Essences

  • Robert Nicol
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 5, 2001

      Hi all is there a place in Australia where I can purchase bulk (cheap) essences such as rum, scotch, and bourbon? Seems silly to pay $10 for a sachet.

      Have a great day!

      Robert

    • janpam ooms
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 6, 2001
        Yes there is if you willing to experiment.right here in BRISBANE.
        Regards Jan.

        >From: "Robert Nicol" <dinks_c@...>
        >To: "New Distillers News Group" <new_distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: [new_distillers] Essences
        >Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 09:32:04 +1000
        >
        >Hi all is there a place in Australia where I can purchase bulk (cheap)
        >essences such as rum, scotch, and bourbon? Seems silly to pay $10 for a
        >sachet.
        >
        >Have a great day!
        >
        >Robert

      • Mark Wabster
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 7, 2002
          --- In new_distillers@y..., Jeanette Dunphy <jjjnettie@y...> wrote:

          Garry,
          A cheap ( and not too nasty ) alternative to Home Brew Shop
          essences, is the range of Queen essences on the shelves of every
          Woolies and Coles. I have used the Coconut Liqueur, Cherry Brandy,
          Chocolate, Orange essence and the Aged Whiskey flavours. The
          Parisienne Essence is used to darken your whisky or brandy.
          My favorite drink at the moment is made by mixing the RoseWater and
          Chocolate essences, and making a Turkish Delight flavoured liqueur.
          Aniseed and vanilla essence make a Galliano type drink.
          Cost is rarely more than a dollar or two per bottle, and you only
          use a few teaspoons per 750ml bottle of liqueur.
          Jeanette

          Jeanette this sounds great, can you elaborate a little more and give some idea of the amounts and sorts of essences you use, as well as the amount of sugar and/or glucose you add to give sweetness and body.

          Also has anyone made citrus based liquors, say mandarine/tangerine vodka that can give some recipe suggestions?

          Cheerz Mark.

          Watch a championship game with Elway or McGwire.
          Enter Now at http://champions.lycos.com
        • Proko
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
            Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
            those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they are
            trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for favourite
            scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
            produces a great tasting drop.
            Cheers
          • Michael
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
              --- In new_distillers@y..., "Proko" <prokofiev_2000@y...> wrote:
              > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
              > those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they are
              > trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for favourite
              > scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
              > produces a great tasting drop.
              > Cheers

              I've had fairly good luck with the Sambucca essences, as well as the
              Creme de Cacao ones, usually called Baileys or Irish Cream. I've
              used various bourbon essences, but eventually switched to simply
              using bourbon barrel shavings. These work much better, but you have
              to strain the wood out eventually.

              Michael
            • Darryl Ward
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                As I may have mentioned before, my experience, (mostly with the Still
                Spirits range), was that only the Brandy and the London-dry style Gin.

                Flavours for whisky etc just did not work, even if using premium brands of
                flavourings such as Royal Piper.

                What I have done to create spirits/liqueurs from my base vodka is to add my
                own flavourings.

                My usual concoction is aquavit (also called akaavit), and to make this I
                lightly grind a mixture of mostly caraway seeds with a little dill seed and
                fennel seed added, and leave it to soak in the vodka for up to month before
                filtering it (through a fine strainer, NOT carbon).

                Other products I make in this manner include chilli vodka and various herbal
                liqueurs - such as lemon-balm or mint liqueur, (although I add sugar syrup
                to the latter-.

                I have also made a very good "blackberry nip" by mixing approximately equal
                quantities of vodka and fresh, ripe and pricked blackberries... leaving for
                a while, and filtering, (again WITHOUT carbon).

                Good luck and happy drinking!

                Darryl

                > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
                > those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they are
                > trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for favourite
                > scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
                > produces a great tasting drop.
                > Cheers

              • Darryl Ward
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                  > My usual concoction is aquavit (also called akaavit), and to make this I
                  > lightly grind a mixture of mostly caraway seeds with a little dill seed
                  and
                  > fennel seed added, and leave it to soak in the vodka for up to month
                  before
                  > filtering it (through a fine strainer, NOT carbon).

                  I am still half asleep... substitute CORIANDER for FENNEL.

                  Darryl
                • dark_taet
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                    --- In new_distillers@y..., "Proko" <prokofiev_2000@y...> wrote:
                    > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
                    > those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they are
                    > trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for favourite
                    > scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
                    > produces a great tasting drop.
                    > Cheers

                    Personally, i REALLY like the Still Spirits Bourbon... oh god i can
                    feel the shock coming from the list.....<grin>

                    Seriously, I use the premium stuff in the cardboard packet, and me
                    father friends etc all think its great. The only trick i learnt was
                    that you need to add 3 or 4 peppercorns to the bottle to give it
                    that nice heat.

                    I have been recently experimenting with laying it down in an old
                    port barrel, which has been giving it some interesting fruity
                    overtones....

                    To be honest would love to try some of the home grown Bourbon so if
                    there is anyone near the ACT (Australia) i'd been keen to do a taste
                    swap...

                    Matt

                    PS We have also recently done the Melon (Midori), Butterscotch Snaps
                    (mmmmm), Dictine (that would be an aquired taste), every premium rum
                    they have... so so, one friend loves it but wife keeps saying "its
                    just not bundy rum", the scotch isnt to bad, not good enough for
                    drinking over ice but fine with dry giner etc.
                  • Mike Nixon
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                      dark_taet wrote:
                      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: Essences

                      Personally, i REALLY like the Still Spirits Bourbon... oh god i can
                      feel the shock coming from the list.....<grin>
                      =====================
                      I personally find their whiskey essences to be very good too, particularly if oaked.

                      Mike N

                    • Darryl Ward
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                        I suppose I should admit that some of the bourbon essences were alright myself, but oak chips (I used toasted) did make a vast improvement.

                        I am not really a bourbon person myself, and would ideally love to replicate an Islay malt like Lagavulin, but do not consider this pssible at home.... however I would love to be shown to be wrong here!

                        Cheers

                        Darryl
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                          Darryl,
                          About the Lagavulin - or such - I have been trying that for the last18
                          months, & no cigar. However, I am running a batch of malted barley right
                          now - and I will let you know how it is coming along. Fermenting the mash
                          is the easy part. More critical will be the cutoffs for distillation, and
                          the oak-ageing. I may have to accept Jack's (ups474) advice, which is to
                          focus on making a barley-based whisky that I will be satisfied with, rather
                          than attempt to make (copy) a known whisky. Which is probably eminently
                          sensible and realistic.
                          We'll see,
                          John V

                          Darryl Ward wrote:

                          > I suppose I should admit that some of the bourbon essences were alright
                          > myself, but oak chips (I used toasted) did make a vast improvement. I am
                          > not really a bourbon person myself, and would ideally love to replicate
                          > an Islay malt like Lagavulin, but do not consider this pssible at
                          > home.... however I would love to be shown to be wrong here! Cheers Darryl

                        • Darryl Ward
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 19, 2002
                            Thank you for that John, I will be interested to see how you get on.

                            I have heard about peat extracts that can be added to your mash, but know
                            nothing about them. Other than that, maybe some seaweed to add the Iodine
                            flavour so characteristic of Islay malts?

                            Darryl

                            > About the Lagavulin - or such - I have been trying that for the last18
                            > months, & no cigar. However, I am running a batch of malted barley right
                            > now - and I will let you know how it is coming along. Fermenting the mash
                            > is the easy part. More critical will be the cutoffs for distillation, and
                            > the oak-ageing. I may have to accept Jack's (ups474) advice, which is to
                            > focus on making a barley-based whisky that I will be satisfied with,
                            rather
                            > than attempt to make (copy) a known whisky. Which is probably eminently
                            > sensible and realistic.
                            > We'll see,
                            > John V
                            >
                            > Darryl Ward wrote:
                            >
                            > > I suppose I should admit that some of the bourbon essences were
                            alright
                            > > myself, but oak chips (I used toasted) did make a vast improvement. I am
                            > > not really a bourbon person myself, and would ideally love to replicate
                            > > an Islay malt like Lagavulin, but do not consider this pssible at
                            > > home.... however I would love to be shown to be wrong here! Cheers
                            Darryl

                          • Proko
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 20, 2002
                              --- In new_distillers@y..., "dark_taet" <ndistillers@t...> wrote:
                              > --- In new_distillers@y..., "Proko" <prokofiev_2000@y...> wrote:
                              > > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use. ie
                              > > those that are a pretty good replacement for the product they
                              are
                              > > trying to replicate. I am not being specific asking for
                              favourite
                              > > scotch, gin etc but would like to hear about any essence that
                              > > produces a great tasting drop.
                              > > Cheers
                              >
                              > Personally, i REALLY like the Still Spirits Bourbon... oh god i
                              can
                              > feel the shock coming from the list.....<grin>
                              >
                              > Seriously, I use the premium stuff in the cardboard packet, and me
                              > father friends etc all think its great. The only trick i learnt
                              was
                              > that you need to add 3 or 4 peppercorns to the bottle to give it
                              > that nice heat.
                              >
                              > I have been recently experimenting with laying it down in an old
                              > port barrel, which has been giving it some interesting fruity
                              > overtones....
                              >
                              > To be honest would love to try some of the home grown Bourbon so
                              if
                              > there is anyone near the ACT (Australia) i'd been keen to do a
                              taste
                              > swap...
                              >
                              > Matt
                              >
                              > PS We have also recently done the Melon (Midori), Butterscotch
                              Snaps
                              > (mmmmm), Dictine (that would be an aquired taste), every premium
                              rum
                              > they have... so so, one friend loves it but wife keeps saying "its
                              > just not bundy rum", the scotch isnt to bad, not good enough for
                              > drinking over ice but fine with dry giner etc.

                              Just like my wife with the cardboard packaged gin. She drinks it
                              every night but won't tell me if its as good as the original or not.
                              She's onto her second litre in about as many weeks but prefers to
                              refrain from commenting about its taste and volatility. I suppose if
                              she says its good it will give me free reign to producing "stuff"
                              all the time: something wives never do!
                            • Proko
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 20, 2002
                                Your Chilli Vodka sounds interesting. Can you enlighten me?
                                Proko
                                --- In new_distillers@y..., "Darryl Ward" <taliesin@p...> wrote:
                                > As I may have mentioned before, my experience, (mostly with the
                                Still
                                > Spirits range), was that only the Brandy and the London-dry style
                                Gin.

                                > Flavours for whisky etc just did not work, even if using premium
                                brands of
                                > flavourings such as Royal Piper.
                                >
                                > What I have done to create spirits/liqueurs from my base vodka is
                                to add my
                                > own flavourings.
                                >
                                > My usual concoction is aquavit (also called akaavit), and to make
                                this I
                                > lightly grind a mixture of mostly caraway seeds with a little dill
                                seed and
                                > fennel seed added, and leave it to soak in the vodka for up to
                                month before
                                > filtering it (through a fine strainer, NOT carbon).
                                >
                                > Other products I make in this manner include chilli vodka and
                                various herbal
                                > liqueurs - such as lemon-balm or mint liqueur, (although I add
                                sugar syrup
                                > to the latter-.
                                >
                                > I have also made a very good "blackberry nip" by mixing
                                approximately equal
                                > quantities of vodka and fresh, ripe and pricked blackberries...
                                leaving for
                                > a while, and filtering, (again WITHOUT carbon).
                                >
                                > Good luck and happy drinking!
                                >
                                > Darryl

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • Darryl Ward
                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 20, 2002
                                  Certainly

                                  It was about 8 years ago that I made it now.

                                  I took 4 litres of vodka from my pot still. (Back then I was NOT diluting it
                                  so it would have been 60-65%.)

                                  I put it into a glass jar with about 200 grams of long green chillies,
                                  sealed it well and left it in the Sun for three weeks, and then strained the
                                  greenish yellow fluid that was left behind.

                                  Boy, it was hooooot! However it was also legendary.

                                  Cheers

                                  Darryl

                                  btw, to make something closer to authentic Russian chilli vodka you want red
                                  chillies, not green. But I prefer green chillies so I used them instead.

                                  > Your Chilli Vodka sounds interesting. Can you enlighten me?
                                  > Proko
                                  > --- In new_distillers@y..., "Darryl Ward" <taliesin@p...> wrote:
                                  > > As I may have mentioned before, my experience, (mostly with the
                                  > Still
                                  > > Spirits range), was that only the Brandy and the London-dry style
                                  > Gin.
                                  > >
                                  > > Flavours for whisky etc just did not work, even if using premium
                                  > brands of
                                  > > flavourings such as Royal Piper.
                                  > >
                                  > > What I have done to create spirits/liqueurs from my base vodka is
                                  > to add my
                                  > > own flavourings.
                                  > >
                                  > > My usual concoction is aquavit (also called akaavit), and to make
                                  > this I
                                  > > lightly grind a mixture of mostly caraway seeds with a little dill
                                  > seed and
                                  > > fennel seed added, and leave it to soak in the vodka for up to
                                  > month before
                                  > > filtering it (through a fine strainer, NOT carbon).
                                  > >
                                  > > Other products I make in this manner include chilli vodka and
                                  > various herbal
                                  > > liqueurs - such as lemon-balm or mint liqueur, (although I add
                                  > sugar syrup
                                  > > to the latter-.
                                  > >
                                  > > I have also made a very good "blackberry nip" by mixing
                                  > approximately equal
                                  > > quantities of vodka and fresh, ripe and pricked blackberries...
                                  > leaving for
                                  > > a while, and filtering, (again WITHOUT carbon).
                                  > >
                                  > > Good luck and happy drinking!
                                  > >
                                  > > Darryl

                                • Tony & Elle Ackland
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 21, 2002
                                    > Can someone please tell me which essences they prefer to use.

                                    Midori is usually a winner, as is the black sambuca.

                                    Tony
                                  • Lynne
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 21, 2002
                                      At 06:17 PM 11/22/02 +1300, Tony wrote:
                                      >Midori is usually a winner, as is the black sambuca.

                                      As is the Still Spirits Citrus Vodka, if, like me, you don't have the
                                      time/inclination to wait for real peel to do its thing. Around here it
                                      goes down well with those who usually drink the heavier flavoured stuff
                                      like rum/bourbon/whiskey, which I don't make. I think someone else has
                                      already mentioned it, but the Still Spirits Classic Gin (blue cardboard
                                      package) is good value; although 'aging' it for a couple of weeks is a good
                                      idea. If you (or your resident gin drinker) prefer a stronger gin flavour,
                                      pop a couple of crushed juniper berries in each bottle.

                                      Cheers
                                      Lynne
                                    • Aaron Pelly
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 21, 2002
                                        Tried some Still Spirits Hot Cinnamon Schnapps a while ago. Quite good. The
                                        colour was over the top (like all of them) and didn't really get the "wooh
                                        yea"s from mates until it was fortified with some chilli vodka I'd concocted
                                        earlier, but on the whole pretty good.

                                        Still experimenting with the gins. The premium ones seem to be the worst so
                                        far. Over the top with juniper, and something I find "sweet?"

                                        Aaron.

                                      • leo_advocaat
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Feb 4, 2007
                                          Could anyone tell me if the Essences we use to make a finished product,
                                          are natural ingredients or a manufactured chemical? This is not to put
                                          any one off, mainly just out of interest.