Turbo Yeast

  • hydrografix@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2001
      Hello All

      I have just ordered some Super Turbo Yeast and I am curious in
      25litres of water and 6kg of sugar in reasonable conditions how long
      would you expect this to take to ferment out. I see all the
      literature which mentions 5 days but I find this hard to believe.
      Any ideas?

      Regards

      Bill
    • Ian Macsween
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 5, 2001
        Hi Bill - I use a product called " 8kg Turbo Alcohol Yeast" - it is made in
        Sweden by the famous Gert Strand (a brew store in Campbell River sells it
        but the main importer seems to be Brewhaus in Calgary. I have been told
        that this is the most popular yeast for our hobby. 8kg (16lbs) of sugar is
        used in my batches - but I have had success in adding a kilo or so more for
        a more potent "wash". Even without the extra sugar I have found that yes
        indeed - it does take longer than 5 days. The initial violent ferment
        subsides in about 5 days, but it can continue to work for at least a week
        more. And I do not want to thwart Mother Nature in her work. I have close to
        ideal temperature - approx. 22c - I wonder if the instructions were
        calibrated on a higher altitude? I am a sea level. I have learned that
        clarifying the must with Sparkeloid or similar product is well worth the
        trouble and the small cost. At first I distilled the cloudy liquid - worked
        ok, but the result vastly improved by distilling a crystal clear liquid. (I
        use a reflux - the element comes in direct contact with the wash - this
        causes the yeast particles to explode. I could definitely taste the
        difference when I used a clear liquid. "You can tell by the smell". Another
        suggestion: always treat your shine with activated carbon. I just add the
        carbon directly to the jugs of shine (I only water to 50% - but the book
        tells me 40%) When I filter the carbon out I "flush" the carbon in the
        filter with pure water - this brings the product down to about 45%. And
        don't throw out your used carbon - it can be cleaned - dried in the oven,
        and used many times. For heavens sake don't try to re-activate carbon in a
        microwave - I did! There must be trace mineral elements in carbon that will
        cause interesting effects when you nuke it. All I lost was my wife's plastic
        tray - the carbon fused to it. Good luck.

      • fizzynick@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 10, 2001
          Hi Bill,

          I am a new user of Turbo Yeast. I started a batch on Turbo 8 just
          this week. Blimey, what a vicious breed of yeast !
          It's trying to blow the top off the 30 litre fermenter !

          I was worried at one point as its temperature began to rise and hit
          30 degrees, so I moved it into a room with an air temp of about 10
          degrees. The brew has now stabilized at 20 degrees. Talk about
          exothermic !

          Oh, for those of us who have heard about the need for oxygenating the
          water prior to pitching the yeast and (like me) cannot afford extra
          equipment to do this I would recommend (if you have one) a kitchen
          stick blender, like what you use to make soups or sauces etc.
          2 minutes in that baby and the water had that much O2 in it, it
          turned milky !
          I was originally going to use a long straw and a lot of puff !

          Fizz
        • Ian Macsween
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 10, 2001
            Turbo yeast does indeed heat up the mash. But I only found this a problem
            when I did a double batch. I lowered the temperature back to 22c by putting
            in one or two of those bags (some chemical, it freezes fast and does not
            escape the bag) that you use for cooling your picnic chest.
            > I am a new user of Turbo Yeast. I started a batch on Turbo 8 just
            > this week. Blimey, what a vicious breed of yeast !
            > It's trying to blow the top off the 30 litre fermenter !
            >
            > I was worried at one point as its temperature began to rise and hit
            > 30 degrees, so I moved it into a room with an air temp of about 10
            > degrees. The brew has now stabilized at 20 degrees. Talk about
            > exothermic !
            >
            > Oh, for those of us who have heard about the need for oxygenating the
            > water prior to pitching the yeast and (like me) cannot afford extra
            > equipment to do this I would recommend (if you have one) a kitchen
            > stick blender, like what you use to make soups or sauces etc.
            > 2 minutes in that baby and the water had that much O2 in it, it
            > turned milky !
            > I was originally going to use a long straw and a lot of puff !
            >
            > Fizz

          • Ian Macsween
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 10, 2001
              Dear Fizz - After reading your message I am more than ever appreciative of
              our "relatively" pristine water supply here in British Columbia. I make my
              wash with water right out of the tap - sort of thought that the distillation
              process would get rid of any impurities - in spite of our nice water I still
              filter the water I add to the shine - I just use a kitchen type Britta
              filter. Best regards. Ian

            • ups474@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 10, 2001
                Those "instant cool packs" are nothing more than pure ammonium nitrate and
                water. When the two mix, the hydration of the ammonium nitrate (a
                fertilizer, and when treated, an explosive) causes a drop in temperature.
              • hydrografix@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 10, 2001
                  Hello Fizz

                  You have confirmed exactly what I thought, I will be trying the same
                  method in a couple of weeks when I return home. Fortunately I have a
                  cellar at home where I will be fermenting the wash... sound that I'll
                  have to install a fireproof door!!
                  Thanks for your reply.

                  Regards

                  Bill

                  --- In new_distillers@y..., fizzynick@y... wrote:
                  > Hi Bill,
                  >
                  > I am a new user of Turbo Yeast. I started a batch on Turbo 8 just
                  > this week. Blimey, what a vicious breed of yeast !
                  > It's trying to blow the top off the 30 litre fermenter !
                  >
                  > I was worried at one point as its temperature began to rise and hit
                  > 30 degrees, so I moved it into a room with an air temp of about 10
                  > degrees. The brew has now stabilized at 20 degrees. Talk about
                  > exothermic !
                  >
                  > Oh, for those of us who have heard about the need for oxygenating
                  the
                  > water prior to pitching the yeast and (like me) cannot afford extra
                  > equipment to do this I would recommend (if you have one) a kitchen
                  > stick blender, like what you use to make soups or sauces etc.
                  > 2 minutes in that baby and the water had that much O2 in it, it
                  > turned milky !
                  > I was originally going to use a long straw and a lot of puff !
                  >
                  > Fizz
                • Darryl Ward
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                    Hello all

                    I have only recently joined this list, so plesae excuse me if my question has already asked.

                    I have been distilling for 12 years, firtsly experimenting with distoilling wines (in very low-tech fashion using a still made from an old pressure cooker), until procuring a 20 litre plastic pot still 10 years ago which I use for vodka, (most of which is consumed as is, but some of it I flavour to make Akaavit).

                    HOWEVER, my question is about yeasts. For many years I would use a champagene or similar yeast, and concoct my own nutrient mix for the sygar was out of molasses, yeast nutrient salts (as used in winemaking), citric acid (for pH balance) and 1 tsp of marmite (a yeast extract product not seen outside of New Zealand) for good luck. I would also save of the sediment to keep the yesat going to re-sue next time.

                    For the past few years though I have been using the Ferm Tech / Still Spirits "Turbo Yeast" range, and experienced the pleasure of short fermentation times, (although to fair I am probably getting a slightly lower yield unless using the "Extra").

                    However, one of the local brew shops warned me against trying to re-use these types of yeast in a subsequent wash, so I have been buying a ew packet for every wash.

                    Has anbody tried this, or can anybody tell me why I should or should not attempt this?

                    I look forward to hearing from you.

                    Kind regards

                    Darryl
                  • BOKAKOB
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002

                      Darryl, if I understood you correctly you are re-using and propagating you own yeast for the next batch? Or, is it you are afraid to use "turbo" yeasts? Your question is not entirely clear to me.  As I presume, you are buying a new champaigne yeast packet for every wash, is it correct? Regards, Alex...

                       Darryl Ward wrote:

[...]

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • Darryl Ward
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                        Sorry, I was a little unclear.

                        I HAD BEEN using champagne yeasts and re-propogating them for re-use.

                        HOWEVER, since I started using Turbo Yeast, I used a new pack for each was as I had been advised against re-propogation bythe brew shops.

                        My question was basically whether anybody else had any experience of re-propagating Turbo Yeasts.

                        Many  thanks

                        Darryl

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002

                          No, Darryl,
                          I have not been propagating the yeast. I live in appartment building and the smell would sooner or later betray me. I did raise the question and was told that in order to do it, one has to maintain sterile conditions and use "proprietary" nutrients. I kinda doubt it. If there is enough of oxigene, nutrients and time the yeast will multiply and fill the given volume to the capacity. I think it is difficult to determine this "capacity" and aerobic process will generate some unwanted elements instead of the alcohol. There is also a chance of other organisms taking over. I did some saur dough experiments before and bread yeasts worked like a charm for months.

                          As I understood you had an experience in it before. Would you be so kind and explain how you re-used yeast from one batch to another?

                          That would be very interesting, thank you in advance for sharing...
                          Cheers, Alex...

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 24, 2002
                            Hello again

                            How did I propagate yest previously?

                            Well I must admit that I did not use any scientific method. When I was pouring the wash into the still, I got about 100-200 ml of the sediment-laden wash from the bottom of the fermenter, put it into a larger container, added warm water and sugar and stirred it daily for a couple of days until it was nice and frothy, and introduced it into a suitable nutrified new wash.

                            Hope that helps.

                            cheers

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 24, 2002
                              i read somewhere about turbo yeast having slow dissolving granules
                              which keep realeasing yeast and nutrients throughout the run which is
                              why they can't be properly propagated (to give the same results as
                              before). i would be pretty sure that they would be ok up to 15% or so
                              with added nutrients. but i dont think you will ever get 20% in 5
                              days. you may get higher % with propagated turbos if sugar is added
                              gradually over a few days rather than all at the start, the nutrients
                              they use are still a "secret recipie", although some have said they
                              have very high amounts of citric acid.

                              sterility is essential for long term storage. this can be done in
                              jars in the fridge. some company (white label yeast?) sends its yeast
                              out in sterile vials.

                              Service.
                            • John Vandermeulen
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 24, 2002
                                ups474 posted a home-made mixture of yeast and ingredients that gives similar
                                results to a Turbo-yeast. That was back in August (?). You might try the
                                Archives. I would give you the posting number, but Yahoo will not accept my
                                password, even if I block-copy the one they gave me.
                                N.B. Turbo-yeast is only one of the many available; You might inquire at
                                your local brewing supplies. It is basically EC1118 with an extra helping of
                                yeast nutrients, as I understand it.
                                JohnV