Re: [new_distillers] Molasses question

  • jkirby007@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      Here in the united states, we have a staple in the south that is called
      sorgum molasses and that is what i use, it is actually about 50% sugar and works
      very well, molasses has a bad habit of boiling up into the reflux column if you
      dont start it out very slow in heating.
      I have used table syrup before w good abv and it is higher in sugar content
      abot 75 % it is a mixture of cane syrup and pure sugar AND some sorgum
      molasses
      ,it is a blend that werks very well ,i mix half and half w sugar {cane} and
      then ferment w ec 1118 yeasdt and some other ingredients
      hope this helps jesse jkirby007@...

    • Cary Rhodes
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        jesse

        is this the same product that I see at the farm supply store in a
        barrell or drum or other container with a pump that says molasses

        I don't know what its sold for, I would assume some type animal feed.

        cary

      • jkirby007@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
          i have used this type molasses,but the content of sugar is aprox35 % so there
          is less sugars to ferment but it works well,add to the molasses what you
          would consider an equal amount and that should work fine for rum, but it will be
          what is considered heavy rum
          the still temp will steralize any im purities that are in the molasses, thes
          type molasses here in the U S are the last runs of a mill making molasses
          or are some that is not good enough for human use due to the amount of
          impurities that are in the molasses,these impurities will be taken care of by care
          ful filtering of the molases when hot and by the still its self
          jkirby007@...

        • jkirby007@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
            I should have said to add a equal amount of sugar to raise the sugar content
            that makes heavy rum