Re: ruined fermentation?

  • jcmca
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 3, 2005
      to reply to Cary and Articstiller...(with thanx!)

      my column is pure copper pipe and fittings. i also use 2 copper pot
      scrubbers in the column, so it isn't a copper issue. i have tried all
      the different copper scrubbers i can find, too. some cheap and some
      expensive. have also burned them over a flame to make SURE they are
      metal and also soaked them in vinegar to see if they are copper. they
      turn the vinegar blue, so i assume they are copper!

      i could pack the column with more scrubbers, but that will also scrub
      out the taste of the rum and whisky i want to make. have tried no
      scrubbers and get 55% and with 5 scrubbers i get 93%, but it ALL
      smells and tasted dreadful!

      i heat up the boiler on a propane turkey fryer, and use minimum heat
      so as not to burn the wash. with the scrubbers in the column, the
      head temp is between 73 and 77C and without any scrubbers it runs at
      90C. temp makes NO difference to the taste, which is bad from start
      to finish.

      thanx!
      John

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Rhodes" <rhodeseng@y...>
      wrote:

      > john
      >
      > couple of questions.
      >
      > what are you firing it with?? its easy to use way too much heat
      with
      > a propane setup.
      >
      > Along the same line. Have you got a digital thermo in the top of
      the
      > column.
      >
      > With only 80 percent product, you are getting other stuff, like
      > water, over into your catch jug.
      >
      > cary r
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jcmca" <jcmca@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > happy new year to all out there!
      > >
      > > i got a question. i have a fine 39" reflux column with a 15 US
      > gallon
      > > beer keg as a boiler. the piece that couples the 2 is a stainless
      > > kitchen mixing bowl with holes drilled in the bottom and an
      adapter
      > > that the column slides into. i use cork as gaskets and there are
      no
      > > leaks anywhere.
      > >
      > > all the stuff that i have fermented so far (5 batches (rye, malt,
      > > rum))has smelled delightful, but the spirit i get is real NASTY
      > > stuff! last friday i got 3 liters of 80% out of 25 liters of
      mash.
      > > that is before i gave up in disgust and tossed the whole lot.
      > >
      > > is it possible that there is a cockup in the ferment? i sanitize
      > > everything properly and have a bubbly thing in the lid of the
      food
      > > grade fermenting bucket that stops trash coming back, but no
      matter
      > > what i do, i get nothing usable. to try and describe the mouth
      feel
      > > of the spirit - it doesn't taste anything like booze, but feels
      > like
      > > it evaporates instantly on the tongue and leaves a hot feeling in
      > the
      > > mouth. the wife says it smells like mail polish remover! and that
      > is
      > > acetone. i don't know if there is a chemical connection between
      > > acetic acid and acetone, but is it possible that the brew goes
      bad
      > > before i distill? how would i be able to tell?
      > >
      > > i also know that the adapter that joins the column and the bowl
      on
      > > the boiler isn't stainless steel. i think it is galvenized. could
      > > that make a difference?
      > >
      > > any pointers will be MOST appreciated!
      > >
      > > best!
      > > John
    • mspk2004
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>

        Having had problems with two recent fermentations myself, I very much
        appreciate your reasoned reponse to John's problem Thanks.