Molasses question

  • arcticstiller
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      Which is the best to use, Refiners Molasses, or Unsulphered
      Molasses, Black Strap molasses, all of which are food grade, that we
      can order into the store. Is there a quick and efficient way to
      read/tell the actual sugar content, as the catologue doesn't state a
      percentage. Would really like to hear from someone a bit more
      knowledgable than myself!.......Where are all the Rum experts?, not
      like me, the armchair variety. I have looked up several past messages
      (on molasses and rum) in the archives,...so is 'Molasses just
      Molasses' or is there differences?.

      Arcticstiller
    • jkirby007@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
        Here in the united states, we have a staple in the south that is called
        sorgum molasses and that is what i use, it is actually about 50% sugar and works
        very well, molasses has a bad habit of boiling up into the reflux column if you
        dont start it out very slow in heating.
        I have used table syrup before w good abv and it is higher in sugar content
        abot 75 % it is a mixture of cane syrup and pure sugar AND some sorgum
        molasses
        ,it is a blend that werks very well ,i mix half and half w sugar {cane} and
        then ferment w ec 1118 yeasdt and some other ingredients
        hope this helps jesse jkirby007@...

      • Cary Rhodes
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
          jesse

          is this the same product that I see at the farm supply store in a
          barrell or drum or other container with a pump that says molasses

          I don't know what its sold for, I would assume some type animal feed.

          cary

        • jkirby007@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
            i have used this type molasses,but the content of sugar is aprox35 % so there
            is less sugars to ferment but it works well,add to the molasses what you
            would consider an equal amount and that should work fine for rum, but it will be
            what is considered heavy rum
            the still temp will steralize any im purities that are in the molasses, thes
            type molasses here in the U S are the last runs of a mill making molasses
            or are some that is not good enough for human use due to the amount of
            impurities that are in the molasses,these impurities will be taken care of by care
            ful filtering of the molases when hot and by the still its self
            jkirby007@...

          • jkirby007@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
              I should have said to add a equal amount of sugar to raise the sugar content
              that makes heavy rum