubt, would you recommend a re-distillation?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > geoff
      >
      >
      >
      > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      > new_distillers-unsubscribe@onelist.com
      >
      >
      >
      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      >
      >
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.