Handling coolant (was) Re: corn whiskey recipe

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kiss_my_ass@c...>
      wrote:

      > Harry....
      >
      > The coolant flow is about 3 gal per minute. I use a 20 gallon
      > container and recirculate it.....when the water gets hot, I change
      it
      > out with new from the tap....I need to change the tank about 3
      times
      > per run.....
      >
      > have a happy new year....
      > and thanks for the hard work on the forum and the ideas for the
      hobby
      > (to all the other contributors too)
      >
      > Kim

      Kim,
      You could solve your changeout problem if you employ some form of
      heat extraction from the reservoir. This is my solution ...
      http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/recycled_water.jpg

      My coolant flow is about 6 litres/min but I'm going for cheap
      operation. Hence the 23w pump and 54w fan. If your pump does 3
      gal/min then an extractor fan would give you the increased cooling
      necessary for the faster flowrate. End result is no changeout of
      coolant, for slight increase in power costs (in my case, 77w...less
      than a household light globe). It's cheaper and more eco-friendly
      than buying the water to waste.

      Happy New Year to you also, and everyone else here.

    • Dave Nay
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2004
        Harry wrote:
        > Kim,
        > You could solve your changeout problem if you employ some form of
        > heat extraction from the reservoir. This is my solution ...
        > http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/recycled_water.jpg

        Harry, how did you pass the pipe through the blades of the fan?

        LOL

        I am looking to build a similar setup for my cooling, so thanks for the
        diagram.

        Dave
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 29, 2004
          --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dave Nay <dave.nay@v...>
          wrote:

          > Harry, how did you pass the pipe through the blades of the fan?
          >
          > LOL

          the drawing). ;-))

          > I am looking to build a similar setup for my cooling, so thanks
          for the
          > diagram.
          >
          > Dave

        • bradr36
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 29, 2004
            --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...>
            wrote:
            > Kim,
            > You could solve your changeout problem if you employ some form of
            > heat extraction from the reservoir. This is my solution ...
            > http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/recycled_water.jpg
            >
            > My coolant flow is about 6 litres/min but I'm going for cheap
            > operation. Hence the 23w pump and 54w fan. If your pump does 3
            > gal/min then an extractor fan would give you the increased cooling
            > necessary for the faster flowrate. End result is no changeout of
            > coolant, for slight increase in power costs (in my case, 77w...less
            > than a household light globe). It's cheaper and more eco-friendly
            > than buying the water to waste.
            >
            > Happy New Year to you also, and everyone else here.
            >
            > Slainte!
            > regards Harry

            Harry, have you tried your setup by cooling the water leaving the
            lieberg instead of the water entering and did it make a differance?

            I operate large chillers in my line of work and this is how the
            condenser is cooled
            The pump is always located on the return side of the loop, the pump
            circulates water in the condenser side of the chiller (our shell and
            tube, lieberg etc.)and picks up heat then goes to the cooling tower
            where it removes the heat then returns back to the pump (drum would
            be the sump of a cooling tower)

            not looking for a debate, just wondering if i am missing something
            (ie. one would think that the pump is on the supply side being it
            feeds the water into the chiller but actually it is on the return
            side of the water that was has been cooled)(supply being the inlet of
            the cooling tower and return being the outlet of the cooling tower)

            BR
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 29, 2004
              --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bradr36" <bradr36@y...>
              wrote:

              > Harry, have you tried your setup by cooling the water leaving the
              > lieberg instead of the water entering and did it make a differance?
              >
              > I operate large chillers in my line of work and this is how the
              > condenser is cooled
              > The pump is always located on the return side of the loop, the
              pump
              > circulates water in the condenser side of the chiller (our shell
              and
              > tube, lieberg etc.)and picks up heat then goes to the cooling
              tower
              > where it removes the heat then returns back to the pump (drum
              would
              > be the sump of a cooling tower)
              >
              > not looking for a debate, just wondering if i am missing something
              > (ie. one would think that the pump is on the supply side being it
              > feeds the water into the chiller but actually it is on the return
              > side of the water that was has been cooled)(supply being the inlet
              of
              > the cooling tower and return being the outlet of the cooling tower)
              >
              > BR

              That's how I originally had it set up. It was only by accident that
              I set it this way when I relocated my still. The only difference I
              notice is that now there's a gradual raising of coolant temp over
              the course of a run, where before it stayed cool for a longer time,
              then suddenly jumped up in temp. This I put down to the low power
              of the fan. The way it's set now, the hot return water goes
              straight to the reservoir, and dissipates in 50 litres of much
              cooler water. This seems to be more efficient than what the fan can
              remove in the very short time the coolant is in the radiator. Once
              again, a stronger fan, or replace that idea with a refrigeration
              compressor setup, and things would be better, but more expensive to
              run overall.

            • Kim
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 29, 2004
                Harry...

                I tried an air conditioner coil but it was too small....I tried a coil
                of copper tubing but it doesn't act as a very good heat exchanger with
                out fins of some kind...I am holding out for a car radiator but
                haven't found one yet.....I will do a heat exchanger like you suggest
                if I ever get the parts...

                Kim

                --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Harry" <gnikomson2000@y...> wrote:

                > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Kim" <kiss_my_ass@c...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Harry....
                > >
                > > The coolant flow is about 3 gal per minute. I use a 20 gallon
                > > container and recirculate it.....when the water gets hot, I change
                > it
                > > out with new from the tap....I need to change the tank about 3
                > times
                > > per run.....
                > >
                > > have a happy new year....
                > > and thanks for the hard work on the forum and the ideas for the
                > hobby
                > > (to all the other contributors too)
                > >
                > > Kim
                >

                > Kim,
                > You could solve your changeout problem if you employ some form of
                > heat extraction from the reservoir. This is my solution ...
                > http://www.geocities.com/gnikomson2000/recycled_water.jpg
                >
                > My coolant flow is about 6 litres/min but I'm going for cheap
                > operation. Hence the 23w pump and 54w fan. If your pump does 3
                > gal/min then an extractor fan would give you the increased cooling
                > necessary for the faster flowrate. End result is no changeout of
                > coolant, for slight increase in power costs (in my case, 77w...less
                > than a household light globe). It's cheaper and more eco-friendly
                > than buying the water to waste.
                >
                > Happy New Year to you also, and everyone else here.
                >
                > Slainte!
                > regards Harry
              • Cary Rhodes
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2004
                  Kim

                  A heater core from a larger vehicle, like a truck, or something makes
                  a good radiator.

                  looks just like the coolant radiator on the front of a vehicle, but
                  is used for the heat exchanger inside the cab.

                  It will flow good volume without the restrictions in airconditioning
                  condensors/evaporators.

                  cary r

                • Kim
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2004