Re: [new_distillers] Re: Water Problems?

  • jkirby007@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
      I use my air compressor to areate water after distilling and it works good
      made a 3/8 1 ft long tube to hook to compressor tank and set the air
      pressure to 10 lbs and it works great about 5 min will do the trick
      also a dry compressor is the one to use not and oil filled compressor

    • jkirby007@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
        I forgot to mention that i drilled 30 1/32 holes in the tube to allow air to
        escape and closed up the un used end of tube

      • leehamc
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
          Hi Artic i have been distilling for years now but i have never
          bothered to boil my water, i just use tap water (i live in QLD
          Australia ) and have only had a couple of "stuck" brews that i saved
          with some extra dry yeast.

          By your description of corn flakes are you from Australia?, if you
          are distilling at around 90% you would not retain much flavour, you
          may need to consider a pot still. i recomend straining your wash
          before distilling as i have experienced the effect of a pot burning
          the mash and the cleanup was not fun!

          i now prefer just to use sugar wash and flavour with various flavours
          But that is just my way of doing things! (mostly whisky)

          don't know about others but i find a good dash of port (200mls) or so
          per 5 literes of flavoured spirit and leave it for a few months on
          oak (or years when you build up supply) is a great way of getting
          great drinks.

          have fun and hope the wife enjoys the new "hobby"
        • Lindsay Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2005
            Let me get this straight. You add whisky essence to the etoh, then add
            the port, then put it on oak?

            What sort of oak do you use? Is it chipped, sawdust, or??? Plain oak
            or charred or toasted?

            I have a big chunk of an oak tree. It is quite red inside so presume
            it is "red oak". I experimented with putting some sawdust into a jar
            of etoh. It has certainly coloured up but it smells of musty sawdust!!

            Cheers,
            Lindsay.

            <snip>