Re: [new_distillers] Vapour Control

  • Mike Nixon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
      blue4lew wrote:
      Subject: [new_distillers] Vapour Control

      I am working on the premise that my vapour speed is between 115 to 120
      cm/sec, which means it will transverse my 91X5cm" column in less
      than one second. I'm not sure if laden vapour displays the same(or
      more)laminar characteristics as air say moving over an aircraft
      wing. (Hell, maybe i'm just getting to anal about it). What i'm
      looking for is controlling entrance of vapour to the condenser
      section to maximize the coil with the least amount of cooling water.
      I have some theories but Alex, Jim, Mike and Boot have all probably
      pondered on this question in their designs..what do you guys think.
      By the way it's -26c here today, and my brain is frozzzzzen.
      ===========================
      Hi Llewelyn.

      Happy New Year to you too! Wish I could say the same for your poor wee
      column though. If you are right about that vapor speed, then you are
      shoving 3kW of power into the column to give around 46 inches/sec vapor
      speed. The maximun speed you can get any sensible separation out of a
      packed column that size is 20 inches/second! Forget flow charactristics of
      ethanol-rich vapor (which are much the same as air by the way). No problems
      about the condenser though with ambient temperature that low!!! Sounds like
      the "summer" we're enjoying in KiwiLand. Your problem will be keeping heat
      in, and keeping that vapor speed down. The optimum speed for a 5cm - 2"
      diameter column is around 700-800W ... that gives around 10-12 inches/second
      vapor speed, and the packing has a chance to do some decent separation. You
      can go up to 1500W and still get reasonable results, but the penalty you pay
      is lower quality. Mind you, 1500W into an unpacked column that size would
      make a great whiskey still!

      Seriously consider a lower power, or upgrade to a bigger diameter column.
      You will appreciate the results!

      All the best,
      Mike N