Re: [new_distillers] ruined fermentation?

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 42 , Jan 3, 2005
      I don't know for sure if it's the source of your
      problem but galvanized steel should not come into
      direct contact with the alcohol vapour! Use stainless
      or brass instead, even now threaded copper fittings
      and adapters are available.
      There are several grades of galvanization and some can
      contain varying levels of lead as well as a host of
      other chemicals and metals that will create toxic
      gases and by-products that will contaminate your
      spirits and WILL poison you when exposed to heat!
      Plastics are another area of concern, certain plastics
      are just not safe when heated above a specific temp or
      exposed to alcohol vapours, eg; rigid PE plastics and
      HDPE specifically are what I am willing to use... PVC,
      CPVC, ABS, etc are some I would not use with my
      spirits ! Even in soft PE plastics there are
      "elastomers" which are added to make the polyethylene
      pliable which will leach with extended contact with
      some solutions and solvents!

      No need for unnecessary risks!

      --- jcmca <jcmca@...> wrote:

      ---------------------------------

      happy new year to all out there!

      i got a question. i have a fine 39" reflux column with
      a 15 US gallon
      beer keg as a boiler. the piece that couples the 2 is
      a stainless
      kitchen mixing bowl with holes drilled in the bottom
      and an adapter
      that the column slides into. i use cork as gaskets and
      there are no
      leaks anywhere.

      all the stuff that i have fermented so far (5 batches
      (rye, malt,
      rum))has smelled delightful, but the spirit i get is
      real NASTY
      stuff! last friday i got 3 liters of 80% out of 25
      liters of mash.
      that is before i gave up in disgust and tossed the
      whole lot.

      is it possible that there is a cockup in the ferment?
      i sanitize
      everything properly and have a bubbly thing in the lid
      of the food
      grade fermenting bucket that stops trash coming back,
      but no matter
      what i do, i get nothing usable. to try and describe
      the mouth feel
      of the spirit - it doesn't taste anything like booze,
      but feels like
      it evaporates instantly on the tongue and leaves a hot
      feeling in the
      mouth. the wife says it smells like mail polish
      remover! and that is
      acetone. i don't know if there is a chemical
      connection between
      acetic acid and acetone, but is it possible that the
      brew goes bad
      before i distill? how would i be able to tell?

      i also know that the adapter that joins the column and
      the bowl on
      the boiler isn't stainless steel. i think it is
      galvenized. could
      that make a difference?

      any pointers will be MOST appreciated!

      best!
      John

      New Distillers group archives are at
      http://archive.nnytech.net/
      FAQ and other information available at
      http://homedistiller.org

      Terms of Service.

    • mspk2004
      Message 42 of 42 , Jan 5, 2005
        --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Lindsay Williams" <linw@x>

        Having had problems with two recent fermentations myself, I very much
        appreciate your reasoned reponse to John's problem Thanks.