Turbo Yeast - How to use?

  • distiller@mafudesigns.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
      Hi Everyone,

      OK - Its time to put my first batch on to ferment, and I'm going to
      use a standard Turbo yeast pack.

      I'm got a 30L fermenter, so will make up the 25L batch, which states
      6kg white sugar, the satchet of Turbo yeast and nutrients, and
      ferment for 3-4 days at 25 degrees. Other than that thr instructions
      aren't that good.

      As I understand it, I dissolve the sugar in boiling water, and make
      up to 25L. As I have a 25 degree constant temp room, I place it in
      there, and wait for it to stabilise at 25 degrees, take a SG
      reading. Then I add the yeast/nutrient sachet, give it a stir, close
      the fermenter and wait for it to finish fermenting.

      Is it as simple as that?

      After reading various posts and bits from both the books (Corn
      Whiskey and Vodka) it would seem it needs some airation at the
      start. I've heard people say just pouring the water in from a height
      will be enough. Is this correct?

      And finally, any other pointers with using Turbo yeasts?

      Thanks in advance,

      Matt
    • charles55me@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
        Matt

        Yes it's almost that simple.
        Aeration is a must for me. Aeration by dropping os shaking is a waste
        of time as the oxygen levels achieved are to low.
        Aquriums "R" us, Albion. 33571716 have small air pumps & stones.
        About $14.00 & $1.50 respectively.
        I give the wash about an hour on the stone. The yeasts will love this
        and will breed like there's no tomorrow. No stuck fermentation likely
        here.They will produce gas much more quickly to put a layer on top of
        the wash and prevent contamination.
        When the fermentation is finished I put the barrel into the fridge &
        take it down to about 2c over a couple of days. This sends the yeast
        to sleep & drops paricles. Result very clear wash and no use of
        finnings.
        Keep the trub from the ferment, boil it for a few minutes, chill and
        later add this to your next wash as nutrient.
        Graeme

        -- In new_distillers@y..., distiller@m... wrote:
        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > OK - Its time to put my first batch on to ferment, and I'm going to
        > use a standard Turbo yeast pack.
        >
        > I'm got a 30L fermenter, so will make up the 25L batch, which
        states
        > 6kg white sugar, the satchet of Turbo yeast and nutrients, and
        > ferment for 3-4 days at 25 degrees. Other than that thr
        instructions
        > aren't that good.
        >
        > As I understand it, I dissolve the sugar in boiling water, and make
        > up to 25L. As I have a 25 degree constant temp room, I place it in
        > there, and wait for it to stabilise at 25 degrees, take a SG
        > reading. Then I add the yeast/nutrient sachet, give it a stir,
        close
        > the fermenter and wait for it to finish fermenting.
        >
        > Is it as simple as that?
        >
        > After reading various posts and bits from both the books (Corn
        > Whiskey and Vodka) it would seem it needs some airation at the
        > start. I've heard people say just pouring the water in from a
        height
        > will be enough. Is this correct?
        >
        > And finally, any other pointers with using Turbo yeasts?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Matt
      • janpam ooms
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2001
          Hi Mathew,
          Its good to see that you will be distilling shortly.With the turbo yeast is
          very simple to use, just follow the instructions.Aeration will help but is
          not critical.You dont have to use boiling water as the Brisbane supply is
          warm enough to disolve the sugar quickly.The first few days you notice that
          the temperature will rise a few degrees but it will settle down..The high
          temp turbos are very good this time of the year.In winter i prefer alcotec 8
          as the results are unbelievable.
          Best of luck. Regards Jan.
          P.S I am pleased that the 60 litre 316 drum worked out OK.