Water Problems?

  • arcticstiller
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hello to all,
      Let me start by wishing everyone, a Happy New Year. I have a
      few novice questions. First, I'm on my third wash, the first two
      were turbo/sugar washes, they went extremely well. I had followed
      all instuctions to the "letter". Results, #1 distilled out to about
      84%, and #2 at 91% with a simple reflux 1m tower w/copper
      potscrubbers, on my electric stovetop, in the shop! (still -no pun-
      making some adjustments)
      My questions start here, I read a recipe on Homedistiller.org
      (I did do 'some' homework) where a contributor says that He made a
      sugar wash in the normal way, then adds 2-3 pounds of "corn-flakes"
      or corn flour, to flavour the turbo wash, like Corn Whiskey. I tried
      it with normal tap water, and nothing, dead water and wasted sugar
      and yeast,of course!. Then I re-read that section, to find that I
      was supposed to use De-Chlorinated water. Whats the best/easiest way
      to get this out of my water? Has anyone had good results with this
      type of recipe? Does it really taste like corn-liquor? If so, Can it
      be done with molassas to get a Rum? Are these really the 'Kelloggs
      corn flakes' or flaked maize? I can get corn flour locally, anything
      special I should know here?
      Would you believe it?, my wife told me to "get a
      hobby"....Boy won't she be surprized!

      Any help will be appreciated.and welcomed...Thanx
    • thephantom207
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
        Welcome aboard. The easiest way to get rid of the chlorine is to
        let it set overnight in an open container. The next best method is
        to boil all the chlorinated water for a 5 or 10 minutes.

        Phantom

        -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "arcticstiller"

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
          Just another thought. If you haven't thrown out the mash, you might
          be able to use it by letting it set long enough exposed to the air
          for the chlorine to evaporate or to boil the mash it to get rid of
          the chlorine and then introduce new yeast. Maybe some of the more
          experienced distillers could address this when they read it.

          Phantom

          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thephantom207"
          <thephantom207@y...> wrote:

          > Welcome aboard. The easiest way to get rid of the chlorine is to
          > let it set overnight in an open container. The next best method is
          > to boil all the chlorinated water for a 5 or 10 minutes.
          >
          > Phantom
          >
          > -- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "arcticstiller"
          > <arcticstiller@y...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Hello to all,
          > > Let me start by wishing everyone, a Happy New Year. I have
          > > few novice questions. First, I'm on my third wash, the first two
          > > were turbo/sugar washes, they went extremely well. I had
          followed
          > > all instuctions to the "letter". Results, #1 distilled out to
          > about
          > > 84%, and #2 at 91% with a simple reflux 1m tower w/copper
          > > potscrubbers, on my electric stovetop, in the shop! (still -no
          pun-

          > > making some adjustments)
          > > My questions start here, I read a recipe on
          > Homedistiller.org
          > > (I did do 'some' homework) where a contributor says that He made
          > > sugar wash in the normal way, then adds 2-3 pounds of "corn-
          > flakes"
          > > or corn flour, to flavour the turbo wash, like Corn Whiskey. I
          > tried
          > > it with normal tap water, and nothing, dead water and wasted
          sugar
          > > and yeast,of course!. Then I re-read that section, to find that
          > > was supposed to use De-Chlorinated water. Whats the best/easiest
          > way
          > > to get this out of my water? Has anyone had good results with
          this
          > > type of recipe? Does it really taste like corn-liquor? If so,
          Can
          > it
          > > be done with molassas to get a Rum? Are these really
          the 'Kelloggs
          > > corn flakes' or flaked maize? I can get corn flour locally,
          > anything
          > > special I should know here?
          > > Would you believe it?, my wife told me to "get a
          > > hobby"....Boy won't she be surprized!
          > >
          > > Any help will be appreciated.and welcomed...Thanx
        • abeck111
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
            Welcome Arctic,

            I buy 50 lb sacks of cracked corn and rolled corn from a local farm
            & feed store.
            Both sell for less than $10.00 per sack. If you have one locally I
            recommend you try it. As for the water I usually boil my tap
            water.

            Best regards,

            Drew

          • suitcase1499@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
              Boil the water but it needs to be aireated to put oxygen back in it. I have
              used corn flakes breakfast cereal boiled a few minutes in the water with good
              luck both times and I have used mollasses in a turbo a few times with ok
              results really smells good working off.

              Suitcase

            • jkirby007@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
                always use declorinated water and soft water at that,
                yes molasses makes good rum and a lil sugar added will make heavy rum.
                Also yes you can use some corn products and it will somew what impart a corn
                flavor ,but not if you run at full reflux,that will take out all the cogeners
                and flavor, i have done it that way and made good corn by running at abot 20
                % reflux.
                and yse you can declorinate water by running thru your still and distilling
                what you need to use making your brew,I also do thios really often,as i
                generally amke about 30 t0 30 gallons of distilled water at a run,
                I dont know abot corn flakes ceral added they are toasted so some of the
                flavor i dead im sure , ive never tried it.
                I have had very good luck using quick grits ,I generally use jim dandy quick
                grits and they seem to have good abv production,
                Get your self a hygrometer and some speficic tools and you will do a better
                job.
                Also use this link for some help
                Home Distillation of Alcohol

              • jkirby007@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
                  I use my air compressor to areate water after distilling and it works good
                  made a 3/8 1 ft long tube to hook to compressor tank and set the air
                  pressure to 10 lbs and it works great about 5 min will do the trick
                  also a dry compressor is the one to use not and oil filled compressor

                • jkirby007@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 1, 2005
                    I forgot to mention that i drilled 30 1/32 holes in the tube to allow air to
                    escape and closed up the un used end of tube

                  • leehamc
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2005
                      Hi Artic i have been distilling for years now but i have never
                      bothered to boil my water, i just use tap water (i live in QLD
                      Australia ) and have only had a couple of "stuck" brews that i saved
                      with some extra dry yeast.

                      By your description of corn flakes are you from Australia?, if you
                      are distilling at around 90% you would not retain much flavour, you
                      may need to consider a pot still. i recomend straining your wash
                      before distilling as i have experienced the effect of a pot burning
                      the mash and the cleanup was not fun!

                      i now prefer just to use sugar wash and flavour with various flavours
                      But that is just my way of doing things! (mostly whisky)

                      don't know about others but i find a good dash of port (200mls) or so
                      per 5 literes of flavoured spirit and leave it for a few months on
                      oak (or years when you build up supply) is a great way of getting
                      great drinks.

                      have fun and hope the wife enjoys the new "hobby"
                    • Lindsay Williams
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2005
                        Let me get this straight. You add whisky essence to the etoh, then add
                        the port, then put it on oak?

                        What sort of oak do you use? Is it chipped, sawdust, or??? Plain oak
                        or charred or toasted?

                        I have a big chunk of an oak tree. It is quite red inside so presume
                        it is "red oak". I experimented with putting some sawdust into a jar
                        of etoh. It has certainly coloured up but it smells of musty sawdust!!

                        Cheers,
                        Lindsay.

                        <snip>