Re: Charcoal for aging?

  • beerguy84
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
      <morganfield1@y...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone, I was cutting up some maple into usable little chunks,
      > after I stripped the bark off, to turn into charcoal when I asked
      > myself," Gee, self, should I be removing the bark or leaving it on?"
      > I wonder if Uncle Jack strips the bark off before he chars his
      > ( to make Jack Daniels, of course)? I would appreciate any thoughts
      > or comments. After all, I would hate for my spirits to be all bark
      > and no bite! OOOH, that was bad.

      Please refer to the following online Lew Bryson articles from Malt
      Advocate Magazine. Both offer very good and highly detailed
      information on the process of Charcoal aging and filtering. Bookmark
      and come back often as there is a lot of good and best of all free
      information at the Malt Advocate website.

      http://66.148.42.205/html/am_linc.html

      http://66.148.42.205/html/am_char.html