Re: [new_distillers] New file uploaded to new_distillers

  • jkirby007@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 31, 2004
      In a message dated 12/31/04 12:27:19 PM Central Standard Time,
      new_distillers@yahoogroups.com writes:

      > 20Terms

      neither of these links work for me can you re direct me and let me see the
      still and look at the plans
      jkirby007@...

    • Kevin Nowaczyk
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 26 4:47 AM
        Hey guys,
        I don't get why the bubblers wouldn't bubble. This
        picture could basically be found in any chemical
        engineering text on distillation. Sure it's not to
        scale or anything but all the concepts look right to
        me.

        Each tray holds a quantity of liquid and vapors
        leaving the tray benieth will bubble through to
        acheive the next equilibrium. This vapor provides
        heat to boil some more liquid, enriching it in the
        lighter compounds. As liquid falls from the tray
        above it'll increase the liquid level of the tray
        below, creating a flow of the heavier compound down to
        he bottom where they'll be drawn off as bottoms.

        Kevin Nowaczyk

        Message: 8
        Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 08:10:13 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Robert Thomas <whosbrewing@...>
        Subject: Re: Re: New file uploaded to new_distillers

        BR has got the point. As it stands the bubblers don't
        bubble, the vapours have a free path to the condenser,
        there is no separation at the various plates, and the
        input will just pour straight into the boiler.
        But appart from that it's a really good first attempt
        (G).
        Back to the forever mentioned links for a
        re-eductation!.
        I take it this came from an exam question or
        something?
        Cheers for the fun Alex,
        Rob.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 26 12:17 PM
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Nowaczyk
          <beakerboy99@y...> wrote:
          > Hey guys,
          > I don't get why the bubblers wouldn't bubble. This
          > picture could basically be found in any chemical
          > engineering text on distillation. Sure it's not to
          > scale or anything but all the concepts look right to
          > me.
          >
          > Each tray holds a quantity of liquid and vapors
          > leaving the tray benieth will bubble through to
          > acheive the next equilibrium. This vapor provides
          > heat to boil some more liquid, enriching it in the
          > lighter compounds. As liquid falls from the tray
          > above it'll increase the liquid level of the tray
          > below, creating a flow of the heavier compound down to
          > he bottom where they'll be drawn off as bottoms.
          >
          > Kevin Nowaczyk

          There are no downcomers, and no wiers. Without wiers there can be
          little to no liquid holdup on the plate. Without downcomers, the
          rising vapours will find the line of least resistance i.e. around
          the endgap of the plates, all the way up, not through the bubblers.
          Compare with this drawing...
          http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/Column.JPG

        • Kevin Nowaczyk
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 26 2:22 PM
            I'd argue that there is a wier just below the up/down
            arrow representing liquid spill-over. You are
            correct, there are no downcomers. Are downcomers
            necesarry though? The last facility I worked in with
            distillation columns used vertically oriented
            structured packing, and it's my understanding that
            columns looking like this are very rare. I'd think
            that in a well designed column the liquid spill-over
            could provide enough resistance to the gas flowing
            through it if the space between the wier and the
            column wall was sufficiently narrow.

            Kevin Nowaczyk

            >There are no downcomers, and no wiers. Without wiers
            there can be
            >little to no liquid holdup on the plate. Without
            downcomers, the
            >rising vapours will find the line of least resistance
            i.e. around
            >the endgap of the plates, all the way up, not through
            the bubblers.
            >Compare with this drawing...
            >http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/Column.JPG
            >

            >Slainte!
            >regards Harry

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • sonum norbu
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 26 4:57 PM
              Struth, my old, ball tearer pot still with it's new meat cooker
              thermometer and shiny extended lyne arm, plus my brand new carbon -
              complete with rust - filter made from an old plastic lemonade bottle will
              keep me in booze till my dying day and, it gives me enough to worry
              about. :)) As long as I never unwittingly use scented dunny paper in the
              filter again. Big mistake!!!! But I do find this stuff interesting.
              blanikdog

              > I don't get why the bubblers wouldn't bubble. This
              > picture could basically be found in any chemical
              > engineering text on distillation. Sure it's not to
              > scale or anything but all the concepts look right to
              > me.
              >
              > Each tray holds a quantity of liquid and vapors
              > leaving the tray benieth will bubble through to
              > acheive the next equilibrium. This vapor provides
              > heat to boil some more liquid, enriching it in the
              > lighter compounds. As liquid falls from the tray
              > above it'll increase the liquid level of the tray
              > below, creating a flow of the heavier compound down to
              > he bottom where they'll be drawn off as bottoms.
              >
              > Kevin Nowaczyk

              There are no downcomers, and no wiers. Without wiers there can be
              little to no liquid holdup on the plate. Without downcomers, the
              rising vapours will find the line of least resistance i.e. around
              the endgap of the plates, all the way up, not through the bubblers.
              Compare with this drawing...
              http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/Column.JPG

              SOARING, SAILING AND SKYDIVING web page
              http://www.angelfire.com/fl2/cloudbase/
              IRC server tessnet.cx

              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 26 7:49 PM
                <beakerboy99@y...> wrote:
                > I'd argue that there is a wier just below the up/down
                > arrow representing liquid spill-over. You are
                > correct, there are no downcomers. Are downcomers
                > necesarry though? The last facility I worked in with
                > distillation columns used vertically oriented
                > structured packing, and it's my understanding that
                > columns looking like this are very rare. I'd think
                > that in a well designed column the liquid spill-over
                > could provide enough resistance to the gas flowing
                > through it if the space between the wier and the
                > column wall was sufficiently narrow.
                >
                > Kevin Nowaczyk

                Nice theory, but no cigar. On initial startup the liquid will just
                dump all the way to the reboiler, then any resulting generated
                vapour will rise up the column which has little or no liquid on the
                trays, and nothing to impede its progress through the 'weir' gaps,
                all the way to the top. The amount of downward flow changes with
                each succeeding plate, therefore it is nigh on impossible to design
                for such variation. If you were to design the gaps to just the
                right size for each tray (a monumental task), at some stage in the
                process you would get a buildup of liquid on one or more trays and
                then the column would flood, then dump. Distilling action would be
                lost, meaning a restart. Don't forget the constant depositing of
                fouling agents e.g. calcium & organic matter, which change the tray
                perforations and your carefully engineered weir gaps. A 10mm hole
                (common tray perforation size) with a 1mm buildup around the lip
                will reduce the efficiency by 20%, and this variation alone is
                enough to cause flooding.

                Also, what about equilibration under total reflux at startup? This
                is mandatory when starting up this type of still. The bottom of
                each downcomer must be below the liquid surface of the next lower
                plate to form a vapour seal. These stills depend on pressure
                between trays. Perhaps a crash course in continuous distillation
                theory will help?...
                Left side of screen, goto Links > Distillation Theory.

              • Derek Hamlet
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 26 8:16 PM
                  The truly important question is what the hell is a dyed in the wool
                  distiller doing with scented dunny paper in the outhouse.
                  Struth.
                  At 04:57 PM 8/26/05, you wrote:
                  > As long as I never unwittingly use scented dunny paper in the
                  >filter again. Big mistake!!!!
                • sonum norbu
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 26 11:46 PM
                    Bloody wife stuffed up and the scent wasn't all that noticable in the
                    dunny!!!!

                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 27 1:19 AM
                      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@o...>
                      wrote:
                      > Bloody wife stuffed up and the scent wasn't all that noticable in the
                      > dunny!!!!

                      Hah!! A likely story! Then again, 'er indoors tends to have this
                      thing about houses smellin' like 'ores drawers. (don't tell 'er wot I
                      sed <BG>).

                    • james beam
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 22, 2010
                        Ros,

                        Topcat posted this picture back in 2001 and over the years, somehow his album was deleted.  Sorry.
                        JB.